New to DCS, where to start?

eladku

Just wanted to throw in that if you have a TM Wathog HOTAS, it is really intuitive and easy to operate even in a stressfull combat environment. I did bought the A-10C in Beta Status while i had a shitty Joystick and had to do Finger acrobatics on my Keyboard to get everything done. So, having the right Tools at hand can make a huge difference! If OP is more interested in just hoping in and have some Fun he should stick to FC3. If he is more the patient Guy who is interested in learning and operating a Plane correctly i would always go with the A-10C Module. Assumed he is willing to invest a lot of money on a HOTAS. Just my 2 Cents.

Edited by acerus77

Win7 64bit Ultimate / MSI MPOWER Z97 / i7 4790K@4,4GHz / Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E / EVGA GTX980 Superclocked ACX 2.0 / 16 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 / Creative SB X-Fi / Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB SSD / 1TB WD Black Caviar HD / Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 1050W / Be Quiet Base 800 / TM Warthog HOTAS / TrackIR 5

You have to be pretty serious to buy a $400 game controller.

Best thing I ever bought, In my honest opinion (IMHO) worth every penny. :joystick:

Windows 7 64 Home Premium, i5 3570K (3.4 @ 4.4GHz), Asus P8Z77-V LX, 16GB dual channel 1600 ram, EVGA Nvidia GTX980ti, 240 GB OCZ SSD, 3 TB Raptor, Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas and Throttle, Saitek Pro Combat Rudder pedals.

EDIT: The F-15C is like $3.50 or something right now on sale, cheaper than a tub of icecream :)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/250300/ (yes you can use the serial number for the non steam version if you prefer)

I used these guides to get me started, very good, plain english. But there are also plenty of video guides there and on youtube if you like those better.

Controls:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=324154615

F-15C

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=329617142

Edited by FlyingHighAU

Thank you all for your replies. I indeed waited (as per your advice) to the the steam holiday sale and got a discounted FC3 :)

I started with the SU 25 T because I found a REALLY good tutorial for it on youtube. But I encountered a bug where I can't see my nav point numbers on my HUD. This makes me want to switch plane TBH...

I'll have to see if I find a solution for this.

I recommend this great tutorial on the SU25T you find here. With that one, nothing can go wrong and he explain all you need in a very easy way so event I and my friends understood :smilewink:

Intel I7 4770K, Evga 1080 FE, win10 64Pro, 32GB ram, TracIR 5, Hotas Warthog, MFD Cougar x2, MFG Crosswind

I recommend this great tutorial on the SU25T you find here. With that one, nothing can go wrong and he explain all you need in a very easy way so event I and my friends understood :smilewink:

Yup, that's the one I'm going through right now :)

It's just frustrates me that my NAV numbers are missing

How many buttons do you need on your HOTAS to operate the A-10C at peak efficiency in combat? How many do you need on the Ka-50? How many of those buttons have multiple functions? Add them up, the Ka-50 requires less than half the buttons the A-10C does. That covers the complexity and pilot workload right there. The number of buttons doesn't lie. ;)

And that's what this thread is about. It's asking what modules are good for a beginner, the A-10C is clearly not one of them.

In the real world it is the A-10C that clearly has the superior ergonomics.

The A-10C is all HOTAS controlled in the midst of combat where as a real Ka50 would involve a lot of hands off stick button pushing. It's only the fact we can map all the controls to our sticks that gives us an easier ride.

In DCS though there is so much more enjoyment for me operating the Ka50 rather than the A-10C. The whole package of operating down low using terrain, partially hidden from fighters but always unsure on whether one is actually looking at you adds to a complete enjoyable experience for me.

The A-10C is a clickable dreamboat but I don't enjoy the experience as much as others do, getting out hitting a few targets always mindful of enemy fighters, it has an element of fear which I enjoy but ultimately its too clever to get you into too much danger unless you're careless or crazy. I'd rather be doing it in an Su25 vanilla, hitting targets and bringing that home in a hostile environment brings so much more satisfaction for me.

It's really a case of each to their own, but there is no doubt in my mind that the most complex and rewarding sim from a learning perspective is the A-10C.

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

Same here and worth it. thumbup.gif

Best thing I ever bought, In my honest opinion (IMHO) worth every penny. joystick.gif

No doubt that it is worth the money, it's still pretty expensive. Same deal if you have a car racing sim; a good wheel/pedal setup is over $300. If I win the Lotto, I'd buy both.

I'm stuck with what I have for a while. It's like flying a plane for a country whose defense spending budget has been cut.

Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P | i7-860 2.8Ghz | 16G Corsair Vengeance 1600 DDR3 | Asus GTX 750 Ti OC | 2 x Acer G235H | Samsung 850 256 GB | Windows 7 Pro 64bit | Saitek Cyborg Evo

I'm considering starting to dive into DCS and wondered if you have any suggestions? Which plane to start?

Is FC3 any different from other modules? For example, is there a difference if I buy the F15c module for 10$ or the FC3 DLC?

Thanks,

Good questions. I whole heartedly recommend diving in head-first and fly any aircraft module you desire. There is not entry point for a simulator and I recommend beginning with whatever excites you. Then learn the module completely or to whatever acceptance criteria you have.

If prop is your thing, DCS has props or, if jets are your thing, it has jets. Whatever you choose, crash it often and make plenty of mistakes. You will learn faster and safely. Make complete and utter use of this forum as a wealth of information and find a flying community online to help you with techniques and advice.

FC3 as a module contains legacy aircraft from the days of Su-27 Flanker and Lock-On. They lack complexity and are easier to operate while undergoing updates designed to increase their realism (F-15 and Su-27) while the Su-25T and later Su-25 originally had advanced flight and damage models.

All remaining modules except the Hawk and F-86 have advanced flight and damage models with increased operating complexity in the form of interactable cockpits and procedures. This means that one can push, pull, turn, flip, and click aircraft instrumentation.

Whichever you decide is up to you and your wallet. I own all modules except the Hawk and appreciate the simple and the complex. Whatever you decide, have fun and stay engaged. You don't need complex flight control setups or sophisticated head tracking or even an expensive rig. A simple joystick that adds a twisting axis for rudder (Logitech Extreme 3D Pro or the like) is all that suffices.

DCS has an integrated multiplayer environment so you never have to fly alone and as one who has been a customer of Eagle Dynamics since Su-27 Flanker was a demo, there is no other combat flight sim integrating an air and ground component with as much realism you will find.