Good First Module?

ronbo613

I just starting using DCS and so far it has been great. I've been waiting for a good combat flight simulator since CFS2, which wasn't working that well on my Win 7 64 bit system.

I am looking to purchase my first module for DCS, hopefully they will be on sale over the holidays, and I was wondering if the Flaming Cliffs 3 package would be a good way to go. Since it has a number of aircraft, I was thinking that would be a good way to get started instead of buying one or two single aircraft modules, which is all I can really afford at the moment.

Any input or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P | i7-860 2.8Ghz | 16G Corsair Vengeance 1600 DDR3 | Asus GTX 750 Ti OC | 2 x Acer G235H | Samsung 850 256 GB | Windows 7 Pro 64bit | Saitek Cyborg Evo

Hey ronbo!

Welcome to the forum and the sim community of DCS ;)

Well Flamming cliffs 3 is a good thing to get started with the DCS planes and options. But FC3 has only planes without a clickable cockpit and that means that you make everything with the keyboard and your Joystick/HOTAS.

If you want a "Hardcore-Simulation" than go for the other modules. But its really Hardcore to get started with all the controls and funktions :D

But I think to get started again with flightsims I think its the best way to go. I can really recommend it!

So have fun and a great fly in future ^^

Regards

P.s excuse the bad english pls

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Never parachute into an area you've just bombed

You never have too much fuel, unless you burn.

FC3 is a fantastic way to get into the sim and start finding out what type of flying you like to do.

It will give you fighter aircraft and air to ground aircraft from both the East and Western countries.

After trying as many aircraft as you like in FC3 you can then ramp up the realism by purchasing one of the DCS modules such as the A-10C to take it to the next level.

But in my opinion the best place you can start in DCS is with FC3!

Welcome to our community sir!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad

FC3 have a much more accessible frame work to learn. Turning on the aircraft and fly into battle zone is much faster than full simulation modules or whatever people want to call them.

FC3 aicrafts in majorty already count with PFM which enhance their flight dynamics over previous version of FC. They are great btw but still beta for some.

-Speaking on fighters: there are no generation 4 fighters on full fidelity modules yet, but you have in FC3, which are extensively used in multiplayer. The closest you get from FC3 fast movers is DCS MiG 21 at the moment, but it is a 3rd gen fighter and, mathematically, it should get it's butt kicked by any FC3 fast movers. But if you're an adventurer that wouldn't be a issue (like me and many others). XD

MiG-21 (I don't own) for what I know: it's a very well received module. Check some youtube videos of players taking down Su-27s and F-15s with it in multiplayer. Kill/Death ratio is poor tho...but looks fun XD.

-Speaking on Ground Attack or Ground Support aircrafts: FC3 has the Su-25A, wich is a cleaner version of Su-25T that everyone gets for free. I personaly got the 25A and loved it over the T for it old schoolness and the slight more feel of danger and low tech. It really is a beast to tame and a LOT of fun if you don't mind not having fancy electronics. Same goes to A-10A but you can count with a HUD on the same quality level as F-15C's HUD.

Under the same topic: "Full fidelity" DCS:A-10C. This is the master of DCS modules for me in the moment, even though I don't fly that much anymore after heavy hours for months on it. I got it at beta and started playing after a year when I got a decent GPU. It took me a month to master my very first DCS module from ground zero. I haven't yet found any other sim with such quality and complexity as the Warthog taking from the nature of the real aircraft and details put into the module.

-Helos Modules (I own them all): There's the KA-50, that's not really my cup of tea, but I managed to get a lot of relaxing slow paced experience from it. It is REALLY good flying and steathing into darkish enemy territory, even more with a friend.

Huey and Mi-8: Both might look very similar but fly and "play" alot different. Mi-8 heavier and much more delicate to maneuver and the Huey, with very strong structure and higher agility, count with two miniguns that can be pointed by co-pilot view (you can change seats on these two modules) whatever you want. Both are amazing.

Sorry to bother about some full fidelity modules, but the point is, they're very different in how to use it on the battlefield. One of them MIGHT be the thing for someone for a very VERY long period while FC3 wont hold much. It's a matter of personal taste and objective within the DCS World.

If you want fast deployment and high variety, Flaming Cliffs 3 is definitely the way to go. If you want DEPTH with still a LOT of fun, go for the module you find better for you. All play different. It depends on you in which one to go. The main site have a very long presentation for each different module by text and pictures for each capability of them.

There's no long enough comment here that'll cover everything you should know. :) Great flying and good luck.

I hope I've helped.

Edited by Czar66

I would start with the Su-27 and F-15 stand-alone modules and have fun learning (and mastering) their high-fidelity flight models. Here's the assumption that you would enjoy flying around initially more than in-depth buttonology of clicking around in the cockpit. Keep in mind, DCS-World also comes with a free Su-25 ground attack plane as well. Again, no clickable cockpit, however, amazing flight model. So these could be your first 3 planes to have fun with - including multiplayer.

Later on, I would delve into other modules that have more depth, i.e. clickable cockpits.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

How much have you flown the free DCS aircraft?

The Su-25T is a FC3 level representation.

The TF-51 is basically the DCS P-51 without weapons.

Between these two you can gain an idea about how you feel having simple avionics/cockpit controls vs full controls. The caveat to that being that the WWII planes are very simple compared to things like the A-10, Ka-50, and F/A-18C. If the workload in the TF-51 feels like too much, then definitely stick with FC3 until you're comfortable with the fully simulated planes.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

I just starting using DCS and so far it has been great. I've been waiting for a good combat flight simulator since CFS2, which wasn't working that well on my Win 7 64 bit system.

I am looking to purchase my first module for DCS, hopefully they will be on sale over the holidays, and I was wondering if the Flaming Cliffs 3 package would be a good way to go. Since it has a number of aircraft, I was thinking that would be a good way to get started instead of buying one or two single aircraft modules, which is all I can really afford at the moment.

Any input or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

FC3 is a good way to start. You'll get a nice selection of both US and Russian aircraft in both the A2A and A2G realms. Be aware that the individual F-15C and Su-27 modules are already contained in FC3.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Welcome to the forum and the sim community of DCS
Thank you very much and thanks for all the information.

Steam just started the Holiday Sale. Modules are with good discount. You can redeem the keys into stand alone DCS World outside steam too. Good luck on choosing.
I saw that and it is certainly good news. I am headed over there now to spend some money.

How much have you flown the free DCS aircraft?
I've flown the Su-25T and the P-51 for a few hours. I am a fan of WWII aircraft so flying the P-51 was a lot of fun. I wouldn't be worried about me shooting any of you guys down for quite some time.

Thanks again for all the helpful advice.

Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P | i7-860 2.8Ghz | 16G Corsair Vengeance 1600 DDR3 | Asus GTX 750 Ti OC | 2 x Acer G235H | Samsung 850 256 GB | Windows 7 Pro 64bit | Saitek Cyborg Evo

I just want to throw the WWII planes into the ring since they haven't been mentioned here really (apart from the P-51/TF-51). There are currently three modules available:

- P-51 Mustang (and the free trainer version TF-51)

- FW-190 Dora

- BF-190 Kurfürst

If you're a fan of WWII aircraft like you said you should have a lot of fun with them as well since they're all well modeled :thumbup:

But in the end it's a personal choice of taste what you want:

- WWII propeller fighters: P-51 Mustang, FW-190D, BF-190K

- First generation jet fighters: F-86F Sabre, MiG-15 Fagot comming Februrary 2015

- "Cold War" jet fighters (2nd and 3rd gen): MiG-21Bis Fishbed

- Modern jet fighters: FC3 with all it's fighters but they are not high fidelity which means no clickable cockpit and simplified avionics

- Ground pounders: A-10C Warthog and the FC3 A-10A Warthog together with the SU-25(T) Frogfoot

- Trainer aircraft: TF-51 Mustang, BAE Hawk

- Transport helos: UH-1H Huey, Mi-8 Hip

- Attack helos: KA-50 Hokum A /Black Shark

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg