Taxiing and the use of rudder...

I wonder if the rudder in DCS's K4 is lacking authority at táxi power settings / speeds?

I read in the manual and in a few posts that the way is to use differential braking, but on many youtubes I can observe the rudder being used even at low speeds for turning in the taxiways.

One possible reason would be that indeed for wheel differential braking the rudder has to be deflected, thus explaining why I see it being used during the turns?

In the DCS K4 when I unlock the tailwheel for taxiing, the only way I can control the aircraft is through the use of differential wheel braking. The rudder is innefective at such low speeds and power settings.

Any opinions welcomed :-)

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

I wonder if the rudder in DCS's K4 is lacking authority at táxi power settings / speeds?

I read in the manual and in a few posts that the way is to use differential braking, but on many youtubes I can observe the rudder being used even at low speeds for turning in the taxiways.

One possible reason would be that indeed for wheel differential braking the rudder has to be deflected, thus explaining why I see it being used during the turns?

In the DCS K4 when I unlock the tailwheel for taxiing, the only way I can control the aircraft is through the use of differential wheel braking. The rudder is innefective at such low speeds and power settings.

Any opinions welcomed :-)

the use of rudder in this case is probably more a case of conditioned response, there certainly is no penalty for deflecting rudder even if it is ineffective during taxi.

on the 109 there is no need to deflect rudder for braking as it has hydraulic toe brakes but it is kind of instinctive to use rudder during turns.

the use of rudder in this case is probably more a case of conditioned response, there certainly is no penalty for deflecting rudder even if it is ineffective during taxi.

on the 109 there is no need to deflect rudder for braking as it has hydraulic toe brakes but it is kind of instinctive to use rudder during turns.

Thanks Bongo, et. al. :-)

Maybe it is being realistacally modeled, maybe not :-/ I still believe the rudder should be more "alive" duriong taxiing ...

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

I wouldnt call it "totally unresponsive", I would say that the response to the pedals input depends on the speed of the taxiing and even more on the actual strenght of the prop wash.

As you can see, the rudder itself is not big at all :smilewink:

apples and oranges I know...but a ships rudder is quite small, but the rudder authority is quite strong(I know water is denser) in response to the prop wash with little headway and low RPM. Rudders whether on aircraft or ships, because of their location at the rear, have a huge pivot force

Edited by GT 5.0

I have a pilot account which describes taxiing in the 109. It is from a modern pilot who was flying "Black Six".

Is the G series different from the K because he talks about pushing the stick forward to unload the tailwheel? Don't we have to use the locking mechanism on the left to unlock and lock the tailwheel in place?

He talks about simply reducing pressure on the wheel. If you push the stick forward, the propwash will be deflected downward, somewhat reducing the force on the tailwheel.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!