So, Dora or Kurfürst?

JST

Now that the K has been out for a while, I think it's time to choose a favorite from these two (Atleast for a given scenario). Though the K-4, atleast, is getting a huge patch soon, but we'll see if any dramatic changes are made. If you want to speak out for the Pony, that's ok too.

Personally, I prefer the Dora for everything.

There's simply nothing in the K-4 that can beat the ergonomics of the Dora.

The visibility, stability, semi-automatic flaps (And no air-raid siren to inform they're lowered), very responsive engine and an excellent weapon layout with lots of ammo (Being a rather poor shot, this helps). I'm not afraid to dive hard, nor pull hard, even while going fast. I would never enter diving scissors with the K-4.

Of course, she doesn't climb 25+m/s sustained or have a flare gun (Which I so like, only real minus for the Dora.), but has so much more to offer.

She even looks better. :pilotfly:

With the Kurfürst, I knew from day one that she would have poor armament, but I was still hoping for the Mk 108 to prove effective, and then, Ponies both AI and PC just shrug off 3-5 hits with a little smoke. I have to say, it's very similar with the MG151's, but atleast the DM's are being looked into.

Waiting for the 262 to show up.

What about you?

My skins/liveries for Fw 190 D-9 and Bf 109 K-4:

My blog or Forums.

Open for requests as well.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I still think the Mustang is the best overall plane in the WWII lineup even though I really don't love flying it.

That said I think the Dora is the best all around fighter in the German lineup. Better at ground attacks, assuming bomber attacks (historical), and can take more punishment than the 109. The gun load out is better for combat against fighters (and you have much more ammo) but the 109 is a better dogfight if you find yourself in 1vs1 combat at a similar attitude and speed. They are both good planes and if used correctly should be able to contend in most situations. If I could throw out the armor protection in the BF109 over the pilots head I'd could deal with the visibility problems much better. I thought the bar above my head in the Dora was going to drive me crazy .... if I had only known. Mustang pilots don't know how great a view advantage they have till they hop into the 109 or Dora.

To me, the Mustang. Period..

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

At the moment i like the 109 more but thats simply because my favorite 190 isnt in the game. My all time favorite is still the 190A8.

When it comes to sexyness i have a weakness for the 110's. I hope ED decides to make this beauty someday. If so i have plenty of books on her in my possesion.

g8PjVMw.png

The 190D-9 is by far the best fighter in the set. It carries a truckload of 20mm ammunition, is faster than anything, rolls like a dream, and sustains battle damage like a heavyweight champ. Its only weakness is deflection shooting because of the thick lower canopy frame.

The 109 is a good fighter, but having to fear the wings ripping off when following the P-51 is a fatal flaw. I also agree that the Mk 108 has been a disappointment against human targets. If it were the 1 shot 1 kill weapon it should be the 109 would compare more favorably with the 190.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

At the moment i like the 109 more but thats simply because my favorite 190 isnt in the game. My all time favorite is still the 190A8.

When it comes to sexyness i have a weakness for the 110's. I hope ED decides to make this beauty someday. If so i have plenty of books on her in my possesion.

DCS:Bf-110 :thumbup:

Dora is better in many ways, just like in real life but i don't care. 109 is my favourite bird and always will be. I just love the cockpit, it feels like home to me. Ergonomics doesen't really matter so much in sims than they did irl and 109 gauges are well organized, very easy to check all important gauges between dogfight. And no one climbs like it.

I don't agree about poor weapons, while 30mm needs some fine tuning i found it be much more effective than dora's 20mm's.

And looks wise 109 wins hands down, no question about it. :D

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600k @3.40GHz | Motherboard: Asus P8P67-M | Memory: Kingston 8GB DDR3 | OS W10 | GPU: Sapphire R9 290x 8GBDDR5 | Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 24" | Devices: Oculus Rift, MS FFB 2 joystick, Saitek X 52 Pro throttle, Saitek Pro pedals, Gametrix Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Both. The Butcher Bird has more fire-power ( 2 cannons) and faster. But it can't turn like the Kondor that has a cannon firing from the propeller hub and two closely spaced machine guns at the nose.

The 190 is primarily a zoom and boom while the 109 give some turn factor without having to dump full flaps to shake a P-51.

The real question to ask yourself is, with the Spitfire's superb turning against a 109, which plane offer turning and zoom and boom? The 109 does while maintaining energy in the turn.

But I have both and highly enjoy both although awaiting delivery of my TrackIR 5 to take full advantage of DoW dogfighting.

Never flown the Mustang so can't compare it but from the German perspective then I would rather take the Dora into combat.

The only problem I have with the Dora is landing it for some reason as I struggle stopping it bouncing on touchdown. Seems strange to me because by rights it should be the most stable with its wider undercarriage.

Both. The Butcher Bird has more fire-power ( 2 cannons) and faster. But it can't turn like the Kondor that has a cannon firing from the propeller hub and two closely spaced machine guns at the nose.

The 190 is primarily a zoom and boom while the 109 give some turn factor without having to dump full flaps to shake a P-51.

The real question to ask yourself is, with the Spitfire's superb turning against a 109, which plane offer turning and zoom and boom? The 109 does while maintaining energy in the turn.

But I have both and highly enjoy both although awaiting delivery of my TrackIR 5 to take full advantage of DoW dogfighting.

Maybe the Jug? P-47?

The Dora is a piece of art I far prefer it over the 109.

Edit: Not to say that the 109 is trash as it's clearly not and it is the most identifiable luftwaffe aircraft of WW2. If you hear people talking about WW2 craft in general it's always Spitfire, 109 and Mustang and after that sometimes Zero.

DCS: Zero, get on that by the way guys :P

there's one in every crowd... ;)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Yah, I love them both, although I can't fly either for crap yet. And being a helo guy at heart, I've also forgotten how to fly the Pony too by now :cry:

But even if I currently stink at flying our propcraft, it still seems that the Dora is the easiest of the 3 to operate. Am I right?

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

DCS:Bf-110 thumbup.gif

Oh yeeeeah. I'd pay good money for der Zerstörer! And while they're at it, why not do a DCS:IL-2 whichever version too? I'd sell my wife for das Betonflugzeug goddammit :D

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Gotta love the Bf-110.

I'd like to see a Me-410, Hs-129 and He-219 as well.

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

I like both, each for it's own type of mission....

In terms of use for dogfights, the K4 is a better choice, at least for me, the only problem still being the ease whit which my wingtips sometimes part away from the wing root :-(

Regarding further models, I really look forward for a growing hangar of ww2 fighters / bombers, and I intend to support ED's "cause" because that's actually the only way we can hope to have further models. Each one of this models costs a FORTUNE in development. There's a lot of work involved, and it pays giving us the superb models we already have, but IMO, supporting ED and DCS World is going to be the "tactic" to get further models :-)

As far as I am concerned, I decided to give a go to the 50s Era fighters. Got the f86, next will be the Mig15 :-) Anyway, I can't fly those sophisticated modern fighter jets, with all of the complex systems they bring :-(

Edited by jcomm

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

If there was a A variant of the 190, like an A8 i would choose that over the d-9 and 109 because of it's superior roll rate IIRC, and very good low alt flying ability.

Along with it's fantastic multi-role ability.

That said currently i think the 190 is easier to fly for long period. But i am going to have to go the 109. cause of its pure ability to turn.

487th Squadron

Section Leader

I like them both to be honest. The Kurfurst just appeals to me as a blood and guts fighter and is allot of fun to fight in. My Squad has always flown 109's also so it feels very familiar. Obviously the Dora is much more refined and advanced in design. I love the sound of the Jumo 213 (thanks Diveplane) but would truely love an A8 version of the 190.

DCS bf110! Would be super cool but does not really fit late war.

I thought the Mustang was very nice to fly. Good at everything, but a bit sterile. The Japanese car of late WW2 - nice build, solid engineering, looks okay ... but boring!

The A8 is the best looking FW190, but the Dora does grow on you. Really nice to fly. Has a touch of class the others don't have.

The 109 is the classic German fighter.

Edited by weta904