Having Activation or Re-Activation Issues? Read This!

Cobra847

Lucky you. I can't switch from 1.2.16 to 1.51 without Mig21 asking for activation.

They said last patch that just one activation will be lost and the problem is finally solved... is not. It's clear that unless ED steps in to force them to fix this they will just continue to pretend it is fixed and throw some reg files and let the user solve it.

It needs to be solved with an update without any fuss from user. No player is payed for this work.

Due to upgrading the protection system (aka - fixing the issue, as you so eloquently requested)

you cannot switch between 1.5 and 1.2.16 without reactivating the product.

The next time you opt into a BETA, please understand the risks and issues associated.

That is the only reason you are seeing multiple activations, and we are not lying when we say you only need to re-activate once.

We are currently working on an alternate set of 1.2.16 binaries that we can manually (no further updates to the 1.2.16 branch) distribute that may fix this issue until 1.2.16 is deprecated.

Edited by Cobra847

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Due to upgrading the protection system (aka - fixing the issue, as you so eloquently requested)

The next time you opt into a BETA, please understand the risks and issues associated.

That is the only reason you are seeing multiple activations, and we are not lying when we say you only need to re-activate once.

We are currently working on an alternate set of 1.2.16 binaries that we can manually (no further updates to the 1.2.16 branch) distribute that may fix this issue until 1.2.16 is deprecated.

Why the other modules don't do the same thing? They use the same copy protection. Maybe you should spent more time talking with the other teams how they solved the problem instead of blaming the customer (for opting for beta... is beta for DCS World not Mig21 anyway) and bashing the same customer with negative rep.

Where is where it is said in what patch that opting for beta results automatically in burning activations when switching between versions?

You have a romanian in your team. Ask him what: "Ia-ti-o frinta ca ti-am dres-o" means. Describes perfectly your fixing.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Why the other modules don't do the same thing? They use the same copy protection. Maybe you should spent more time talking with the other teams how they solved the problem instead of blaming the customer (for opting for beta... is beta for DCS World not Mig21 anyway) and bashing the same customer with negative rep.

Where is where it is said in what patch that opting for beta results automatically in burning activations when switching between versions?

You have a romanian in your team. Ask him what: "Ia-ti-o frinta ca ti-am dres-o" means. Describes perfectly your fixing.

Because the other modules did not have a bug to fix -- prompting their development teams to implement a fix.

Respect is a two way street.

Edited by Cobra847

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

The bug is not fixed. Or it produced another one similar to the first.

There is nowhere a warning that users of 1.5 can't use 1.2 unless burning activations.

The original bug is 10 or more months old.

I can understand your frustration but you do little to understand the public frustration being multiplied. Thus you bash on to users/customers.

You could say I am a stupid user only if you fixed your bug in a timely fashion and for good. You haven't do that. But you unleash at users.

Respect is a two way street.

There is only appreciation.

Edited by zaelu

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

The bug is not fixed. Or it produced another one similar to the first.

There is nowhere a warning that users of 1.5 can't use 1.2 unless burning activations.

The original bug is 10 or more months old.

I can understand your frustration but you do little to understand the public frustration being multiplied. Thus you bash on to users/customers.

You could say I am a stupid user only if you fixed your bug in a timely fashion and for good. You haven't do that. But you unleash at users.

There is only appreciation.

There is no bug.

There is a lack of backwards compatability, becuase the BETA version differs from the present release version.

There is no issue if you use one version, and this change will mitigate any activation errors in the future.

I have no frustration with users -- and I certainly do not bash them.

If you need further, in-depth tech support, feel free to e-mail to support@leatherneck-sim.com or nicholas.dackard@gmail.com

Edited by Cobra847

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

OK, did you add this to first post today?

NOTE: Currently, it is important to note that due to updating our protection system, switching between 1.2.16 and 1.5 will yield a re-activation prompt.

Currently, we recommend that you stick to one version of DCS World until 1.5 is Final.

Because if you did then instead of throwing minus points asking for courtesy and being condescending in replies you could spend the time just telling or quoting your self about this new observation that you and the rest of people have to choose 1.5 or 1.2 for Mig21 and live with it until 1.5 becomes final.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

I'm beginning to be really really fed up with reactivation issues.

Mig 21bis is a piece of art, love to fly it, ... but I've just uninstall it.

When leatherneck has surely definitely resolved this. I'll reinstall it.

The actual clue is to have it only in 1.5 and not installed in 1.2 or 2.0. Ok I'll try that.

Next Leatherneck aircraft, i'll have that in mind for sure.

Don't anderstand how difficult it is to send a mail to all your customers and tell them " so far don't install it in 2.0 and not in both 1.2 or 1.5"

all my modules are in 1.2.16 1.5 and 2 without any advise from LTH.

Edited by snowsniper
  • Like 1

i7-10700KF CPU  3.80GHz - 32 GO Ram - - nVidia RTX 2070 -  SSD Samsung EVO with LG  TV screen 40"  in 3840x2150 -  cockpit scale 1:1

- MS FFB2 Joystick  - COUGAR F16 throttle  - Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

Glad I read this post, was planning to buy this aircraft.

I won't until this is fixed.

Shouldn't be burning any activations at all since it is still beta really.

Customers are helping you test and you are irritating them? Not a solid business plan.

In general this method of DRM is costing all involved with DCS money and hurting the popularity of the sim.

I have bought 7 modules in the last couple months. Think l'll hold off on purchasing any more for fear of this issue showing up elsewhere as I now have to run 3 dang versions of DCS World to get on the mp servers I like.

Edited by Cdr84

Upgraded MEMORY Licence activation used.

So i added x2 8gb memory to my computer, leaving the orginal x2 4gb. Started DCS 2.0 and got a activation usage.

Intel i9-9900K 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080tiftw3, Windows 10, 1tb 970 M2, TM Warthog, 4k 144hz HDR g-sync.

I believe that DCS uses Starforce for it's copy protection and it is pretty stringent on what constitutes a "hardware change". For example with a Windows OS activation you could pretty much swap anything in and out as long as it wasn't the CPU or Motherboard - which would trigger a requirement for activation. Starforce does not share this definition of a hardware change.

Luckily ED and it's partners are quite generous in the allocation of activation limits so it would take a lot of hardware changes to max out your allocation limits.

There were some issues recently with DCS 1.5 and Mig-21 activations - Leatherneck worked on it and compensated activation keys back to affected users.

Why isn't this stuff just licensed to the user instead of the hardware? After all I bought it not my computer.

This DRM makes just as much sense as going out to your garage and not being able to start your car because you replaced the garage door opener.

And then...

Allow GM/Chevrolet (Mr. Leatherneck), XYZ car dealer (Mr. ED), and the DMV (Mr. Starforce) come over to my garage and look things over. Take notes and inventory what is in there so they know if I change anything else like..., maybe buy a new lawnmower. Then I can use my car I have owned a while again.

All that to make sure I ain't making any bootleg Chevy's.

Wouldn't it be easier to just make sure I am me and leave it go at that?

Edited by Cdr84

so in otherwords, its wise to deactivate modules if you are low on activation's and plan on swapping hardware?

It you plan to activate a module on new hardware, it's always a good idea to deactivate on the old system first.

Basically (as I understand it), a deactivation simply re-grants you an activation, at the expanse of a deactivation. So AFAICT with 10 activations and 10 deactivations, you could activate and deactivate 10 times and still have 10 activations left (but 0 deactivations at that point).

Why isn't this stuff just licensed to the user instead of the hardware?

Valid question, but TBH wrong place. Maybe make a thread in Chit Chat, though such threads tend to get closed. Anyway, let's stay on topic here, lest this thread gets closed as well.

• 2 weeks later...

DCS2 Open Alpha Activation issue

Hi,

I don't know if this is the same activation issue as is affecting DCS 1.5 but I am running both DCS 1.2.16 and DCS 2 Open Alpha.

Each time I open either DCS 1.2.16 or DCS 2 Open Alpha I am required to re-activate the Mig21-BIS.

If I register using DCS 1.2.16 and only use this version then I am not required to re-activate, however if I use DCS 2 Open Alpha it appears to invalidate the DCS 1.2.16 activation and requires me to re-activate. If I continue using DCS2 only the activation sticks but as soon as I go back to DCS 1.2.16 I have to re-activate again.

It is only the Mig21-BIS Module that is needing re-activation. All the other modules are fine.

This is very frustrating. Hopefully this issue can be resolved.

Regards,

Bruce

LNS acknowledged the problem last month:

AFAIK, there have been no further updates yet.

Good thing is, if you're willing to invest a bit of time, you could use the workaround described in this post:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2519855&postcount=102

I haven't tried it because I haven't flown the MiG-21 in 1.2.16 since I installed 1.5, but to the best of my knowledge it actually works.

key issue

Still have the issue, i sent an email to you with my key a week ago and i still have no news. And when i try to send you a private message

It says that you have exceeded your stored private messages quota. :/

Ps: Sorry for my poor English.

Ps: Sorry for my poor English.
No need to apology for your poor language until every English speaking dude speaks your language as good as you speak/write theirs...:smilewink:

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Hi,

I don't know if this is the same activation issue as is affecting DCS 1.5 but I am running both DCS 1.2.16 and DCS 2 Open Alpha.

Each time I open either DCS 1.2.16 or DCS 2 Open Alpha I am required to re-activate the Mig21-BIS.

If I register using DCS 1.2.16 and only use this version then I am not required to re-activate, however if I use DCS 2 Open Alpha it appears to invalidate the DCS 1.2.16 activation and requires me to re-activate. If I continue using DCS2 only the activation sticks but as soon as I go back to DCS 1.2.16 I have to re-activate again.

It is only the Mig21-BIS Module that is needing re-activation. All the other modules are fine.

This is very frustrating. Hopefully this issue can be resolved.

Regards,

Bruce

Getting this problem too!

Loosing activations left right and centre!

When are Leatherneck going to resolve this?

Rig: MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk| AMD 5600 | 32 GB DDR3 | M2 NVME Gen4 1TB SSD | Samsung EVo 850 2TB, 500 & 256 GB SSD | Gigabyte AORUS GTX 1080Ti | Samsung 24" (1920x1200) |

2 x Iiyama 22" T2250MTS touch screen (1920x1080) | 2 x 6.4" LCD | Cougar MFDs | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Pro Pedals | Windows 10

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Getting this problem too!

Loosing activations left right and centre!

When are Leatherneck going to resolve this?

You cannot switch between 1.2.16 and 1.5/2.0 branches, as this will trigger a re-activation.

We suggest you stick to one version until 1.5 is Final.

Thanks,

Nick

Edited by Cobra847

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

Just a heads up: the module is still very sensitive regarding updates / changes of any kind, hardware-wise.

I've updated bios and had to reactivate Mig21 module again yesterday. Then I've realized that I haven't disabled the onboard gpu as to clear 1-2gb of shared ram, so it ate another activation (at this point, deactivation didn't work anymore) but plane was not available ingame to fly. Relaunched the game and it asked for another activation, which was again successful but same result ingame - no cockpit/control. Had to use the regfix again, like earlier when the protection system has been updated. I'm only using one branch and one installation of dcs 1.5 on the machine, so nothing else should collide with it. Luckily there are still enough activations to spare for me, at least for now.

Anyway, merry Christmas guys! :prop:

Sent from my pComputer using Keyboard

• 2 weeks later...

Couple questions;

Would a 1Tb USB drive or other plug and play hardware removal/reinstall give problems?

If I change hardware out for testing purposes but don't start dcs up and return to same hardware state then start dcs will this cause the issue? Problem for me if it will.

Couple questions;

Would a 1Tb USB drive or other plug and play hardware removal/reinstall give problems?

If I change hardware out for testing purposes but don't start dcs up and return to same hardware state then start dcs will this cause the issue? Problem for me if it will.

Sometimes this happens with USB peripherals, even when it should not.

The only way to know is to try. If there is an issue, we will work with you individually to solve it.

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations