Mig-21 or F-86

ronbo613

I can afford one more airplane from the Steam sale. It's a toss up between the Mig-21 and the F-86.

Which one should I get?

Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P | i7-860 2.8Ghz | 16G Corsair Vengeance 1600 DDR3 | Asus GTX 750 Ti OC | 2 x Acer G235H | Samsung 850 256 GB | Windows 7 Pro 64bit | Saitek Cyborg Evo

Both are highly detailed modules.

The Sabre is like a little sports car. A fast agile fighter. It's a lot of fun to whip around in, and because of the era it's from it's easier to jump right in and go.

The MiG is a beast. That big engine makes it more of a dragster. It's best in the interceptor role. The learning curve is a lot steeper. It's not just the radar and the switches either, basic flying activities like landing will require more effort and precision.

Which ever you go with now, grab the other when you can. They are both excellent.

With Mig-21 you can do interceptions, good ground attacks and of course you get the nukes. There are plenty of targets for it, you can even fly F-15C against it in many missions.

F-86 is so old that there is hard to find enemies to it, but now it has the Mig-15 coming so its nice with it.

So if you are to older Vietnam era, get F-86 and if more to cold war era, then Mig-21.

The Mig-21 Radar is pleasure to use, I haven't yet touched even ground attacks as air combat is so interesting to calculate/estimate take offs, times, and then try to get around targets to get first strike capability and quickly away before fuel runs out.

Mig-21 works well with Su-27 or Mig-29 too, so it is pretty widely usable in DCS.

So combine Su-25A, Mig-21Bis and you have great combo. Or even with Su-25T if you don't have Su-25A. Throw there Su-27 and you have all three completing totally different tasks.

Edited by Fri13

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I agree with the others. It's like choosing between whiskey and bourbon. They are both great in their own way. I have both but tend towards the F-86 because of the less steep learning curve. But I gotta' say, I'm drawn back to that Mig-21 more frequently just because of the challenges it presents. You probably won't be disappointed regardless. But when your able, get the other one as well. Merry Christmas.

Intel i5-4690K Devil's Canyon, GForce TitanX, ASUS Z-97A MB, 16GB GDDR3 GSkill mem, Samsung SSD X3,Track IR, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind pedals, Acer XB280HK monitor,GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT

OK, I'll get both.

I don't really need food, I need to lose a few pounds...

Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P | i7-860 2.8Ghz | 16G Corsair Vengeance 1600 DDR3 | Asus GTX 750 Ti OC | 2 x Acer G235H | Samsung 850 256 GB | Windows 7 Pro 64bit | Saitek Cyborg Evo

Depends. Both are good planes. What do you want to do with it?

That is a good point ! What are you looking for ? Personally I like the F86 because it's what I like but I have both aircraft. I don't fight or play combat things in DCS although I use the weight of an airframe with missiles loaded to fly etc. If it was a flick of a coin I would buy heads the F 86 and tail's the Mig 21....or vice versa !

Mizzy

I won't have any gas money but I will have two new jets, guess that kind of evens out...

I won't have any gas money but I will have two new jets, guess that kind of evens out...

You'll probably soon forget all about food and gas money the first few times you take to the skies in either of those! Well, at least until you find out you don't have enough gas money to go buy lunch.

I'm new here and applaud your decision. You only go around once in this life - enjoy it. Be responsible, but enjoy it nonetheless. Congrats!

:)

I've been looking for a good combat flight sim since Combat Flight Simulator 2 faded into obsolescence. Not just flying airplanes around, but a community and active third party developers that make the game into something more than just software and GPUs.

I've really enjoyed DCS so far and hope to learn the ropes quickly so I can shoot some of you guys down for talking me into spending my hard earned money.

I've really enjoyed DCS so far and hope to learn the ropes quickly so I can shoot some of you guys down for talking me into spending my hard earned money.

:megalol:

LOL Be wellcome, ronbo. Good to see new people coming into this sim and enjoying it!

S!

OK, I'll get both.

I don't really need food, I need to lose a few pounds...

Who deserves it more than you......

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

I've been looking for a good combat flight sim since Combat Flight Simulator 2 faded into obsolescence. Not just flying airplanes around, but a community and active third party developers that make the game into something more than just software and GPUs.

Keep in mind DCS is a (mostly) closed architecture game, so it will never match the development pace and number of addons the good ole CFS2 had. It has its strong points though and You gonna have lots of good time with it.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

the F-86 is on sale in ED`s store every other day at 70% sometimes.

the MiG-21 has never been this cheap (50% on steam) there`s no need to think twice here.

Anyway, the F-86 can be fun to fly , but its nothing compare to the 21, which can hold its own even vs modern fighters (skill is required of course), the F-86 doesn't have any use at the moment (atleast until Mig-15 is out)

IAF.Tomer

My Rig:

Core i7 6700K + Corsair Hydro H100i GTX

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7,G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3000Mhz

Gigabyte GTX 980 OC

Samsung 840EVO 250GB + 3xCrucial 275GB in RAID 0 (1500 MB/s)

Asus MG279Q | TM Warthog + Saitek Combat Pedals + TrackIR 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just to add.

mig-21 needs DCS 2.0 and edge i think. Right now it's a bit heavy on the CPU. (not just on my old one) :)

F-86 is not finished yet.

Bad advice on both counts!

The MiG-21 is power hungry, but it works very well in the current release of DCS World. Who ever told you otherwise?

The F-86F is still in Beta, but it has improved beyond measure with the available mods, and the latest updates. AFAIK, it was mostly the sound and nose wheel steering that everyone found lacking, and they have been fixed.

Please, consider the developers before making such rash, untrue statements!

the F-86 is on sale in ED`s store every other day at 70% sometimes.

the MiG-21 has never been this cheap (50% on steam) there`s no need to think twice here.

Anyway, the F-86 can be fun to fly , but its nothing compare to the 21, which can hold its own even vs modern fighters (skill is required of course), the F-86 doesn't have any use at the moment (atleast until Mig-15 is out)

....another reason for a Korean theatre map.........

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

Keep in mind DCS is a (mostly) closed architecture game, so it will never match the development pace and number of addons the good ole CFS2 had. It has its strong points though and You gonna have lots of good time with it.

There are still people playing and developing CFS 2. It's been around for a long time, I started playing it on Windows 98! Of course DCS is much more sophisticated and should offer plenty of entertaining and challenging sim flying.

MiG is indeed pushing current rendering engine to its limits, so it might be the only deal-breaker for guys with mid-range machines. Your i7 @ 2.8GHz and GTX750 will not yield stable 60fps at FullHD resolutions, but You shouldn't be struggling either.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

MiG is indeed pushing current rendering engine to its limits, so it might be the only deal-breaker for guys with mid-range machines. Your i7 @ 2.8GHz and GTX750 will not yield stable 60fps at FullHD resolutions, but You shouldn't be struggling either.

Yes, this computer was built mainly for photo editing and video production. I recently installed the GTX 750Ti when I decided to move my video gaming away from the Xbox 360. I run at 1920 x 1080 on dual monitors and can run most games on High with a few advanced graphics features turned down or off. So far, I've been running DCS on the pre-configured High setting and haven't noticed any lag or studdering, but I'm sure the more I play, the more discerning I will become. The i7 860 is a very sturdy CPU and could be easily overclocked to 3.5 Ghz or better, I just haven't needed to do that yet.