Help Me Pick a 27" Monitor

A local tech big box store is having a sale on monitors and I was thinking of picking up a 27" monitor if I could find a decent one at a good price. I do mostly photo and video editing so a lot of screen space is always welcome. I have two 23.5" Acer monitors on my Asus GTX 750 Ti OC video card.

Here's what I'm looking at. Both monitors are $199 and 1920 x 1080 resolution:

LG 27MP33HQ - This monitor has an IPS panel which is great, especially for photo editing. 5ms response time, which is good for an IPS monitor. It only has HDMI and VGA input which is not so good, but I have an HDMI port on the video card so it's not a big problem. I can't find a lot of information about this monitor, that's making me a little uneasy. The manual mentions "HDMI incompatibility", which may mean when using VGA and HDMI at the same time or maybe the nVidia RGB issue which is pretty much fixed now and says if the picture is "flickering" to change from 1080i to 1080p. Those two things are definitely a factor. The reviews I could find were pretty favorable. One year warranty.

Acer S271HL DBID - This one is a TN panel monitor with 6 ms response time, which is a bit slow, but the games I play work fine on the 5ms Acer monitors I have now and I doubt I will see a difference with 1ms. VGA, DVI and HDMI inputs, that's good. Seems there is a 30 pixel clipping issue with BluRay, but I don't use them, so it's not a major issue. Acer monitors are well known, this one seems to have lots of good reviews. Three year warranty.

Having a 27" IPS monitor would be great, but the unknowns with the LG make me a little nervous. Acer monitors have always been good to me, but the slow TN panel compared to the IPS is a factor. I realize 1920 x 1080 is a bit low for a 27" panel but it's all I can afford right now.

What do you think?

Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P | i7-860 2.8Ghz | 16G Corsair Vengeance 1600 DDR3 | Asus GTX 750 Ti OC | 2 x Acer G235H | Samsung 850 256 GB | Windows 7 Pro 64bit | Saitek Cyborg Evo

always a tough choice...I would choose the Acer ;)

Marvin "Cactus" Palmer

DCS:World 2.5(ob)

Gigabyte Z390 Designare i7-9700K (4.6GHz), 32Gb RAM (3600MHz), GTX2070, 40" 1080p Monitor, TM Warthog, Saitek Rudder pedals,TM Cougar MFD, and an ipad.

always a tough choice...I would choose the Acer wink.gif

It always seems to be that way, doesn't it? I would go for the Acer in a heartbeat if the LG didn't have the IPS panel. As a photo and video editor, it's hard for me to pick a TN over an IPS panel.

Of course I need another cable, but if the monitor has HDMI in and my video card has HDMI out, I'll try that first. I know the difference between TN and IPS panels, but these days, a good TN panel may be just as good or better than a low-end IPS panel. My preference would be IPS, but a monitor is more than just a panel.

Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P | i7-860 2.8Ghz | 16G Corsair Vengeance 1600 DDR3 | Asus GTX 750 Ti OC | 2 x Acer G235H | Samsung 850 256 GB | Windows 7 Pro 64bit | Saitek Cyborg Evo

Frankly a 1920x1200 is superior and better for sims.

Neither one of those monitors has that resolution.

I just ordered this one for myself:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009626

Couldn't resist the price, its IPS panel, and the 2560 x 1440 resolution. :)

Edited by rrohde

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

What about this one ?

http://www.legitreviews.com/asus-rog-swift-pg278q-g-sync-monitor-review_151277

144 hz

2560x1440

27 Inch

1 ms response time

p.s: wow, i'm buying it ! biggrin.gif Wasn't even looking for a monitor

I'm afraid my powerhouse GTX 750 Ti would not be the best match for that particular monitor. Besides, by the end of the year it will cost half of what it does now.

I just ordered this one for myself:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009626

Couldn't resist the price, its IPS panel, and the 2560 x 1440 resolution. smile.gif

That's a nice looking monitor. I like Acer but recently they've come up with some odd input options with their low to mid price models and why they continue to put crappy little speakers on large IPS monitors is beyond me.

The big Consumer Electronics Show is this week in Las Vegas, there will probably be a lot of 4K displays as well as new graphics cards(like the GTX 960) unveiled. The whole 4K deal didn't really take off last year so the industry will surely be pushing it as the "next big thing" this year.

That's a nice looking monitor. I like Acer but recently they've come up with some odd input options with their low to mid price models and why they continue to put crappy little speakers on large IPS monitors is beyond me.

Built-in speakers have never been a consideration for me. Maybe that's meant for your typical office worker who wants to listen to online radio while editing spread sheets? I am sure as simmers have already a decent speaker set aside. :)

Also, I am going to use the DisplayPort connection for that resolution. I am sure that DVI won't cut it. :)

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com