New Su-27 Model Avionics Issues

wilsonov

The automatic avionics functions of the new su-27 model (ie: "A", "H", "route following", "Lalt+3", etc) all seem to be either in-op or exhibit really strange behavior. For instance, the altitude hold function "H" produces extreme oscillation about the selected altitude. And, when trying to revert to manual flight, the plane pitches way up and/or rolls uncontrollably to the left...this can sometimes be recovered with manual trimming but is usually unrecoverable.

I've tried remapping key strokes, x-52 pro, etc. but still no joy.

I note that my other advanced flight modeled aircraft (F-15, Su-25t) all seem to work normally when utilizing auto functions: "A", "H", etc.

Anybody experiencing this or have comments on this ?

:thumbup:

Yeah I guess the PFM is still in progress! It helps if youre well trimmed but often they oscillate too much to be of any use. Its WIP.

Are you sure it is the PFM modeling that needs attention to fix this issue ? Its only an opinion but I think its more flight computer related, and the lack of modelling in that department.

I think the problem is that the autopilot still gives inputs as if the old flight model were still used: It's trying to fly with full stick deflection. I have found that I can use Altitude-Hold/Transiiton-level-flight if I level off and trim manually so there is minimal altitude change (<1 m/s) and my IAS is over 500 kph.

But yeah, needs fixed.

Oscillating autopilot definitely needs a fix.

Quick workaround I found -- when disengaging any autopilot mode, quickly use Rest Trim (Ctrl+T), which reverts what the autopilot "messed up". Just be sure to trim down as well right thereafter, otherwise the 27 goes way nose-up. :)

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

• 2 weeks later...

+1

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

• 4 weeks later...

From my point of view, it looks like the ED implemented all aerodynamic aspects of the Su-27, but haven't done the Flight Control System yet. That's why the aircraft behaves so badly. Although I know and fully understand it's still a Beta, I'd like to see it done soon. One of my colleagues, a former MiG-21 pilot, told me that this new FM makes the 27 handle much worse that the MiG.

I really hope they will get it done as soon as possible, as it is, it's not flyable (at least not safe).

Not if you go fast enough to stop the wobble. :)

I have been able to use Route following combined with alt hold to effortlessly navigate laterally and vertically as long as I keep the speed up. The route following is a little too aggressive in capturing a track and doesn't turn early enough when switching waypoints but I just switch it myself earlier to get a smoother transition.

I have also been able to use the attitude hold and altitude/bank hold.

Did the model creators not take this rig out for a drive before

They released it ?!?!

i like what the future holds for dcs but.....ed and the other devs should finish\fix the products that have been released, before moving on to other

projects. no offense intended

i7 4770k @ 4.5, asus z-87 pro, strix GTX 980ti directcu3oc, 32gb Kingston hyperX 2133, philips 40" 4k monitor, hotas cougar\warthog, track ir 5, Oculus Rift

i like what the future holds for dcs but.....ed and the other devs should finish\fix the products that have been released, before moving on to other

projects. no offense intended

Its still BETA AFAIK. :music_whistling:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

Guys, it's surprising (the wobble). But is it a bug?

A/P works fine if AoA is not too high.

Perhaps it's how it is in the real aircraft. After all, it's an early system...

Not a chance. The AP should works fine on an ILS approach at approach speeds with no wobble.

Guys, it's surprising (the wobble). But is it a bug?

A/P works fine if AoA is not too high.

Perhaps it's how it is in the real aircraft. After all, it's an early system...

I don't know how good the real Su27 Autopilot is, because it's build up on the FBW system, but a Autopilot can minimum as good stabilize the AC as the Pilot can do. So why should the AC swank at a speed below 600 kph if a pilot can handle this till less than 200 kph? A autopilot can/should react much more faster as a Pilot, so for sure, this is a bug!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X3D, System-RAM: 64 GB DDR5, GPU: nVidia 4090, Monitor: LG 38" 3840*1600, VR-HMD: Pimax Crystal, OS: Windows 11Pro, 2*2TB Samsung M.2 SSD, HOTAS: TM Warthog, Paddles: MfG.