How to correct for wind using bombs in the SU-25?

Hoggorm

Hello,

As the topic sais - how do I correct for wind in the SU-25?

Thank you

If I remember correctly, you need to know the wind speed and then use the diagram table on the cockpit side wall to do correction in flight for your altitude.

I have never managed to get that actual process either so I am working based very old memory.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

The table shows the magnetic deviation of the local plane.

Not modeled in the sim.

For wind correction calculation use some online sites:

for expl.

http://www.pilotoutlook.com/calculators/wind-speed-direction-correction-angle

Thank you xentxo, but I can't see how such correction tables can be useful? They only correct heading to be made good to avoid drift due to wind. They do not tell how to correct a bomb for wind as far as I can see?

you are rigght. i misread the topic.

actual i doubt that tis is modeled. if it is modeled i am pretty sure the a10c community can give further advices.

In any case, one should note this thing: at 100kph headwind or in calm wind condition, on each run the TAS(!) indicator in the plane must show the same speed

over ground.

The way you correct is by using math, but first you need data.

To get the data you either have to find it somewhere in the DCS code, or you have to use trial and error with other parameters fixed in order to experimentally determine a close approximation.

For something approximating the level of accuracy of a CCIP you need drag data for each different kind of munition you're interested in, and then you calculate a trajectory. It's a lot of work, takes a while, and is one of the reasons that in the WWII era a lot of the early work in computational science was devoted to applications in calculating ballistics.

A crude approximation would be as follows:

For a fixed:

Airspeed, Angle of attack, Vertical velocity, Barometric altitude, Altitude above ground, and munition type.

Drop one of the munition of interest, and time how long it takes to fall.

To correct for wind then use the wind speed in meters, multiply it by the fall time in seconds, and then correct your aim point by the resulting distance from the target in the opposite direction of the wind.

If the wind direction varies with altitude you have to do this as a piecewise function and add the vectors in order to get a final displacement.

Perhaps you can see now why this is normally either done before taking off, or delegated to computer control if at all possible.

An approach that doesn't involve a large amount of mathematics is to release the bombs at the lowest possible altitude, and release a lot of bombs. If you do this, fly in the same direction as the wind or opposite the wind, and start the first bomb slightly ahead of the target, at least one of the bombs is likely to hit if you have chosen a short release interval for the bombs.

**Edit: There are techniques for correcting for wind drift in the A-10 C in DCS, but the ones commonly used involve the plane's computerized navigation and targeting system, and if at all possible GPS guided munitions. These are not available even on the T variant of the Su-25. It comes from an era where the solutions usually involved some combination of slide rules, pre-calculated correction tables, and dropping so many bombs that at least one is likely to hit even if the bombardier's aim is poor.

Edited by esb77

Callsign "Auger". It could mean to predict the future or a tool for boring large holes.

I combine the two by predictably boring large holes in the ground with my plane.

you are rigght. i misread the topic.

actual i doubt that tis is modeled. if it is modeled i am pretty sure the a10c community can give further advices.

In any case, one should note this thing: at 100kph headwind or in calm wind condition, on each run the TAS(!) indicator in the plane must show the same speed over ground.

The true airspeed (TAS; also KTAS, for knots true airspeed) of an aircraft is the speed of the aircraft relative to the airmass in which it is flying.

The TAS should stay the same, but not the speed relative to the ground...

:)

Cheers.