DCS MiG-21bis Warthog HOTAS profile

DarkFib3r

I set up a Warthog HOTAS profile for the MiG-21 that seems to work fairly well for me. However, I am still quite new to the game and this layout may not be optimal once I gain a bit of experience. But here it is for those who are interested.

The most notable thing about this profile is that it maps all of the switches, both up and down positions, to in-game binds. This is not possible with the default DCS DirectX binds, so you get a lot of extra functionality with this without having to use a shift state.

You will want to change the Comm Switch Up to whatever your Push to Talk button(s) are. I use TeamSpeak and have a separate key bind for FRAPS, so I had to set up a chain of events for that button to get it to work for me.

To run this, load and run the MiG-21bis.fcf file with your TARGET GUI. The attached PDF shows all of the keybinds.

Please feel to suggest improvements. Like I said, I am fairly new to the game and this profile may not be 100% optimal. But my initial tests with it were satisfactory.

MiG-21bis.zip

MiG-21bis TARGET Layout.pdf

Not bad, i haven't completed my setup for the MiG21, but i think there are several wasted buttons here that could be used (Trim L/R, Radio Hat)

since you already went for TARGET , you can make use of the 3 flaps modes instead of just 2 ( Off/T.O /Landing) , of course those can be done in LAU also.

the 3 pos light switch on the throttle in my opinion is better used for Radar filter off/on/antenna up than nav lighting (need faster access to it than lights)

anyways , thanks for sharing!

IAF.Tomer

My Rig:

Core i7 6700K + Corsair Hydro H100i GTX

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7,G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3000Mhz

Gigabyte GTX 980 OC

Samsung 840EVO 250GB + 3xCrucial 275GB in RAID 0 (1500 MB/s)

Asus MG279Q | TM Warthog + Saitek Combat Pedals + TrackIR 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This is a noob ques. I noticed another thread that discusses a LUA implementation for the TM Warthog. How is that approach different than using the Target Profile? Is there any advantages one way or the other??

Win 10 64-bit, Intel Core i7-7700k@4.2GHz, MSI 1080Ti , 16 GB, 500GB SSD, LG 34UM95, Acer T232HL, TrackIR 5 Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

.lua doesn't need any special external program, just go into dcs, click load profile, click the .lua file, and you're done, no special drivers, no special software, just a couple clicks on a fresh install of windows with a fresh install of dcs, and you're done.

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ok so if I use the .lua then I don't need to run Target. Again I'm trying to get the various options straight so forgive this question. Wouldn't it be easier just to go to Options and map the controller buttons directly??

Win 10 64-bit, Intel Core i7-7700k@4.2GHz, MSI 1080Ti , 16 GB, 500GB SSD, LG 34UM95, Acer T232HL, TrackIR 5 Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

Sometimes people combine using external programs like target or the saitek SST, or joy2mouse or any other macro type app with the in-game button config so they can do more than one thing with a single button press, like you could set it so your flapsand gear go up, and RATO pods drop with one button press, but it takes more effort to set it up...

It's much easier to just bind everything in-game than do that, if you have enough buttons.

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

...It's much easier to just bind everything in-game than do that, if you have enough buttons.

I agree, if you have enough buttons, then using the in-game binding is simplest. I also like the notion of using DirectX binds rather than mapping keystrokes to my joystick buttons. I would think that there is a slight delay getting the button signal from the joystick, passing it trhough your controller software, looking up the keystroke(s), and then executing those keystrokes. The DirectX "direct" mapping in-game should have less latency, although whether it is significant I'm sure is debatable.

The main reason from me to use TARGET for this game with my Warthog is that the throttle has a number of toggle switches. If you use in-game bindings, you can only toggle the "on state" of your toggles. But detecting when a switch is turned off is valuable as well. That is why I chose to go down this path - it essentially doubles the number of buttons I can bind because I can map both states of a toggle. I am assuming the same thing can be done with LUA as well.

It is a pain to always start TARGET and load the proper profile before I play a mapped game. But the benefits outweigh the drawbacks and I happily choose this path.

Thanks for the great feedback, it's appreciated!

...there are several wasted buttons here that could be used (Trim L/R, Radio Hat)

My radio hat is used for PTT stuff. I typically program AWACS macros on the left and right functions. I was surprised that the MiG-21 doesn't have aileron trim or else I would have mapped that. I prefer to keep my trim hat focused exclusively on trim, so the left/right trim will continue to be unused.

since you already went for TARGET , you can make use of the 3 flaps modes instead of just 2 ( Off/T.O /Landing) , of course those can be done in LAU also.

Regarding the flaps mode, there are functions for Flaps In, Flaps Landing, and Flaps Take-Off. But those functions did not have default keybinds. So rather than inventing some default keybinds, I used what was available, namely Flaps Up and Flaps Down.

the 3 pos light switch on the throttle in my opinion is better used for Radar filter off/on/antenna up than nav lighting (need faster access to it than lights)

This is a great idea. I normally use the pinky switch on the throttle for lights and did this to be consistent with my other sims. But lights are the least of my worries and getting a 3-way toggle for other functions is valuable. I made my autopilot switch my radar mode, but perhaps I will switch it around. My MiG-21 seems to flame out a lot, so perhaps binding the Autopilot Disengage button to the starter button and switching the autopilot switch to be the emergency engine start switch would be a good swap.

Thanks for the feedback!

Attached is my revised TARGET profile for the Warthog and the MiG-21bis. So far, I really like this one. Some highlights:

• Radar modes on throttle pinky
  • Emergency start on throttle AP switches and button
  • DMS quick up-down for guns; DMS quick left-right for missiles
  • Ministick push button cycles pylon knob clockwise
  • China hat drops tanks
  • CMS is a nice logical place for SAU recovery engage and disengage (I use this all the time)

You will need to change the Comms hat on the throttle to the PTT binds you actually use. You will also need to manually bind TMS-Right to Radar-ECM in-game because of the conflicting default keybind that ends the mission.

MiG-21bis.zip

MiG-21bis TARGET Layout.pdf

Btw. here is my profile for Warthog + TH Cougars MFD, many auto functions like gear (up down on one key with blockade ect, weapons on the wheel like in real MiG ect.)

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=129553&highlight=mfd+mig-21

Example of press one key :) so its a big combinations ;D:

th_Podwozie_zps04398d15.jpg

Edited by YoYo

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Btw. here is my profile for Warthog + TH Cougars MFD, many auto functions like gear (up down on one key with blockade ect, weapons on the wheel like in real MiG ect.)

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=129553&highlight=mfd+mig-21

Layouts only for stick and throttle (it works without MFDs too):

02649a0f93cfe9ef.jpg

4c884214c0811b12.jpg

Loyouts for MFD's:

dcsmiglabels_zps8e00a9b8.gif

Edited by YoYo

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

• 2 years later...