Battery Capacity Too High/Alternate Flight Controls

tom_19d

Hi All,

I was playing around with abnormal/emergency procedures for the flight controls this morning and I may have found an issue.

I started in free flight with failures of the primary flight control hydraulics and generator programed. When the primary hydraulics failed, the aircraft failed down to alternate as it should. At that point the generator was failed also. I switched gen to off (just to ensure the battery was on its own) and pulled the manual flight control alternate handle; according to TO 1F-86F-1 this should mechanically force the hydraulic transfer valves to the correct positions for alternate operation and link the alternate hydraulic pump directly to the battery. At this point, the battery should only be able to provide enough current to run the pump for 6-7 minutes (AFM 3-19).

However, I was able to retain flight controls for close to 90 minutes. The cockpit warning and caution lights began to flicker and fail and the electrically powered instruments began to fall offline in about 20 minutes, but flight control remained. Interestingly, I also extended and illuminated the taxi/landing lights (ignoring AFM limitation of 185 KIAS) to induce a higher draw on the battery; these lights also remained illuminated at full bright the whole time.

I should mention I was in active pause and accelerated time for most of the sequence; I am fairly new to DCS but I assume if the engine consumes fuel in active pause, the other systems should function normally but I may be wrong.

It seems to me this indicates an issue somewhere between the battery and the alternate flight controls- I don't see any way a battery alone could power an electric over hydraulic system continuously for that length of time, but of course I could be missing something.

Thanks

Multiplayer as Variable

Asus Z97-A - I7 4790K - 32 GB HyperX - EVGA GTX 1080 Ti - Corsair 750i PSU

TM Warthog HOTAS - TM Cougar MFDs - CH Pedals - TrackIR 5 - Samsung RU8000 55”