russian equivalent to an IFF safety?

pepto

in the F-15 if you end up locking a friendly you have multiple notifications that it's friendly, the target lock box has an X in it and plus you can even identify the aircraft on the radar screen.

now jump over to the Su-27 and say you're in a bit of a furball and there are friendlies and enemies everywhere but you have a very limited amount of time to check and a visual check simply isn't going to work given the confusion, how do you know that you aren't about to splash a friendly? is there some sort of HUD symbology?

i originally thought that it would simply deny you the LA queue but that doesn't seem very helpful because say you're in BVR mode and you lock someone up but you happen to be like me and think that the only way to tell if it's friendly is if you don't get the LA when you get in range, that means that you have to chase down the target until you get in range and see if you get LA

this could be total nonsense and i could just be blind but any help would be great :D

Edit: didn't check correctly your question. My sincere appologies.

If you lock onto a enemy using vertical scanning mode or other method you might able to check target simbology on the HDD (Heads Down Display). I might check that! I don't usually fly the 27 but it is a very interesting scenario.

Good Flying

Edited by Czar66

I did a simple test with the editor to check the HDD while WVR lock with vertical scan and centered.

Circle for friendlies and triangle for enemies. The same as BVR on the HDD.

This is a friendly SU-27 being shown as a circle with a line to illustrate direction

attachment.php?attachmentid=111497&stc=1&d=1421428262

This is an enemy F-15E being shown as a triangle with a line to illustrate direction

attachment.php?attachmentid=111498&stc=1&d=1421428262

I hope this helped.

:smilewink:

Screen_150116_140813.thumb.jpg.0c5966248eaeb7a2dc43b1806631fe10.jpg

Screen_150116_140838.thumb.jpg.b6b5946698c7b13af7de329cbbda8bda.jpg

now jump over to the Su-27 and say you're in a bit of a furball and there are friendlies and enemies everywhere but you have a very limited amount of time to check and a visual check simply isn't going to work given the confusion, how do you know that you aren't about to splash a friendly? is there some sort of HUD symbology?

If you look at the above images that Czar66 has posted you will notice on the HUD down the left side are some symbols, when locking a friend with the HUD in English you will see 'AFR' (in the first image), when locking an enemy you will just see an 'A' (as shown in the second image).

This is the IFF indication on the HUD.

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

If you look at the above images that Czar66 has posted you will notice on the HUD down the left side are some symbols, when locking a friend with the HUD in English you will see 'AFR' (in the first image), when locking an enemy you will just see an 'A' (as shown in the second image).

This is the IFF indication on the HUD.

good catch! I didn't knew that or I don't remember from tutorials. Now you got two indications for friendly or enemy.

Edited by Czar66
clarification

Correct but ... on Czar66's pictures, you can see that both Radar & EOS are active.

On the HUD, you have several indications :

- EORL written on the left of HUD => means EOS + Radar are active

- ILL is written below the HUD => also means Radar is active

If you swith off the Radar (by pressing I), you will only see :

- EO written on the left of HUD => means EOS (only) is active

- No more ILL below the HUD

And then, the friendly Su-27 target will become a Foe - possible enemy aircraft.

Important to understand : IFF is related to the Radar (true at least for russian fighters).

When you scan for targets using your radar, you have the IFF interrogation on any visible contacts.

If the locked target is friendly, it will respond to your IFF device and you will get the round symbol on MFD + the AFR written on HUD + no LA at range.

If the locked target does not respond, it will be categorized as possible hostile (Triangle symbol on MFD + A instead of AFR written on HUD + LA at range).

Important to know : the Vertical Scan mode (or any Close Air Combat mode) only uses EOS by default. So IFF is off until you switch on your radar.

Note : If you switch from BVR mode with Radar On to VS mode, the radar will remain On.

So, to be sure not to kill a friendly, pay attention to AFR & ILL symbol on the HUD.

If you have ILL symbol and no AFR ... then you are 100% sure.

Edited by Fouga

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

EVAC : French virtual fighter school on DCS-World