Basic Control Questions

I'm having a good deal of difficulty learning how to perform the most basic functions to taxi and takeoff. I've discovered that when I have a key depressed on the keyboard, the joystick doesn't work. If I want to switch keys, like going from Ctrl+W to Alt+W to operate the toe brakes, I have to release the keys completely, I can't leave the "W" depressed and move another finger between the "Ctrl" and "W" keys. The keyboard and joystick cannot be used at the same time.

I don't know whether it's my hardware, the way it's set up or if DCS is not working with my keyboard and joystick. I realize I have a lot of learning to do, but I literally cannot even taxi a short distance and make a turn without the plane turning uncontrollably, usually to the right.

Any tips or advice?

Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P | i7-860 2.8Ghz | 16G Corsair Vengeance 1600 DDR3 | Asus GTX 750 Ti OC | 2 x Acer G235H | Samsung 850 256 GB | Windows 7 Pro 64bit | Saitek Cyborg Evo

That is strange to say the least.

This isn't a part of DCS. as I haven't heared of anyone having this issue before. What joystick are u using and is this being used along with any joystick software?

USB Keyboard? Wireless? are they plugged into a USB Hub or the PC back plate?

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

That is strange to say the least.

This isn't a part of DCS. as I haven't heared of anyone having this issue before. What joystick are u using and is this being used along with any joystick software?

USB Keyboard? Wireless? are they plugged into a USB Hub or the PC back plate?

It's an older joystick; a Saitek Cyborg Evo. All peripherals are wired USB. They all work with other programs, only DCS is giving me problems.

I've noticed that on different aircraft, the same controls work differently. Sometimes, the keyboard controls do not work at all. RCntrl+RShift+Tab to respawn does not work the majority of the time, forcing me to start sessions from scratch, making it tough to repeat situations and try and find out what's going on.

I'll keep working on it, but not being able to take off or land takes a lot out of a flight simulator.

Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P | i7-860 2.8Ghz | 16G Corsair Vengeance 1600 DDR3 | Asus GTX 750 Ti OC | 2 x Acer G235H | Samsung 850 256 GB | Windows 7 Pro 64bit | Saitek Cyborg Evo

After some considerable struggling and observation, I've come to the conclusion that my older Saitek Cyborg Evo output is not being correctly identified by DCS and possibly interfering with the input from the mouse and keyboard, or perhaps DCS is not correctly recognizing the keyboard either. I have used the joystick on other flight sims and it works pretty much the way it's supposed to.

I've ordered a newer HOTAS input device, hopefully that will work a little better.

After some considerable struggling and observation, I've come to the conclusion that my older Saitek Cyborg Evo output is not being correctly identified by DCS and possibly interfering with the input from the mouse and keyboard, or perhaps DCS is not correctly recognizing the keyboard either. I have used the joystick on other flight sims and it works pretty much the way it's supposed to.

I've ordered a newer HOTAS input device, hopefully that will work a little better.

That's a very odd issue, it could be Windows getting in the way, try this to see if it makes a difference:

Go into Devices and Printers.

Right click on the Saitek Evo.

Click on Game Controller Settings

Click on Advanced

Make sure the drop down for "Select Device to use with older programs" is set to the Saitek Evo.

That's a very odd issue, it could be Windows getting in the way, try this to see if it makes a difference:

Go into Devices and Printers.

Right click on the Saitek Evo.

Click on Game Controller Settings

Click on Advanced

Make sure the drop down for "Select Device to use with older programs" is set to the Saitek Evo.

I've checked that out and everything is set correctly. DCS is a very complex piece of software, especially when in comes to device input. Making it work with every joystick/input device is pretty much impossible. The Saitek EVO I have is really old. I hoped it would work with DCS but I'm not surprised that it does not.

The keyboard I have is kind of a non-standard A-Jazz gaming keyboard. Again, to find out some of the key bindings are not working is kind of a bummer, but not a big shocker.

The problem is that I'm trying to learn the ropes of DCS, which is not exactly simple, and with the odd hardware input problems, I didn't know if difficulties I was having were due to the hardware configuration(easy to blame) or that I suck at flying so far(pretty much true).