New to DCS, a couple questions.

I've done a fair amount of simming in my time, mainly with FSX so I'm fairly comfortable with the idea of complexity and learning to fly a single machine.

However, I was wondering what you guys thought was the best road to go down in order to get good with this sim. I have been really enjoying the SU-25T and have gone through the tutorials enough that I'm getting somewhat familiar with its characteristics.

What would you recommend I do next to hone my skills with the aircraft? Are there some good user created training missions out there? Are there some I already have? Should I create my own? (I have FC3 as well by the way.)

Secondly, I have trackir. I have noticed that it's really super 'floaty' in comparison to the other things I use it for. For instance, the hud always seems to get out of line and I can't seem to keep it in view. Are there proper settings people use for it that I don't know about? I'd appreciate some help here.

Third, are their any 'must-have' mods that I should consider downloading? I know 2.0 is somewhere on the horizon, so I might just hold off on this. But if there are some textures that I absolutely must be using, I'd love to know about them.

Thanks a lot! I'm having a blast!

What would you recommend I do next to hone my skills with the aircraft? Are there some good user created training missions out there? Are there some I already have? Should I create my own? (I have FC3 as well by the way.)

Hello and welcome to our Community :thumbup:

I would advice you to get some payware module. You can wait some time for sales, there are few during the year.

Full payware module will give you much more "blast".

In which types of aircraft are you interested?

Props - P51

Helos - Huey

Modern jets - A10C

Good luck!

• Like 1

I remember when sex was safe and flying was dangerous.

Not to mention MIG 21 Bis by 3rd party developer Leatherneck simulations :thumbup:

@ TrackIr being "floaty" ... its called 6 DOF (degree of freedom) so you can move your

sight Up-Down, Left-right, and leaning to both sides.

Edited by <51>GRIZZLY
  • Like 1

Right on, thanks for the welcome.

I think I'm going to stick with the SU-25 for now, and probably hit up the Mig-21 when it goes on sale. The A-10C seems like a little much for me right now, (the start-up and flying look like a lot of fun, but I'm still pretty new to combat.)

I've found a couple videos on setting up the trackir for DCS after I posted, thanks very much.

Anyway, I'll figure the rest out... that's part of the fun isn't it? Thanks for the replies.

Hi, JughedJones! Don't forget to install these amazing mods: Mustang's DCS World environmental shaders mod and the PeterP's Clickable Radio Menu for DCS World.

I hope you have lots of fun! :thumbup:

• Like 1

CPU Intel Core i7-4770K | MOBO Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z87 | RAM 16 GB - 1600MHz - G.Skill Sniper | GPU GeForce GTX 770 EVGA Classified 4 GB - Driver 390.77 WHQL | AUDIO Creative Sound Blaster Recon3Di

OS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | HOTAS Saitek X52 Pro | RUDDER Logitech G27 Pedals with Leo Bodnar's Pedals Adapter | TRACKER opentrack 2.3.9 - Logitech Webcam C210 - TrackClip Pro

Hi , i would also recommend the A-10C. There are hundreds of hours worth of fun to have with it.

As for trackir, i can recommend two things :

1 : Reduce your sensitivity settings near the center so you dont move around alot when near center.

or

2 : Do what i just did about a week ago , and DISABLE the horizontal and vertical axis entirely. You will lose out on 2 degrees of freedom naturally but it keeps the hud perfectly in view all the time. (when looking forward anyway) I personally like this alot, as i've also had problems with the HUD being partially not visible. Pain in the ass , especially if youre flying long missions and dont want to pause trackir or recenter it all the time.

That may be a bit extreme and its really personal preference , but for me it helps alot. There isnt much use to move your head vertically anyway. (You can manually adjust your seat's height in the A-10c with a switch in the cockpit)

For TrackIR, I've bound my center button to my joystick so I can quickly be where I need to be. I find I move about a lot during a flight. I wouldn't want to lose any of my axis.

In my opinion the vertical and horizontal axis' (i think its X and Z) are completely useless and do nothing but mess up HUD visibility, disabling them doesn affect your ability to look around in any way

In the MiG-21 and the Su-25(T) there's plenty of stuff obscuring your view (canopy frame, mirror in the MiG, gun camera). Being able to look around them is a lifesaver in combat. After a little practice I got used to 6DOF and in the long run it's probably better idea than turning it off.

If you enjoy helicopters, the Ka-50 is a great place to start, and you can also learn about flying and using weapons at the same time which is good practice for something like the A-10C.

And like Imp said, the ability to look around (TrackIR) is pretty much essential.

RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB DDR4 2666 RAM | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz | Asrock X570 | CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle | TM MFDs | TrackIR 5

Thanks again for all the replies. I ended up getting a pretty nice tracker profile from Gerry Abbot's channel. Coupling that with mapping a button on my hot as to pause and center, and I'm starting to see what's what!

Pretty excited about all this. Now I'm just going to add the shaders Joy suggested, and I'm off to the races!

Does anybody fly the su-25t a lot that uses an X-52?

Wondering if there's a good template for mapping controls. I've got it kind of hokey right now. Does anybody map their targeting slew to a hat?

I'm pretty unclear on the whole thing, such as modifiers and such. Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=42060

Lots of useful resources here. There is a nice DCS track IR profile from YASSEY IIRC which is a good start:)

And welcome to the forums:thumbup:

• Like 1

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Welcome to Pilot's Heaven ;)

The Su-25T is an outstanding airplane, well worth every hour of training put into it.

I also recommend a Helicopter as your next project and I personally think the Kamov Ka-50 is the best bet for you as some weapons and systems are similar or the same to the Su-25T, kind of an easy transition.

I also recommend that you go MP and sharpen your skills online. The Su-25T is the perfect weapon of choice to mix up some SAM and AAA sites, later followed by the Ka-50 to finish the job.

I highly recommend the 104th Phoenix Server, simply the best server out there IMHO.

As bare metal as it goes, might be a bit challenging to get a foot on the ground on your first sorties but once you feel home, no other server will do it. Less is often more and F10 was for what ?? ahhh to see where you machine is located on the aerodrome so you taxi the right way, haha.

Bit

• Like 1

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

You guys are fantastic. The links you have provided are excellent and helping a lot.

I work a graveyard shift and sit in front of a computer for most of the night so all this reading is fantastic and gets me pumped to go flying again!

It's interesting how many of you guys are suggesting a helicopter. I never considered it, but it seems to be almost unanimous. I'll certainly watch for one to go on sale.

Thanks again everyone, and if anyone has anymore suggestions, tips, or especially good created missions for me to try out, I'd love that too!

Cheers!

p.s. @bitmaster I'll certainly remember to give that server a look when I feel I can get in without completely making an ass out of myself. Thanks for the suggestion.

So, a bit of an update.

Thanks to the help I got from you guys, I mapped out my X52 pretty well, downloaded an absolutely INCREDIBLE profile for my track ir, (thanks cibit and yassey,) and ended up pulling off a pretty successful mission in which I wiped out a few bad guys AND made it back to base with a safe landing!! Woohoo!!!

So, I'm left with a rather picky question: no matter what tweaks I try, it seems I'm left with some pretty intrusive "Jaggies," especially right below my hud and around the borders of the cockpit.

Now, Im aware that there's some limitations that won't be dealt with till 2.0, but does everyone get these?

I'm running a 4770 at 4.5, GTX 780 EVGA, 16 gigs Corsair. I've tried down sampling, that gives me a slight improvement with a pretty big hit to smoothness. At native 1080p, I'm locked at 60 frames, (vsync I assume) and its a smooth as snot, but I get those bummer Jaggies.

Anyone have a suggestion? Should I just shut up and remember how awesome flight sims are now and stop sweating the small stuff? I really don't want to get too OCD about minutia like a cliche' FSX dork!

Are there nvidia fixes you guys use?

Thanks again to all.

Edited by JughedJones

The most in-depth Study of your question was done by another users. I have never seen one so detailed as His. Take a look here.

His study was done with an AMD GPU but the settings study is so detailed that any GPU would benefit from it.

Make sure you down clock the GPU some of those 780's are over clocked from the factory and DCS has issues with them.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

I would suggest the A10C: not too difficult to fly and pretty good tutorials for weapon delivery.

Be prepared however to invest some time: not so much for flying but for the handling of the weapon systems; but, what I understood: when you master her, you can handle the real bird also (well, so to say.......:smilewink:).

When you have some money left: the Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas is esspecially made for her :)

edit: on my system of about 5 years the A10C runs at 20 fps with medium to high settings.

edit 2: Oh, forgot to mention: 20 fps on 30" monitor with 2560*1600: quite not bad at all :thumbup:

Edited by wavn

Best regards, Willem

hello from me mates. I am also interested on SU-25T. I fly 2 or 3 months on it and I think I get the basics, but I think to try multiplayer servers. is there some traning servers or some place in forum where I can read about creating my own multi game to play with my friends and how to make it in dcs. I have tried several times but only I can enter game my friends cant enter fly (they stay as spectators).