Windows X, Free upgrade for the first year.

That was clear to me but, apparently, for 'Ronbo316' it wasn't.

Guess I'm just not as smart as you are. Reckon I need to spend more time playing computer games and hanging around internet forums.

Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P | i7-860 2.8Ghz | 16G Corsair Vengeance 1600 DDR3 | Asus GTX 750 Ti OC | 2 x Acer G235H | Samsung 850 256 GB | Windows 7 Pro 64bit | Saitek Cyborg Evo

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear it's getting that voice software from windows phone too.

I'll probably upgrade within the year once the hype passes and there are some solid reviews. I would like to upgrade to windows 10.

My day job seems to be mostly converting windows 8 to look like 7.

I really like win 7, but downloading applications from websites feels so 2009 and a huge risk of viruses or re-packaged legit software stuffed with ad aware.

I like to hope that when I install stuff from the Linux repos that it's safer than going to a website.

It's like if you try windows 95 you have to go and get all the drivers for everything. Now most basic things like audio and network work out of the box.

If MS were to go sub based with their OS in the future then I'd never buy their software ever again. I only use Windows for DCS. My applications are practically cloned from Linux to windows. It's turned me off office. I rather use the more rubbish looking free ones.

Still stoked though.

I hear it's getting that voice software from windows phone too.

I'll probably upgrade within the year once the hype passes and there are some solid reviews. I would like to upgrade to windows 10.

My day job seems to be mostly converting windows 8 to look like 7.

I really like win 7, but downloading applications from websites feels so 2009 and a huge risk of viruses or re-packaged legit software stuffed with ad aware.

I like to hope that when I install stuff from the Linux repos that it's safer than going to a website.

It's like if you try windows 95 you have to go and get all the drivers for everything. Now most basic things like audio and network work out of the box.

If MS were to go sub based with their OS in the future then I'd never buy their software ever again. I only use Windows for DCS. My applications are practically cloned from Linux to windows. It's turned me off office. I rather use the more rubbish looking free ones.

Still stoked though.

I also use Windows only for gaming.

There is a windows software repository

https://chocolatey.org/

I was very tempted to do this but i don't have a backup pc so I did'nt dare try it on my only pc. I was curious how did DCS run? Did it provide a boost/stability to DCSW. There warning about possible errors etc harming pc compenents etc sent the red flag up for me.

• 1 month later...

Not surprising but Windows 10 will be free even for previous hacked versions. Windows 10 launches this summer :D

Hardware requirements:

http://www.neowin.net/news/here-are-the-hardware-requirements-for-windows-10-for-desktop-and-phones

Presentation:

http://goo.gl/isJrOV

Android converter : :thumbup:

http://goo.gl/BTMkO0

Death of IE:

http://www.fudzilla.com/news/37287-microsoft-confirms-the-death-of-internet-explorer

Edited by HiJack

If they want to stay on market, and I want them to stay on market, they need to migrate to the shity freeware OS concept brung on the table by Google and Co. (don't pay OS but pay any click on it :evil:).

Windows will soon be as free as Android but they cannot go directly due to their inheritance.

Also good to mention they will also decommission IE as well starting with WinX and they will replace it with a new browser. This is simple stupid just to get rid of the name IE which creates in the past problems. Versions 6 and 7 were problematics for real, however latest versions of IE works for me just great. And this is due to the famous way of saying "people are awesome" :D

"Internet Explorer" is a brand by itself and does not need any other adjective to say what it is. Good things, bad things, no matter what, IE itself evolved as well as its supportive operating system. And again american marketing mathematics wins... excuse me.. this time is a powerfull indian influence on it :)))))

Edited by Abburo

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 10041 now available

Should be available on your downloads :thumbup:

EDIT: It's not available as ISO file yet so if your not familiar whit creating ISO files just wait a few hours.

Edited by HiJack

Hell has frozen.

Nothing has frozen.

"A Microsoft spokesperson sent Ars a full statement about the situation. The wording is interesting: "With Windows 10, although non-Genuine PCs may be able to upgrade to Windows 10, the upgrade will not change the genuine state of the license... If a device was considered non-genuine or mislicensed prior to the upgrade, that device will continue to be considered non-genuine or mislicensed after the upgrade." "

So, pirated Win 7/8 will turn into a pidated Win 10. But hey, it's worldwide :D

So they finally gave up: "You want to demo our OS ? Just buy few apps from our store!"

So I updated to the latest build, it created 450MiB recovery partition with "diag" flag. I haven't seen this thing being advertised, at least it shrinked system partition without touching OP space. And it completly broke my GRUB. Way to go Microsoft ;) Most funny thing is that I had to give Windows partition "boot" flag to even update.

They fixed notifications showing that I have pendrive mounted, which haven't been plugged for few weeks.

Boot from VHDX

I will make a clone of my boot drive in case I don't like it or it doesn't work so I can go back to Windows 7 if necessary.

If you want to try Windows 10 (indeed, it is not Windows X: This is not a X-Rated product like the Mac, after all :music_whistling:...just kidding fanbois!), I wanted to make sure that you were aware of the "Boot from VHD" that exist in recent Windows OS. Neowin has en explanation about it, but I find the simplest way is to boot from your Windows 10 install media, press Shift-F10 when you get to the disk selection screen (so that the proper keyboard is already selected) to open up a console and then use DiskPart to create the VHD:

Type DiskPart to get into the partitioning tool

Type Create VDisk File="C:\Windows 10.VHDX" Maximum=20484 Type=Expandable

Type Select VDisk File="C:\Windows 10.VHDX"

Type Attach VDisk

Then return to the setup program (Alt-Tab) and hit refresh.Your new 20GB drive appears, select it as the installation destination.

I have two such Windows 10 installs, although Microsoft is recommending to install directly on the hard drive (because we all have too much unused PCs lying around, I guess)

• Like 1

Houba! Hop!

• 4 weeks later...
Turns out that Windows 10 build 10041 have a lot of issues so it may be waste of time. Take care of your currently working 9926 build if you have one for now. Hopefully we will have another build in a short time ;)

being a TP, of course its going to have issues... but apparently 10041 (just trying it out here) everything so far, works and runs fine. Except though, it insists on not being able turn Defender or Windows Firewall off... current A/V gets scooped up and put to one side.

Right Click on the Start Button to find your way around easily :huh:

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

• 2 weeks later...

Windows 10 Will not come with Media Center.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I am downloading the 10074 version right now.

Im not sure if the one I have on my extra hard drive is the insider preview or the IT one

but I had no luck at all getting DCS World to work on it at all.

I downloaded the new Nvidia Beta Drivers for DX12 as well.

Took me forever to get them to work with three screens.

So others do get DCS to work...wonder what Im doing wrong ?