Windows X, Free upgrade for the first year.

For what its worth Win7HP is on Sale for 69.99 on NewEgg.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Windows Insider Members that have a clean install of the beta OS and Linked their Insider Account will get a free Windows 10 License Key....

Confirmed via press conference.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

Windows Insider Members that have a clean install of the beta OS and Linked their Insider Account will get a free Windows 10 License Key....

Confirmed via press conference.

Even if TP is slapped onto a new PC without any genuine W7 or W8?

You swich mainboards or specific hardware, and boot the system and windows will no longer be genuine, tryinv to activate will sometimes give an error,

99.99% of the time you call MS and tell them its the same system and you did a hardware upgrade and theybreset tye license, and activate

Interresting, I actually never have experienced this and I used to be a user who had reinstalled Windows every 6 Month (until I switched to win7). But even after many Hardware changings I never stumbled about a situation where I was forced to call MS in order to get my license reactivated...wait one time I had to...but this was for my mothers Office 2007 license :D.

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

I'm still not sure what the 'free update' message really means given the peculiar wording.

jrvujerp.png

The Website can be found here...scroll all the way down...as it´s Microsoft, i consider this Status confirmed :)

The "one year" rumor actually means that one needs to upgrade (install) WindowsX within one year after release. If one doesnt, so one would have to pay the full Price then

Edited by MemphisBelle

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

Even if TP is slapped onto a new PC without any genuine W7 or W8?

The Terms Stated in the Press Conference and Alert to Win10 testers via insider app.

-Windows 10 Must be installed and your MS Windows Insider ID Linked to that Install BEFORE July 29th, 2015

-At That point when you Upgrade to Windows 10 RTM you will be sent a Windows 10 License Key.

However you must remain a part of the Windows Insider Program, Which means MS will track your usages etc.

Decision has been reversed due to tech sites advertising how to get free windows without Win7/8 license..

friggen bafoons, ruined it for the legit testers.

Decision has been reversed due to tech sites advertising how to get free windows without Win7/8 license..

friggen bafoons, ruined it for the legit testers.

I can't see it, through the ambiguity, piss-poor journalism and the utter mess MS licensing and communication is. Seriously, I don't expect much from journalists, lawyers and snake-oil guys but this %@%# has raised it to a whole another level.

• 1 month later...

Anybody has upgraded from Windows 7/8/8.1?

My concern now is whether I can continue to use my 8.1 key on a new/upgraded rig in the future after I upgrade; and if I can, for windows 8.1 or windows 10...

I fear if I change to a new rig, the 8.1 key that I have now may only work for 8.1, especially if the one year free upgrade period has passed.

Anybody has upgraded from Windows 7/8/8.1?

My concern now is whether I can continue to use my 8.1 key on a new/upgraded rig in the future after I upgrade; and if I can, for windows 8.1 or windows 10...

I fear if I change to a new rig, the 8.1 key that I have now may only work for 8.1, especially if the one year free upgrade period has passed.

If it's a full retail version you can move it to a new rig but not if it's an OEM version.

PC:

6600K @ 4.5 GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 970, 32" 2K monitor.

If it's a full retail version you can move it to a new rig but not if it's an OEM version.

Mine is a full retail key. If it works, for 8.1 or 10? How do I install 10 on a new rig using a 8.1 key after the 1 year free upgrade period? Could you please point me to a source?

Sorry for so many questions, and thanks for your information!

Just did the upgrade.

You can download your version as an ISO from here, or upgrade directly:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Don´t need to wait.

So far it looks fine. DCS running fine (short test).

FPS increase: about 350%..:megalol:

Cheers

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, MSI MEG X570 UNIFY (AM4, AMD X570, ATX), Noctua NH-DH14, EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti XC3 ULTRA, Seasonic Focus PX (850W), Kingston HyperX 240GB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus (1000GB, M.2 2280), 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 DIMM CL16, Cooler Master 932 HAF, Samsung Odyssey G5; 34", Win 10 X64 Pro, Track IR, TM Warthog, TM MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudders

Upgrading to Win 10 will require DCS reactivation?

This is what changes are tracked and their cost.

• CPU ID: 13

• Windows PID: 3

• Computer Name: 3

• Hard drive volume serial number: 3

• MAC address: 6

• RAM amount: 6

Twelve points triggers a reactivation.

If you have changed nothing else, changing the OS should not be a problem.

Personally, I always (unless I forget) deactivate before changing anything major. I do that mostly because I usually don't recall what I might have changed since I last activated.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Upgrading to Win 10 will require DCS reactivation?

Nu frate, sa moara mama.

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, MSI MEG X570 UNIFY (AM4, AMD X570, ATX), Noctua NH-DH14, EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti XC3 ULTRA, Seasonic Focus PX (850W), Kingston HyperX 240GB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus (1000GB, M.2 2280), 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 DIMM CL16, Cooler Master 932 HAF, Samsung Odyssey G5; 34", Win 10 X64 Pro, Track IR, TM Warthog, TM MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudders

I managed to skip all the win8 stuff completely (had enough of it supporting my mom's win8 laptop). i guess i will need to move from trusty win7 with familiar GUI to this...

I upgraded (clean install with nothing retained) my old gaming laptop to give win10 to see how it is. so far a can see that all the "eightishness"/ squareness is still there. my gripe is the mess with removing the windows.old folder and all the old app folders. after taking ownership and still getting "access denied" while trying to delete in elevated CMD i found the reg hack and managed to accomplish eventually.

why did i need to do that ? wasn't it supposed to be a clean setup where Nothing old is kept? instead i got 90Gb of stuff retained on small older system SSD. removing all the leftovers (that i could think off) i'm down to ~28Gb of clean fresh windows.

and there is already patches coming in...

Anton.

My pit build thread .

Simple and cheap UFC project

So far it looks fine. DCS running fine (short test).

FPS increase: about 350%..:megalol:

Cheers

R U on DX12 already ? :D

Atop the midnight tarmac,

a metal beast awaits.

To be flown below the radar,

to bring the enemy his fate.

HAVE A BANDIT DAY !

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong." - R. Buckminster Fuller (1895 - 1983), American Architect, Author, Designer, Inventor, and Futurist

pretty sure when you choose clean setup, it prompts you or says it in the diaglog that windows.old etc will be created to contain old files.

my gripe is the mess with removing the windows.old folder and all the old app folders. after taking ownership and still getting "access denied" while trying to delete in elevated CMD i found the reg hack and managed to accomplish eventually.

There is a way to do this. The following is a quote from thurrott.com ->

"This is essentially a clean install of Windows 10. I say “essentially” because there is a Windows.old folder that is taking up many gigabtyes of space on disk—it will be removed in 30 days automatically or you can do so manually with the Disk Cleanup utility now—and some other small housekeeping tasks to perform. But you could also just Reset the OS, a process that should take 15-20 minutes at most, for a slightly cleaner clean install. If you will."

Shouldn't be that difficult although it would've been nice if MS offered a guide to create a clean install i.s.o update...

"It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage..."

Yes windows X is dx12,

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

pretty sure when you choose clean setup, it prompts you or says it in the diaglog that windows.old etc will be created to contain old files.

it probably did. my small gripe has nothing to do with being prompted or not being prompted however but with the fact folders were left there, not only windows.old but other folders as well. not quite what i call clean install.

Chaos, obviously it can be done. folders and files should and are deletable. but it sure can be made easier. i did not have the mentioned option in disk cleanup utility, couldn't delete from elevated CMD eiher (as i said ownership was claimed). and i'm sure not going to wait till some bright day it decides to take care of itself as the room on that small SSD is a premium. done, but with more hoops that i would like

ADD:

huh, a notification window with "how satisfied are you with experience of upgrading" just showed up. going to rate it 4 and put out my comments in

Anton.

My pit build thread .

Simple and cheap UFC project

Same issue can not delete folder or files.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||