Windows X, Free upgrade for the first year.

Reset your OS after upgrading and before installing your own stuff... supposedly that will take care of all the unwanted folders.

Edited by chaos

"It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage..."

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crap, I can't launch my track IR now.

When I launch the TIR program, the software don't find the hardware. I tried to reinstall the drivers (5.2.2) but it doesn't resolve the issue.

Does anyone experiencing the same problem?

DCS Wish: Turbulences affecting surrounding aircraft...

[sIGPIC] [/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P - Intel Core i5 6600K - 16Gb RAM DDR4-2133 - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming - 8 Go - 2 x SSD Crucial MX300 - 750 Go RAID0 - Screens: HP OMEN 32'' 2560x1440 + Oculus Rift CV1 - Win 10 - 64bits - TM WARTHOG #889 - Saitek Pro Rudder.

From what I gather, to get the licence clearance you should always install Windows 10 as an upgrade. Then, after activation, if you want a fully clean install, you can burn a CD, or use a flash drive to create a Windows 10 installer. Once you have that, you can go ahead and do a completely clean install.

Don't attempt to use the second method without first getting an activation in Windows 10 by running the update.

I have to wait to get the go ahead from Microsoft I think because there is a protected partition in Windows 7 that the downloadable update won't manage to delete. No biggie though, because I have never been a big fan of a day 1 install of any new operating system. Let the guinea pigs find all the bugs and limitations first!

From what I gather, to get the licence clearance you should always install Windows 10 as an upgrade. Then, after activation, if you want a fully clean install, you can burn a CD, or use a flash drive to create a Windows 10 installer. Once you have that, you can go ahead and do a completely clean install.

Don't attempt to use the second method without first getting an activation in Windows 10 by running the update.

I have to wait to get the go ahead from Microsoft I think because there is a protected partition in Windows 7 that the downloadable update won't manage to delete. No biggie though, because I have never been a big fan of a day 1 install of any new operating system. Let the guinea pigs find all the bugs and limitations first!

Correct

I'm flying since 1988 (Flight Simulator 3.0) :pilotfly:

It hasn't been confirmed whether upgrading from a full retail Windows 7 is not going to turn it into an OEM Windows 10.

It has: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/askjack/2015/jun/25/microsoft-windows-10-free-upgrade-7-questions-answered

"So, keep your current system, and do an “in place” upgrade to Windows 10. Use a Microsoft identity – such as an Outlook.com or Hotmail email address – to create your Administrator account to access the online Windows Store. The store-based license key will supersede the registration key that is locked to your PC’s motherboard. After that, you can change the motherboard, check that activation still works, then do a clean installation to a new drive."

Also to everyone not being able to delete the windows.old

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2066-windows-old-folder-delete-windows-10-a.html

EDIT: to everyone upgrading, having doubts about Win 10 and so on, I suggest you google the hell out of any thoughts you might have, because this is the most convoluted scheme M$ has come up with (make sure to read the TOS). Also, go to reddit, check out the r/windows, r/pcmasterrace and surprisingly r/piracy - lots of useful knowledge there with tutorials on how to upgrade, uninstall crap you don't need and avoid tracking (as well as giving the boot M$'s idea of turning your PC into an update server).

Edited by mmaruda

Crap, I can't launch my track IR now.

When I launch the TIR program, the software don't find the hardware. I tried to reinstall the drivers (5.2.2) but it doesn't resolve the issue.

Does anyone experiencing the same problem?

Track iR working fine here, also without doing the clean install. Aren´t you able to manually point out the driver?

• Like 1
Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, MSI MEG X570 UNIFY (AM4, AMD X570, ATX), Noctua NH-DH14, EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti XC3 ULTRA, Seasonic Focus PX (850W), Kingston HyperX 240GB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus (1000GB, M.2 2280), 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 DIMM CL16, Cooler Master 932 HAF, Samsung Odyssey G5; 34", Win 10 X64 Pro, Track IR, TM Warthog, TM MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudders

It has: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/askjack/2015/jun/25/microsoft-windows-10-free-upgrade-7-questions-answered

"So, keep your current system, and do an “in place” upgrade to Windows 10. Use a Microsoft identity – such as an Outlook.com or Hotmail email address – to create your Administrator account to access the online Windows Store. The store-based license key will supersede the registration key that is locked to your PC’s motherboard. After that, you can change the motherboard, check that activation still works, then do a clean installation to a new drive."

Also to everyone not being able to delete the windows.old

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2066-windows-old-folder-delete-windows-10-a.html

EDIT: to everyone upgrading, having doubts about Win 10 and so on, I suggest you google the hell out of any thoughts you might have, because this is the most convoluted scheme M$ has come up with (make sure to read the TOS). Also, go to reddit, check out the r/windows, r/pcmasterrace and surprisingly r/piracy - lots of useful knowledge there with tutorials on how to upgrade, uninstall crap you don't need and avoid tracking (as well as giving the boot M$'s idea of turning your PC into an update server).

There is nothing in that text that addresses the issue of OEM vs retail I.e. a non-transferable vs transferable license*.

*transferable to an entirely new computer, and then to the next one.

What happens if I change my motherboard?

As it pertains to the OEM license this will invalidate the Windows 10 upgrade license because it will no longer have a previous base qualifying license which is required for the free upgrade. You will then have to purchase a full retail Windows 10 license. If the base qualifying license (Windows 7 or Windows 8.1) was a full retail version, then yes, you can transfer it.

From the Windows 10 end user license agreement:

b. Stand-alone software. If you acquired the software as stand-alone software (and also if you upgraded from software you acquired as stand-alone software), you may transfer the software to another device that belongs to you. You may also transfer the software to a device owned by someone else if (i) you are the first licensed user of the software and (ii) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came on to transfer the software. Every time you transfer the software to a new device, you must remove the software from the prior device. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between devices

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/frequently-asked-questions-windows-10/5c0b9368-a9e8-4238-b1e4-45f4b7ed2fb9

Now I need THE source I.e. a confirmation in the W10 terms and conditions.

Edit:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/UseTerms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm

Point 4.b.

Edited by Bucic

Track iR working fine here, also without doing the clean install. Aren´t you able to manually point out the driver?

Each time I plug the TIR USB plug, windows 10 tries to locate the driver but it ends as 'unknown device' and the software of TrackIR does not recognize it (no device detected). So that's why I ask if I'm alone in this case.

[sIGPIC] [/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P - Intel Core i5 6600K - 16Gb RAM DDR4-2133 - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming - 8 Go - 2 x SSD Crucial MX300 - 750 Go RAID0 - Screens: HP OMEN 32'' 2560x1440 + Oculus Rift CV1 - Win 10 - 64bits - TM WARTHOG #889 - Saitek Pro Rudder.

OEM etc,

If you use your microsoft account, that superceeds any registry strings for hardware.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

DX12 is an application interface, to make use of dx12 it is in the game itself that the functions are enabled. ie if DCS is encoded for DX9 or DX whatever that's what it will use. DX12 effects will appear when you buy a dx12 game.

or DCS gets an update for DX12 ?. if you have DX12 its backwards compatible so DX9 games will run but will look the same as they normally do.

asus p6t ws pro mobo.i7 975 extreme cpu..nvid rog strix 1070 gpu.1000+w enermax psu.12 gb domi ram.twin velociraptors.w7 64..ch stick,throttle,pedals,trakir..x52 pro stick,throttle..

thrustmaster warthog

"However, if you want to go back to your old OS, it appears that you're on a timer: Microsoft confirmed to Tom's Hardware that users will have only one month to decide if they want to continue with Windows 10 or not."

"Microsoft has stated that even with customer support, some hardware changes will invalidate your free copy of Windows 10 and require you to purchase one. (This limitation does not exist in retail copies of Windows 10; those can be re-used by the user regardless of any hardware changes."

Source:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-10-revert-os,29727.html

Yay! I finally achived to make it run.

I had to go to the 'device manager' and link/update the 'unknown device' driver to C:\Program Files (x86)\NaturalPoint\USB Drivers x64\npusbio_x64\npusbio_x64.inf

(For the one who experience the same trouble with TIR/Win10...)

Thanks Asparagin to light me the way.

[sIGPIC] [/sIGPIC]

Upgrading to Win 10 will require DCS reactivation?

I hope it did not come too late. This is what the official position of ED on this matter is. Coming from Matt http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=145683:

Dear all,

For those of you moving to Windows 10, please note that changing your operating system is a significant system change and will require the use of an activation.

Before making such a change, please first de-activate your module(s). Deactivation instructions can be found in the Quick Start manual of the module. After then installing Windows 10, re-activate your module(s).

If however you have changed your operating system before de-activating, you will need to run the Reg file on this page for the module(s) you own and then reactivate: http://en.wiki.eagle.ru/wiki/Problem_with_Activation

Thanks

Every system is different, so, in some systems a new activation will not be necessary, but in others might. Before anyone proceeds to upgrading to Windows 10 it's best to have all the facts from official sources.

Not too late for me, thank you. I had my doubts about activation so I did not rush myself to this update on my gaming rig.

Other people needs to be adviced too , as they were pretty sure about answers without real testing.

Edited by Abburo

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

Only things I ran into is the Mig-21 ate another activation, seems to be common though as I think I'm down to 7 left on it. But no other modules needed re-activation so guess I was lucky there. It's also complaining that I'm missing the Hawk but the module manager says it's installed and has a serial #, didn't have that issue before the upgrade.

Win 10 64 Pro, MSI Z390 I7-9700K @5ghz Kraken Z63, 32Gb Corsair Dominator, MSI RTX-2070, 1TB NVME 2TB SSD's, TM Warthog, Pro Rudders, OpenTrack w/ IR Clip

I hope it did not come too late. This is what the official position of ED on this matter is. Coming from Matt http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=145683:

Every system is different, so, in some systems a new activation will not be necessary, but in others might. Before anyone proceeds to upgrading to Windows 10 it's best to have all the facts from official sources.

Yeah, last upgrade values I did know of, where those listed by Childfan.

Would have been more helpful if hints about activation would actually be posted in time. The whole security system is even like this complicated.

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, MSI MEG X570 UNIFY (AM4, AMD X570, ATX), Noctua NH-DH14, EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti XC3 ULTRA, Seasonic Focus PX (850W), Kingston HyperX 240GB, Samsung 970 EVO Plus (1000GB, M.2 2280), 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 DIMM CL16, Cooler Master 932 HAF, Samsung Odyssey G5; 34", Win 10 X64 Pro, Track IR, TM Warthog, TM MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudders

Yeah, last upgrade values I did know of, where those listed by Childfan.

Would have been more helpful if hints about activation would actually be posted in time. The whole security system is even like this complicated.

Yes, and what I posted is what has been published by Eagle Dynamics, in the product Quick Start guides. This announcement by Matt contradicts the published Starforce information.

EDIT: @Abburo. I did not express any assurance. I merely quoted the manual, published by the software vendor, and even emphasized the word should, in my reply. I have not tested it since I my intent was to retire my sim box and build a new Win 10 sim machine this month.

EDIT2: In general, I do not believe it is a good idea to apply a major OS upgrade to any machine. A complete software rebuild is the only course of action I am willing to apply to my own machines.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

How do you apply a fresh install in this case given it comes as an upgrade? Do you let it upgrade first and then wipe your HDD. I've never change OS before without starting with a new Pc. As mine has a few niggles in the system I am looking at wiping everything and starting fresh.

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

Yes, and what I posted is what has been published by Eagle Dynamics, in the product Quick Start guides. This announcement by Matt contradicts the published Starforce information.

EDIT: @Abburo. I did not express any assurance. I merely quoted the manual, published by the software vendor, and even emphasized the word should, in my reply. I have not tested it since I my intent was to retire my sim box and build a new Win 10 sim machine this month.

EDIT2: In general, I do not believe it is a good idea to apply a major OS upgrade to any machine. A complete software rebuild is the only course of action I am willing to apply to my own machines.

I upgraded to Windows 10 this weekend, no problems so far, DCS world, DCS Openbeta, Teamspeak, FaceTrackNoIr, Voice Command Activation, everything is working as before, only asked me for the Mig-21bis activation key, not the others. Tested DCS with TriDef in 3D LG TV, fine.

My specs:

DELL XPS 8500 w/ i7 3rd gen

AMD Sapphire R9 270x w/ 4GB DDR5 (latest Catalyst 5.70.1)

8 GB RAM

1 TB HDD

LG 42" 3D TV

Benq 1600x900 LED monitor

Other games tested:

XCOM (had to revalidate the cache files in steam), is working now

Elite Dangerous,

ARMA 3

Alien Colonial Marines

Alien : Isolation

Men Of War

Wargame

and many others .... :)

Edited by JunMcKill

How do you apply a fresh install in this case given it comes as an upgrade? Do you let it upgrade first and then wipe your HDD. I've never change OS before without starting with a new Pc. As mine has a few niggles in the system I am looking at wiping everything and starting fresh.

In my case, I purchased a new copy of Win 10. MS has far too many hoops for me to jump through to do a clean install with the upgrade version.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I just stuck with my Windows Insider copy on eSATA drive and kept my Win7 install.

I mainly use 10 for the Xbox stuff, as I dont feel like jumping through hoops with Autodesk on 5 3D Studio Licenses etc.

as for emails and all that, I use my phone.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Yes you have to upgrade first and make sure your Windows is activated, after that you can format everything and install fresh Win10. I updated my Win 8.1 to Win 10, downloaded and booted from Media Creation Tool, deleted all partitions including system preserved and did fresh install :thumbup:

Asus Prime X570-P * Ryzen 5800X3D + Scythe Fuma cooler * RTX 4080 Super * Corsair 64GB DDR4 3600MHz * Samsung 980 pro 1Tb + 2Tb nvme * Samsung 850 EVO 512Gb SSD * Corsair RM850x V2/2018 * HP Reverb G2 * CH Fighterstick/Pedals/Throttle * Win11