Windows X, Free upgrade for the first year.

I'd want to do a clean install, but my upgrade is still in the waiting phase... On the subject of clean installs, though, how do you retrive the product key that's 'traded in' when you upgrade?

Corsair 550D / Be Quiet 650W Pro 10 / ASUS P8Z77-V Pro / Intel i5 3570K / 16GB Kingston HyperX 1600 MHz / EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX2 4GB / 128GB Samsung 830 / RME HDSPe Multiface 2 / 1TB Samsung F3 / Prolimatech Megalames Rev. B / Windows 10 / BenQ XL2420T / Saitek X52 Pro / Kone Pure+ / Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My upgrade went well only issue I have is with the X52 button press and Team Speak.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

I made the upgrade to Win 10, everythig works also DCS.

I made a reinstall of DCS on a different HD and now it dont download the updates of DCS-World and cant connect to the server to download the modules.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]BASIS WarThunder and DCS

http://black-alpha-sheep-in-service.clans.de/ DISCORD: https://discord.gg/7AmpDD8

:smartass:Win-10Pro, Mainboard AB350-Gaming3, AMD Ryzen 1600x 4,1 GHZ, COOLER MASTER Master Liquid, 32GB 3200 DDR4, Gigabyte RX Vega 64, Samsung SSD 840, edtracker, edtracker-pro, Lenovo Explorer VR, modules: all

I'd want to do a clean install, but my upgrade is still in the waiting phase... On the subject of clean installs, though, how do you retrive the product key that's 'traded in' when you upgrade?

I have tried a key finding batch file on 3 different upgraded machines and they all report the same product key. Microsoft is saying you won't need a key to do a clean install, windows just knows your machine has had a win 10 install on it before. I am on phone sorry no link at the moment. So don't change hardware at same time as clean install and you should be right to go.

PC:

6600K @ 4.5 GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 970, 32" 2K monitor.

I made the upgrade to Win 10, everythig works also DCS.

I made a reinstall of DCS on a different HD and now it dont download the updates of DCS-World and cant connect to the server to download the modules.

I dont know whether it has somethings to do with Win 10, but I am always downloading the Software and the Modules via Torrent (using utorrent). It is working on Win10 very well too.

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

Windows 8.1 upgrade to Windows 10 = all DCS DRM/keys survived without de/re-activation.

Win 10 is just like an ordinary kernel patch. Something GNU/Linux does every day... twice.

Framerate is great. New Kernel Scheduler is smarter about balancing threads, it seems. Few framerate improvements. Those, not talked about, 'hidden' feature/updates are always worth switching OSes. You won't read about them on any tech website. Even Microsoft engineers are rarely talking about them.

Nvidia/Windows drivers are ok. Some Monitor related features are lost (no more downsampling for me. 2nd graphic card (mixed gpu) was disabled by Windows OS - so much for mixed gpu setups). Worked in Win Vista/7/8.1. Maybe a new driver issue.

As for DX12 - DX12 'features' are mostly API related and are nothing you/gamers will actually 'see'. It's not like DX8 to DX9 prettier. It's great for developers, if they know how and can dig closer to the metal. Everyone should switch to OpenGL/Vulcan anyway, imo.

ExtremeTech had a great article for mainstream users, translating marketing speak to common tongue. Googlebing if you are interested.

My update has failed, error code C1900204... Nothing is ever easy for me. I suspect CCleaner messed up my registry some time back as I've been having a few niggling problems for months now such as programs not showing in the Control panel >> uninstall a program. A potential fix for this is changing the default install path to the drive windows is on, but having entered the registry, I don't have ProgramFilesDir to change this... Given it is midnight I'll sleep on this and try again tomorrow rather than sit here pulling my hair out.

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

My update has failed, error code C1900204... Nothing is ever easy for me. I suspect CCleaner messed up my registry some time back as I've been having a few niggling problems for months now such as programs not showing in the Control panel >> uninstall a program. A potential fix for this is changing the default install path to the drive windows is on, but having entered the registry, I don't have ProgramFilesDir to change this... Given it is midnight I'll sleep on this and try again tomorrow rather than sit here pulling my hair out.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3081048

go there and click on the corresponding hyper link to your situation, i.e. OS and type. :thumbup:

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

• 2 weeks later...
Each time I plug the TIR USB plug, windows 10 tries to locate the driver but it ends as 'unknown device' and the software of TrackIR does not recognize it (no device detected). So that's why I ask if I'm alone in this case.

Same problem here...did In- place upgrade...over Win7 Pro.

Ran prepared 3-D just fine but sure did miss my TrackIr...Reinstalled the 5.22 software, still "no device detected"

Have you solved your TrackIr problem yet?

Chas

Edited by hesynergy

• 2 weeks later...

a litte update from my side did a clean install of windows10 on a new HDD and everything works great here trackir5 warthog games and other stuff as well..

pitty that nvidia turns out that the 900 series gpus dont fully support DX12 at least some features like Async Compute/Shaders

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

So my SSD failed on me, it seems that was the reason I couldn't upgrade.

I have now installed a new Samsung 1tb 850 evo SSD and re-installed windows 7. But my Windows 10 upgrade has disappeared from the bottom right corner, any ideas? I am under the impression it has to be installed from there, or can I simply download and install it myself without the invite?

Try doing it this way mate, should work same but this way you will have a physical disk to hand.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install

And lo, Reverend Vegas did say "Take forth unto the infidel the mighty GAU 8 and expend its holy 30MM so that freedom will be brung upon them who knoweth not the joys of BBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTT"

"Amen"

I am having a very weird issue on my convertible (vaio duo 13) with Win X. Windows key shortcuts (win+x, win+q, win+space etc.) triggers the start menu as well as the shortcuts. Sometimes only the start menu is triggered.

This probably is a campatibility issue between vaio notebooks and Win X. It is not a big deal, but is annoying. So far I haven't found a solution...

Try doing it this way mate, should work same but this way you will have a physical disk to hand.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install

Thanks, the invitation returned a few days after posting so I have just upgraded to Windows 10. I'm in two minds, it seems quite smart and what not. But the first thing I saw is a candy crush app which killed the experience a bit, why is that rubbish here? I'm not a fan of the apps etc at all but at least they aren't as intrusive as on windows 8.

I also can't seem to change the default program for opening jpegs, I'm trying to set Irfanview which is far superior to the windows photo viewer. If I change the option within Irfanview, it doesn't save. And if I go to the windows default page, irfanview is not an option, just windows photo viewer, paint and the app store.

Am I missing something? Simple things like putting photos and music folders where they were in Windows 7 also seems like a chore, but I'm sure I'll figure it out... Mixed bag so far. I probably would have stayed with Windows 7 if I'd tried 10 out before installing.

I couldnt say mate, I've got 2 machines at home, one is still running 7 and the one Im on now is running 8.1 but with start8 to make it look and act like Windows 7.

I will at some point upgrade both to 10, but it will be when Im forced to, probably just before they free upgrade becomes payable.

And lo, Reverend Vegas did say "Take forth unto the infidel the mighty GAU 8 and expend its holy 30MM so that freedom will be brung upon them who knoweth not the joys of BBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTT"

"Amen"