JTAC and Laser

Menessis

The last time I tried it, it worked.

I marked a target as JTAC (CA) with the laser, and my buddy dropped a GBU-12 from his A-10C. I think, it was in 1.2.7 or 1.2.8, IIRC.

Kind regards,

Fire

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Why would this functionality be needed as described for the AI? One can simulate this by simply placing a vehicle and put any aircraft (not only A-10) with a waypoint task to precision bomb.

I think he means getting an AI JTAC to lase for a player in the A-10C.

It seems there is a difference now between IR pointer and lasing. I remember in the past a JTAC would have their pointer on when they lazed but this seems to have changed. I need to investigate it further.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

Ya we are flying a mission where the enemy convoy is driving through a city. Very difficult to pick them out. I was hoping that a JTAC could target at least one for us then we could go from there.

I did have an AI Huey fly the JTAC team in. But we could put a human pilot in, RTB and then jump into the JTAC vehicle? Would that work?

Menessis.

Edited by Menessis

Do you really have to lase it with precision? If so then you would need a human player in the JTAC vehicle. Why I am asking is because if you hit (not necessary destroy one vehicle in the column they will usually disperse and you can pick them one by one)

[sIGPIC]OK[/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

AI JTAC works for both LASER and IR Pointer (see attached missions and trk files).

I've learned some interesting things when getting the AI JTACs to work for our A-10C Tactical Training Qualification Campaign.

For both LASER and IR the JTAC needs Line of Sight (LOS). When you setup the JTAC if you see an orange colored warning saying no LOS then that means it can't see the target. To get around this I always start with the JTAC very close to the target as per the sample missions, then experiment how far away I can move the JTAC before the process fails.

There are also issues with getting JTACs to reply properly via the radio calls but I've found using 30.0 FM to work consistently.

Feel free to play with these sample missions to learn what you can do with the JTACs.

It's not an ideal model but it can work given the correct conditions.

JTAC Sample.miz

JTAC Sample.trk

JTAC Sample2.miz

JTAC Sample2.trk

F-15C-User-Bar-ACM.v2.jpg

MapleFlagMissions - Read Our Blog for Updates

Where you add

PERFORM TASK -> FAC - ASSIGN GROUP in the designation box where you assign laser it should not be orange. For instance if the range to the target is > 5nm then it will say

DESIGNATION Laser (problem: D > 5nm)

or if it does not have Line Of Sight it will say

DESIGNATION Laser (problem: No LOS)

There is a limitation with this and that it that LOS is only calculated for terrain and not for any buildings that may be in the way. There is definitely an art to placing JTACS in a good position on the map. I usually assign them to an armed Humvee with HOLD FIRE and INVISIBLE to simulate infantry special forces JTACS.

i7-7700K : 16Gb DDR4 2800 Mhz : Asus Mobo : 2TB HDD : Intel 520 SSD 240gb : RTX 2080ti: Win10 64pro : Dx10 : TrackiR4 : TM Warthog : ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q

What Druid said :)

To see this in action open the JTAC Sample3.miz (attached). Select the JTAC Unit and Advanced Waypoint Actions.

You can move the JTAC around until the orange warning clears then it should be operational.

At least that's been my experience.

It's not perfect and it does take some playing around but you can make it work.

JTAC Sample3.miz

Where you add

PERFORM TASK -> FAC - ASSIGN GROUP in the designation box where you assign laser it should not be orange. For instance if the range to the target is > 5nm then it will say

DESIGNATION Laser (problem: D > 5nm)

or if it does not have Line Of Sight it will say

DESIGNATION Laser (problem: No LOS)

There is a limitation with this and that it that LOS is only calculated for terrain and not for any buildings that may be in the way. There is definitely an art to placing JTACS in a good position on the map. I usually assign them to an armed Humvee with HOLD FIRE and INVISIBLE to simulate infantry special forces JTACS.

Yes, I see that now when I move the vehicle out of range and it's good to know that bulidings may obstruct view without any warning. Thanks for the info Druid. I sure would like to get this working.

Predators in DCS don't have the ability to lase or sparkle as far as I know. Probably because only the later versions of the Predator have the ability to lase iirc.

i7-7700K : 16Gb DDR4 2800 Mhz : Asus Mobo : 2TB HDD : Intel 520 SSD 240gb : RTX 2080ti: Win10 64pro : Dx10 : TrackiR4 : TM Warthog : ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q

Predators in DCS don't have the ability to lase or sparkle as far as I know. Probably because only the later versions of the Predator have the ability to lase iirc.

Ah ok, thanks Druid. I guess I can now use my free time to fix the head-shaped hole in my wall. They should take those options away from it in ME. My sanity would definitely appreciate it :)

Let me be very specific with the following, If 2 A10s are flying together one can lase a target that they have locked on their TGP and the other can activate Laser search mode and acquire a lock on the same target. Sabre have you been successful in accomplishing the same thing with an AI JTAC vehicle? Can you lock on to a lased target in your TGP using the laser search only?

Edited by Blooze

Let me be very specific with the following, If 2 A10s are flying together one can lase a target that they have locked on their TGP and the other can activate Laser search mode and acquire a lock on the same target. Sabre have you been successful in accomplishing the same thing with an AI JTAC vehicle? Can you lock on to a lased target in your TGP using the laser search only?

Yes it works! Check the JTAC Sample.trk file. The JTAC lases the target and I use the TGP to search and detect the laser spot.

I also use the GBU-12 to guide on the JTAC's laser and hit the target though don't critique my attack run as I didn't even release within proper parameters. :doh:

Is your TGP looking in the area of the target?

The TGP has to be looking in the area to detect the laser.

Hit the LSS button as Grimes indicated and it should detect the laser designation.

Try Pages 329-330 in the DCS A-10C Manual.

Edited by Sabre-TLA

Is your TGP looking in the area of the target?

The TGP has to be looking in the area to detect the laser.

Hit the LSS button as Grimes indicated and it should detect the laser designation.

Try Pages 329-330 in the DCS A-10C Manual.

headed straight for the target every time with LSS button pressed and scanning. I'll get it sorted out eventually.:book: