JTAC and Laser

Menessis

A little off topic, but can someone provide a link or explanation on how to get a JTAC or AFAC to work properly when targets are activated late via triggers? I'm not finding anything via search etc.

I simply want an AFAC overhead that I can check in with, and will assign targets as they are spawned into the mission environment over a period of time. For whatever reason I can't get it to work. LOS isn't an issue, but the enroute fac doesn't work. I've used task assign group in conjunction with triggers...doesn't work. It seems I've tried everything with no success.

Oh, and I'm familiar with the priority of tasks over enroute tasks and all that's explained in the manual. Something's not clicking for me though...

I was thinking that if an A-10C was heading towards the JTAC that was firing their laser, would the A-10C pick up the laser designator itself? This could be quite dangerous for the JTAC, if you know what I mean.

WC

Visit the Hollo Pointe DCS World server -- an open server with a variety of COOP & H2H missions including Combined Arms. All released missions are available for free download, modification and public hosting, from my Wrecking Crew Projects site.

I was thinking that if an A-10C was heading towards the JTAC that was firing their laser, would the A-10C pick up the laser designator itself? This could be quite dangerous for the JTAC, if you know what I mean.

WC

This is a problem when using an IR pointer - you only see a line, but have no indication which end is the start and which the end. For that case you tell the JTAC to "snake" (wiggle the laser beam) so you can see which is the origin of the beam and where is the "pointing" end.

But laser designation works differently. The LSS picks up the pulsing laser spot that is reflected from a surface. That is the only way the sensor can actually see the laser light - unless you look directly into a beam that is directed at you.

In reality there are some other difficulties, like the laser beam illuminating surfaces behind the target and thus creating more than one laser spot that the LSS could pick up. Or reflections that also can cause additional spots. But these are not modelled in DCS.

I've made a script that lets a JTAC automatically lase targets for you as well as switch targets when they go down or if the target moves out of line of sight.

Unfortunately LOS only takes into account terrain so the JTAC can see through trees and buildings...

It's a WIP but it seemed to work in a multiplayer mission we tried last night.

https://github.com/ciribob/DCS-JTACAutoLaze

The radiobeep.ogg sound file can either be manually loaded into the mission, by renaming .miz to .zip and dragging it in or by loading it in using a trigger.

Next step is smoke markings so it can be used in daytime as well.

Scripts: Complete Transport And Logistics Deployment - CTLD / CTLD Examples - Lots of example of how to use CTLD

CSAR Script - Downed Pilot Rescue / Dedicated Server Script - Automatically launch DCS Multiplayer server at startup

Range Scoring Script - Get scores and counts hits on targets for gunnery or bombs / SimpleSlotBlock - Multiplayer dynamic Slot Blocking Script

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required! :)

DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord

I've made a script that lets a JTAC automatically lase targets for you as well as switch targets when they go down or if the target moves out of line of sight.

Unfortunately LOS only takes into account terrain so the JTAC can see through trees and buildings...

It's a WIP but it seemed to work in a multiplayer mission we tried last night.

https://github.com/ciribob/DCS-JTACAutoLaze

The radiobeep.ogg sound file can either be manually loaded into the mission, by renaming .miz to .zip and dragging it in or by loading it in using a trigger.

Next step is smoke markings so it can be used in daytime as well.

Thanks, looking forward to trying this out

• 1 year later...
AI JTAC works for both LASER and IR Pointer (see attached missions and trk files).

I've learned some interesting things when getting the AI JTACs to work for our A-10C Tactical Training Qualification Campaign.

For both LASER and IR the JTAC needs Line of Sight (LOS). When you setup the JTAC if you see an orange colored warning saying no LOS then that means it can't see the target. To get around this I always start with the JTAC very close to the target as per the sample missions, then experiment how far away I can move the JTAC before the process fails.

There are also issues with getting JTACs to reply properly via the radio calls but I've found using 30.0 FM to work consistently.

Feel free to play with these sample missions to learn what you can do with the JTACs.

It's not an ideal model but it can work given the correct conditions.

Can anybody help me? I'm trying to use AI JTAC with my F-5. I took "JTAC Sample3.miz", change A-10C to F-5E-5, arm GBU-12s, change radio freq. of JTAC unit. And it worked. I was so happy about it until i tried to create my own JTAC sample mission. I would bet I did everything like in this Sample3 (same unit, same wp triggers, make sure about distance and visibility etc.) but in my sample it does not work.

Now, there are differences in game as I communicate with JTAC. When I ask for target I got a table of data beginning with "JTAC: line is as follows 1, 2, 3 N/A [4. elevation....". In correct mission there is "[7. ]Marked by laser, 1688". In not working mission there is "[7. ]No mark". And from my command "9-line readback" communication differs. In good mission there is "JTAC readback correct, JTAC report IP INBOUD". Then you talking about inbound stuff, lasing etc. In not working mission there is "JTAC readback correct, JTAC CLEARED TO ENGAGE". From there you can communicate nothing more with JTAC but goodbye (and of course, dropped bomb does not guide itself).

What am I missing?

--- EDIT ---

Solved. Looks like even when games tells no problem with distance and LOS your unit can still be in position where it is unable to point the target. On secod try I located it just next to it's target and it worked. I guess some patience is needed with setting things correctly. What I do not understand though is what was problem with previous location. Unit was 2 nm from target and there was perfectly flat terrain with no trees nor buildings. Ideal visibility. But whatever, it works somehow and it's good enough for me.

bad-1.jpg.37b7d00856e11a131f2d84b2d80a0949.jpg

bad-2.jpg.5bdb76c5cba225895a762fb720045daa.jpg

good-1.jpg.8dc6eaa42da3d1aecac6f3b868449b78.jpg

good-2.jpg.d2d3869133a4e441c1e7dcab68bdf1d8.jpg

Edited by foxtheancient

The Ancient Fox

• 9 months later...

I'm bumping this thread because I've been working with JTAC is mission building. Sometimes LOS is a huge issue even when it says LOS is no issue. We put JTAC in the middle the enemy targets just to make sure they work properly.

Just discuss any and all JTAC tips, tricks here for mission building.

EDIT:

JTAC is still a cluster. It works perfectly one moment then completely fails the next. I know that comms can get bogged down but I was playing the default mission for a10c shooting gallery. Testing out the JTACs. After two different objectives they wouldn't respond on the radio anymore. Neither JTAC would give tasking and this mission is designed to have 5 total objectives. Doesn't make any sense.

Edited by Oscar Juliet

Can't you use the CTLD JTAC lase function? It seems to behave and work well..

I'm bumping this thread because I've been working with JTAC is mission building. Sometimes LOS is a huge issue even when it says LOS is no issue. We put JTAC in the middle the enemy targets just to make sure they work properly.

Just discuss any and all JTAC tips, tricks here for mission building.

EDIT:

JTAC is still a cluster. It works perfectly one moment then completely fails the next. I know that comms can get bogged down but I was playing the default mission for a10c shooting gallery. Testing out the JTACs. After two different objectives they wouldn't respond on the radio anymore. Neither JTAC would give tasking and this mission is designed to have 5 total objectives. Doesn't make any sense.

Maybe this can be an option?

Note that ciribob also helped me making this stuff!!!

It concerns the DESIGNATE capability of the MOOSE framework.

Find the documentation here.

http://flightcontrol-master.github.io/MOOSE/

http://flightcontrol-master.github.io/MOOSE/Documentation/Designate.html

YouTube videos explaining it:

[TABLE][sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]|

[/TABLE]

DESIGNATE may look similar to autolase/smoke, but it works a bit different and interaction is also richer. And it has illumination for night missions.

Designate is one little piece of a larger puzzle though :-)

[/TABLE]

• 4 months later...
I am trying to get AI jtac/afac to use an IR Pointer (still) LOL.

I have it working offline but when we tried it online nothing works. I am using triggered actions and wonder if this is the reason it doesn't work online?

Menessis

You mean DESIGNATE?

Cab we discuss here further: https://discord.gg/chV6Yf

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

[/TABLE]

I am trying to get AI jtac/afac to use an IR Pointer (still) LOL.

I have it working offline but when we tried it online nothing works. I am using triggered actions and wonder if this is the reason it doesn't work online?

Menessis

The latest DCS update (2 days go on Nov 10th) had a fix for laser marking. MAYBE it was just broken. I would try the latest update with what you were doing and maybe it will just work now!!

AI aircraft with AFAC task will marks target by laser again.

• 2 months later...

I too am struggling to get consistent results with JTAC lase. What I'm trying to do is force the JTAC (Humvee TOW) to automatically lase a building for a surgical strike. I created a single infantryman and put him on the roof, then use the 'FAC - Assign Task' command to LASE him. LOS looks good, and gives me no errors, but results seem to be inconsistent. I also would like to add the condition that they would start the LASE 8 min into the mission, but this doesn't seem to have any effect as they immediately start lasing at mission start, or not at all. To solve this I start the jtac unit 8 min into the mission, but like I said results vary from nothing, to having to use the F9 radio menu to start them lasing. Like I said, I want them to automatically lase a specific unit at a specific time. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Moe "Moespeeds" Colontonio

vVMA 231

http://www.vvma-231.com/

Looking for a serious US based Harrier Squadron? We are recruiting!