Who wants to go Navy?!

SFC Tako

Who wants to go Navy?!  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Who wants to go Navy?!

• Yeah!
    • No!

If you mean there's to be a full-on official flight model made for the North American FJ-2/-3 Fury - then yes, I can imagine the legal/technical part is immense.

But if we just get a hook, sort of like a mod...then we're under the radar ;)

Of course some people would frown at that, like "you're not flying a correct version of that aircraft" and such, but you know what? Let them frown. Yeah, frown away - it would be a mod and mods aren't mandatory. They could stick to their original Sabre and I could fly my Semipro-Fury :joystick:

Me, I don't care about being correct - I just wanna fly this baby off aircraft carriers :)

I have mine!

Screen_150126_152141.thumb.jpg.ce1ad17c4059240d9c84fc520ee92a1f.jpg

If only we can get a tailhook!:thumbup:

crazyeddie did the skin for me as it reflects the unit I was first with in my Marine Corps days.

Intel i5-4690K Devil's Canyon, GForce TitanX, ASUS Z-97A MB, 16GB GDDR3 GSkill mem, Samsung SSD X3,Track IR, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind pedals, Acer XB280HK monitor,GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT

I was Navy back in the early '70s. Training with the RAG outfit VF-101 then on to VF-74 (sister squadron to VF-84!) with F-4Js stationed at NAS Oceana as well as carrier quals on the Forrestal near NAS Jacksonville before a Med cruise (which I did not go on).

This is a snapshot of what was affectionately called "Sticks" (modex number 111), the tail code indicating this was a cat shot off the the Big A (U.S.S. America), probably at Yankee Station (WestPac)

F-4Js_VF-74_on_cat_USS_America_1972-73.JPEG

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

[ATTACH]112657[/ATTACH]

If only we can get a tailhook!:thumbup:

crazyeddie did the skin for me as it reflects the unit I was first with in my Marine Corps days.

That's awesome!

Been reading up on them Furys, seems like the marines were the only ones who put them to good use :)

(I think crazyeddie did my Navy skins as well)

Edited by SFC Tako

Here's an FJ-4

330232744_VMA-343(1).thumb.jpg.c3fe721cb7f386493e52922644e2c29a.jpg

This is the pic I gave eddie to work with. Somewhere in that group is a young 18 year old Marine who is now 72:cry:

Many differences between this bird and the F-86F Belsimtek gave us, but they are "close enough" for these old eyes.:music_whistling:

Intel i5-4690K Devil's Canyon, GForce TitanX, ASUS Z-97A MB, 16GB GDDR3 GSkill mem, Samsung SSD X3,Track IR, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind pedals, Acer XB280HK monitor,GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT

Yep, a "Winger"!

It's okay, someone had to do it and the Navy really prefers "boats":smilewink:

Semper Fi!

Haha, great flying, gotta try that as soon as I get some spare time. :D

Not all skill I'm afraid, the storm was my 5th or 6th attempt...I just got lucky there. But let's keep that between us ;)

And start training for naval ops when you have time. It's crazy fun once you get over the first horrible disasters :joystick:

To all you others, what a great response on this thread. And real stuff from guys who have actually been there! I take my hat off :)

@ =Mac=

Yankee station huh?! That was up close to N.Vietnam right?

And the photo - DANG! :thumbup:

Yankee Station focused mostly on the North, yes.

700 nmi from Subic Bay (Philippines) @285T

225 nmi from Hai Phong @150T

90 nmi from Da Nang @ 010T

75 nmi from Sanya @ 230T

That should get you visual with them without Tacan.

It should be noted that, in 1967, the U.S.S. Forrestal had its disastrous fire there when an F-4, on the fantail, switched to internal power and actually launched an un-safety-pinned rocket into an A-4. The rocket didn't detonate but the poor A-4 bled JP-5 all over the deck and burned. Bombs on other aircraft then cooked off killing over 100 guys.

When I was on board in the Caribbean, it had the derogatory names of U.S.S. Forest Fire or U.S.S. Zippo. During carrier quals, we had an A-7 that trapped but blew out its nose gear, dropped onto its "chin" and spectacularly fodded its own engine as well as the Forrestal's flight deck.

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

I get to realize the potential dangers on an aircraft carrier. All the ordnance, all the gas. Having watched documentaries about them I've previously thought things like "aren't they overdoing the safety drills" or "another fire drill...are they nuts or sumtin?".

Well, having youtubed this fire of -67, I know better now.

I'd pay for a whole new module if it was a FJ-3/4 Fury with workable carrier if this was built.

Aggressiveness was a fundamental to success in air-to-air combat and if you ever caught a fighter pilot in a defensive mood you had him licked before you started shooting.

— Captain David McCampbell, USN, leading U.S. Navy ace in WWII