Gave up waiting for a sale ... need WW2 module advice.

I discovered this amazing sim one day after the last sale, and I've been playing it a lot - mostly in the oculus rift.

I've also been patiently checking the e-shop everyday for news of the next sale. But now I'm giving up.

I already bought flaming cliffs 3 and love it...but now I'm looking for a full featured ww2 module.

Does anyone have any recommendations for the easiest ww2 plane for a beginner to fly? Or any recommendations for the best ww2 module to fly in oculus rift mode?

Thanks for any help.

Easiest ? Matter of process I'd say... But the 190 has less chance of blowing off awing or an engine

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

P-51D for start definitely. it is great for taking off and landing in is a very maneuverable fighter. Although it's engine management is quite a challenge, it is a very fun fighter to fly

Link to my Imgur screenshots and motto

http://imgur.com/a/Gt7dF

One day in DCS... Vipers will fly along side Tomcats... Bugs with Superbugs, Tiffy's with Tornado's, Fulcrums with Flankers and Mirage with Rafales...

:)The Future of DCS is a bright one:)

You can't go wrong with any one of the P-51D/FW190D-9/Bf109-K but they are easier to take off and land in that order (IMHO).

You will know from the free core game which gives you a free TF-51D what the Mustang is like. It can be used on-line in some servers if you haven't done that yet. It should whet your appetite for the purchased version or one of the slightly more challenging LW types. The Bf109-K (currently in beta) is said by some to be the better dogfighter but also said by some to be a bit uber and may change. So in your position I'd either buy the Mustang if I really liked it from the TF-51D or the FW for a change of experience.

Edited by klem

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

P51 is the easier one to take off and land. Engine management is easier in the fw190.

I would recommend trying the free tf51 first and see If you like it.

The P51 is cheaper aswell wich might be something to consider for your first WWII fighter.

As others have pointed, you can play around with unarmed and free TF-51D to see if you like it enough, it is pretty similar to P-51D, only without weapons and a bit more agile due to being lighter.

FWIW, my experiences with them :

I'd personally say despite a bit more complex engine management involved, P-51 is the easiest among current 3 warbirds to get in to, learn taking off and landing, and to fight in. Also, if you like air to ground too, Mustang is currently the best attack aircraft among prop warbird modules. It dives very good, turns pretty good, is generally pretty fast, and usually gives some warning before you push it out of envelope. Although cannons on Luftwaffe birds are significantly more destructive, guns of Mustang can reach out further and is generally easier to hit with.

Fw-190 has the easiest engine management, just set your rpm and leave engine be :) it is rare to have it's engine damaged or stopped, also it is quite resistant to airframe damage inflight due to violent maneuvers (though, it will start to fall apart on you if you accelerate more than 750 km/h). Engine is very powerful, at some speeds you can turn with Mustang just fine, but overall Mustang is a better turning fighter. At most altitues you can out accelerate, out roll and outclimb the Mustang though. Although, the Dora doesn't like low speeds at all and it can depart nastier than other warbirds. Firepower is quite high against aircraft, but strafing ground targets with it is difficult. Takeoffs land landings are always an adventure...

Bf-190K4 also has a generally easy to manage engine, you can, if you want, fiddle with propeller rpm setting but automatic governor does a good job with it if you leave it alone. While it can out run, out accelerate, out turn and out climb other two, it requires constant attention to pull those off. Since, if left to it's own, it doesn't fly stable at all. Also engine power setting changes affect stability / roll tendency rather dramatically. Lastly, in it's current state wings snap of very easily in dogfighting or while pulling from dives. Way too easy... hopefully this is being looked at, but currently it is something to mention. As far as firepower goes, 30mm nose cannon has low velocity, low rate of fire and low ammo and high recoil, but... it really is very, very powerful for air to air use. Takeoffs and landings are experiences straight out of hell :P.

Also, another thing worth mentioning, all of the warbirds (a trait shared by helicopter modules) kind of ask for a good joystick, because they are twitchy and sensitive to input. Since suspect an electrical problem with my Sidewinder FFB2 may have fried my previous mainboard, I have returned back to my Logitech Ext. 3d, flying warbirds and helicopters became a much sadder experience than what they used to be... These modules don't like input spikes, stick play, or weird deadzones built up in stick, and enjoy much more than other modules a stick that is precise (and force feedback is very, very helpful with these modules).

Edited by WinterH

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

I agree entirely with WinterH. Nice summary :-)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus ROG Rampage Extreme VI; i9 7900X (all 10 cores at 4.5GHz); 32 Gb Corsair Dominator DDR4; EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid; 1Tb Samsung 960 Evo M2; 2Tb Samsung 850 Pro secondary.

Oculus Rift; TM Warthog; Saitek Combat Pros.

Also, another thing worth mentioning, all of the warbirds (a trait shared by helicopter modules) kind of ask for a good joystick, because they are twitchy and sensitive to input. ..................).

I'm using JoystickCurves (along with the required Vjoy) as it is much more flexible for curve settings than the simplistic xx% curves in DCS.

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit