3d scanning to make new aircraft?

nick10

yeah, could have a perfect 1-1 scan of an airplane, with like... billions of polygons... and it's nothing but a bunch of triangles...

unless you have all the programming behind the 3d model to make it not just look, but act...

but in all reality, i think the reason why we don't have 3d laser scanned stuff is because the average PC can barely run FC3 planes as they currently are, lots of people can't even use the mig-21, and that's a pretty simple design...

for laser scanned goodness to matter, we'd need more polys than anything could handle.

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

For planes that we don't have any good drawing I think 3D scan is a good option. Of course after producing the 3D model there is a long way till a full module but it is a good start. Even for an AI vehicle is a good start.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

What i'm getting at is... 3D scanning would be to get imperfections, things that make the final built airplane in real life different from the schematics, otherwise 3d scanning is pretty pointless when you can build a 3d model using exact specifications from scratch.

not sure there are any planes you can't get good schematics for, at least military aircraft that you could also model all the systems and flight model for.

Edited by Hadwell

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

3D scanning is an excellent option because of the accuracy it gives to the model. And it would be an excellent idea to do that. If i'd have a 3D scanned model i'd be able to postprocess the model to run without problems in DCS. And, to find a scannable aircraft you can easily find them in museums.

What military do you know that's gonna let a civilian come onto base and hit their aircraft with a laser scanner?

That being said, you can build a 3D Scanner for like $50 w/ random parts, and laser scan 1:10 models, etc.

(Green Spectrum Laser [From a Laser Level etc], A Webcam, a corner Backdrop w/ calibration pattern) and the Software.

Scan, import into MAX, assemble, etc.

http://revision3.com/systm/laserscan/

http://forum.david-3d.com/

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

I'd be intrigued by the possibility of using a desktop scanner to scan scale model parts to use as reference tools in your 3D modeller.

It doesn't get you a DCS aircraft but it could be a nice way to build statics. *OK exactly what Skate said*

Is the museum still there? Or they build a Mall on top of it? :D

I'm sure they are plenty of old airplanes with bad drawings that could be scanned externally and internally for excellent 3D models. You don't need to scan F22.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

I'd be intrigued by the possibility of using a desktop scanner to scan scale model parts to use as reference tools in your 3D modeller.

It doesn't get you a DCS aircraft but it could be a nice way to build statics. *OK exactly what Skate said*

I know some one that uses a $700 Setup

(Computer Controlled Green Laser + 4K Camera (I believe he's now using a GoPro4 Black) on a Tripod + Rotating Stand + Software License),

He scans large scale models in flying trim, (Mounts it with rod coming from exhaust then places on Rotating platform, rotating on the centerline axis),

The Camera is Focused/Calibrated to a corner of a aux room in his house used ONLY for scanning.

He scans other models (space ships, cars, monuments etc), cars are scanned on a rotating Y axis as well (mounts to rod and rotates)

Laser scans as model rotates, cleans up point cloud, converts to polygons, exports to MAX, cleans up shape, and then breaks it up (Adds doors, cuts wings, control surfaces etc), and goes from there.

Some of his scanned models rival the best looking models I've seen, and can use the point cloud to export to a polygon based shape anywhere between 1 million+ polygons and 40K Polygons, the Scanning process takes about 8 hours (Slow rotation, high resolution scanning)

As for scanning real aircraft, you'd need a significantly larger setup, that runs in the thousands of dollars range, access to all aspects of the aircraft for hours etc.

It's likely easier to scan scale models, as it can be mounted to a rotating base and scanned steadily and evenly,

You'd need scans of 1:18 or 1:32 Model (which run in the Hundreds for detailed assembled kits).

(but it is likely cheaper than reserving the time you'd need to scan an entire plane, not to mention you can do it in your own home with your setup).

1/48 might work for Experimenting, but with a cheaper setup, you want the largest model you can get due to px/inch scanning resolution.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

how difficult would be to scan these with the same scanner this guy uses for the van. as long as the aircraft is easy to acces in the outdoor part of the museum and the personnel is very hospitable, giving you the necessary stairs too.

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?placesearch=Off-Airport+-+Bucharest&distinct_entry=true&sort_order=photo_id+desc&page=4&page_limit=15&sid=e578351a0100b0457cd8773f716ada96

The best part of scanning isthat you can handle the model the next way:

1. You scan it and you get a very high poly 3D model, unusable ingame unless you process it.

2. In this stage you can do the next thing, extract a good refference from the scanned model(blueprints, sections, side views) and build the model yourself from scratch BUT, in a lowpoly manner.

3. Create normal maps based on the original scanned model and apply them on your lowpoly model. This way you get best and efficient and accurate model you won't find anywhere else.

I find Cross Sections and Surface Modifier works wonders for most aircraft.

Iirc, Turn10 laser scans car interiors for the Forza series games now.

pretty sure Polyphony Digital does too

iRacing does laser scanning on all their stuff dont they, although I dont know about interiors...

They use the same method turn 10 does, there was a behind the scenes video for FM4,

Turn10 outlines the cars with green stripes before scanning.

Forza Motorsport 4 - Car Sourcing - Making Of:

I work as a volunteer at Lonestar Flight Museum in Houston TX, and while the museum owners would happily let someone laser-scan the aircraft... I don't know that it's really the best way to go about it.

I spent nine hours this past Saturday doing landing gear lube and working on the cowling flaps of our B-17G, let me tell you, scanning that thing would be a MONSTROUS waste of time lol.

I also am a 3D modeler, I work in 3DS Max. Frankly I believe that unless the object in question is around automobile-ish size, laser scanning isn't practical, and you are better served by using 2D blueprints and setting up a scaffold in 3D studio.

Im out that way in a few months, I'll pop by and say Hi ;)

Pman

More as a joke. I think 3D scanning is opposed quite virulent mostly by 3D artists... they say is because they know best the "business", but it may very well be because they are scared of the technology that can render ( :P ) them jobless... more or less.

As the computers can cope with more and more geometry (current models of DCS are closing the million polys I think or at least they are now in 0.something area of million polys, so is the software for 3D scanning is evolving and soon it could optimize the meshes very well so even if the wireframe is not looking very pleasant like from the hand of a human... it might get the job done just as fine.

I think in 5 years... it will be only 3D scanning and nothing can stop that. :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 6 years later...