Tacview, the ACMI for DCS World – Official Thread

Vyrtuoz

Interesting question!

While you can redefine joystick controls to remotely control you flight simulator with Tacview, it is not currently possible to redefine the camera controls for Tacview 3D view.

This gave me an idea about something related. I may be able to do something about it in a coming update.

Is there a plan to add the ability to re-bind the controls/use a joystick in Tacview?

I have one of these and would love to get it working:

https://www.3dconnexion.eu/products/spacemouse/spacemousewireless.html

It can emulate a directx game controller (and a mouse, and it has a native API), so any sort of joystick support would do :)

tacview-signature-512x128x24.png

Tacview 1.7.0 is working fine with DCS World 2.5.

The DCS World telemetry export interface is quite slow and is directly proportional to your CPU performance and the amount of mission objects in the map (not the buildings).

With a modern system, in the average mission, the impact may be between 1 and 4 %. With a map with 1K+ mission objects the impact may be around 10%.

This is something you can easily check even with the demo/free version of Tacview:

• In DCS world options menu -> Special -> Tacview -> Profiling period: 1 minute
  • Then fly for several minutes in your typical mission. Exit and open the dcs.log file somewhere in %USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\DCS.*\DCS.log. Search for “Tacview” until you find the entries which details the performance cost of Tacview exporter.

I'm thinking about purchasing Tacview standard for DCS and Il-2 BOS. Does Tacview 17.0 work with the new DCS 2.5 open beta release and if so, is there a significant FPS impact when running?

Hmm. I'm at work right now so I'll check when I get home. What does the hooks folder have in it? Also I have both the release and beta versions because I couldn't get it to work on 2.2 without the beta either.

I also have no problems with TacView 1.7.0 on DCS 2.5. :dunno:

Btw, this is the official TacView thread where Vyrtuoz, the creator of TacView, is answering questions as well: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=139148

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Hi,

Am I the only one who has an issue with the IL-78 3D model in Tacview 1.7.0 ?

It displays as a triangle. As I can remember, it use to display correctly with version 1.6.4. Is there something I can do to correct this behavior ?

:(

Tacview 1.7.0 is working with a brand-new database and 3D models. It is just a matter of time before being able to see your favorite aircraft.

Now, I don’t recall Tacview 1.6 having a proper IL-78 3D model. But I think that I can add one in a coming release.

Sorry, it's me again.

I downloaded and I tried to use the new version of Mapview version 1.2.

When I try to generate maps from SKYVECTOR, I get this message :

"HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found"

It seems to be a problem with SKYVECTOR URL format in the "maps.ini" file.

Could you please tell me how to solve this issue since I cannot generate the maps I want for Caucasus and Nevada.

I use to do it with the previous version but not this new one.

Unfortunately, I deleted the old version.

Best Regards :smilewink:

Thanks for the feedback! I have notified Mapview developer about that.

Sorry, it's me again.

"HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found"

Could you please tell me how to solve this issue since I cannot generate the maps I want for Caucasus and Nevada.

Sorry, it's me again.

"HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found"

Hi dora,

To fix immediatly this issue, replace #month# by "02" for febrary.

URL=http://t.skyvector.com/mnmnmbdbdbbd/301/#year##month#/#scale#/#column#/#row##format#

replace by

URL=http://t.skyvector.com/mnmnmbdbdbbd/301/#year#02/#scale#/#column#/#row##format#

I will fix it definitively for the next version

Thank you for using Mapview and Tacview

best

Jacques

Edited by jdeyrieux

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I am using Version 1.7

I am trying to get better height data into DCS by downloading .hgt files from here: http://www.viewfinderpanoramas.org/Coverage%20map%20viewfinderpanoramas_org3.htm

Where do I put these files for DCS to use ?

I have tried :

C:\ProgramData\Tacview\Data\Terrain\SRTM3

and

C:\ProgramData\Tacview\Data\Terrain\DCS World

But neither of them seems to change the terrain elevation detail.

I followed this video here:

But even when I tried to change the elevation for the example island given in that video (Reunion Island) it wouldn't work.

If the terrain type selected in Tacview is either “Auto” or “DCS World”, then Tacview will display any data stored as C:\ProgramData\Tacview\Data\Terrain\DCS World\*.hgt

Maybe the file extension was wrong in your case, or the terrain type selected in Tacview was the wrong one?

However, displaying SRTM3 terrain for DCS World replays is not a good idea, because DCS World terrain is not exactly like in real-life. For instance, the old DCS Georgia was offset and distorted. Also, in general, all DCS World terrains are “triangulated” to make them more efficient to display during flight. Therefore, DCS World terrain shape is slightly different from real-life. In the end, using SRTM3 data would make the debriefing less accurate.

I frequently update DCS World terrain available in Tacview. I will integrate the new Georgia map in Tacview 1.7.1+, as soon as possible.

Thanks. I must say, TacView should be an essential addition for anybody who flies DCS. I frequently find I've been shot down, with no idea how or why. It's only when I view the replay that I see where I went wrong, or (more often) how I unknowingly avoided near death many times before finally succumbing.

One question - is it possible to customise the models? E.g. the Harrier uses a default "paper airplane" model, I'd prefer to use one of the other built-in models. And the new Tarawa carrier is represented as a block, which is fine, but I'd like to change its size to be more representative of the true size of the carrier.

Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48K, Kempston joystick Interface, Alba Cassette Recorder, Quickshot II Turbo Joystick

The harrier 3d model have been added to Tacview 1.7.1. I will try to see what I can do about the Tarawa.

You can customize displayed objects by extending the existing database by following the instructions on Tacview website:

This is probably the wrong place to ask this question, but I have a recording from the DCS-DynamicCaucasus map that is 1,089 kb but when I open it it says "The file format of xxxx is not supported."

I have a payed and registered version of TacView 1.7.0.

Any ideas? Did the file get corrupt somehow?

Can't get delay to be off

We're running the latest Tacview 1.7 and the latest 2.5 beta but can't get the delay turned off on the server. It's defaulted to 10 minutes. We tried the work around but it's still doing it with the delay. Any thoughts?

Nvidia GTX-1080

Intel i7-4820K 3.7 Ghz

ASUS ROG Rampage IV Extreme MB

32 GB Memory

Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This is probably the wrong place to ask this question, but I have a recording from the DCS-DynamicCaucasus map that is 1,089 kb but when I open it it says "The file format of xxxx is not supported."

I have a payed and registered version of TacView 1.7.0.

Any ideas? Did the file get corrupt somehow?

If the server is set to 10 minute delay and you are in it for less that that you won't get any data. I'm not 100% sure that's what happened but I've had a similar issue happen before. Were you in for less than 10 minutes?

Nvidia GTX-1080

Intel i7-4820K 3.7 Ghz

ASUS ROG Rampage IV Extreme MB

32 GB Memory

Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If the server is set to 10 minute delay and you are in it for less that that you won't get any data. I'm not 100% sure that's what happened but I've had a similar issue happen before. Were you in for less than 10 minutes?

No, I played for a good hour or more.

It happened again on the same server but it works when I play in the Mission Editor.