Tacview, the ACMI for DCS World – Official Thread

Vyrtuoz

Hi Vyrtuoz,

I'm seriously considering of buying the Pro Licence, but I'd like to verify one thing (didn't find an answer to this question here or in the FAQ):

To what extend does the licence include updates? Do you have a roadmap for the version updates?

I'd imagine that any updates before 2.0 are included with the licence, but how about 2.0 (which I understand you are currently working on)? Do you consider for example giving a discount to the licence owners for v2.0 when it comes out and when is it due to be released?

Thanks!

-PitbullVicious

i9-9900K @ 5.1GHz | MSI Ventus 3X OC RTX3090 24GB | 64GB 3200MHz DDR4 | Asus ROG Strix Z390-E | Asus Xonar DGX 5.1 Sound Card | Virpil T50CM2 base w/ F/A-18C / A-10C / Virpil T50CM2 Grip | WinWing Super Taurus Throttle | MFG pedals | TekCreations Hornet UFC, Landing Panel, Right Console | WinWing Hornet Combat Ready Panel | Buddy Fox UFC | Foxx Mount | 3 x TM Cougar MFD | HP Reverb G2 | Wacom Intuos S (with VRK) | Honeycomb Alpha Yoke | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | CH Fighter Stick Pro & Throttle | MS Sidewinder 2 FFB | Track IR 5 | Oculus Rift CV1

善く戦う者は、まず勝つべからざるを為して、以て敵の勝つべきを待つ。

Hi Vyrtuoz,

I'm seriously considering of buying the Pro Licence, but I'd like to verify one thing (didn't find an answer to this question here or in the FAQ):

To what extend does the licence include updates? Do you have a roadmap for the version updates?

I'd imagine that any updates before 2.0 are included with the licence, but how about 2.0 (which I understand you are currently working on)? Do you consider for example giving a discount to the licence owners for v2.0 when it comes out and when is it due to be released?

Thanks!

-PitbullVicious

In the FAQ

Q: Which versions of Tacview will work with my product key?

Your product key will be work for all Tacview 1.x and 2.x updates, including beta versions.

http://tacview.strasoftware.com/purchase/en/

Playing: F-16C

Intel i7-13700KF, 64GB DDR5 @5600MHz, RTX 4080 ZOTAC Trinity, WIN 11 64Bit Prof.

Squadron "Serious Uglies" / Discord-Server: https://discord.gg/2WccwBh

Ghost0815

Thanks. It seems that I better learn to read before trying to write to forums or indeed play computer games... :cry:

Edit: Purchased BTW.. I guess I'll learn to read while using it...

- PitbullVicious

Edited by PitbullVicious

i9-9900K @ 5.1GHz | MSI Ventus 3X OC RTX3090 24GB | 64GB 3200MHz DDR4 | Asus ROG Strix Z390-E | Asus Xonar DGX 5.1 Sound Card | Virpil T50CM2 base w/ F/A-18C / A-10C / Virpil T50CM2 Grip | WinWing Super Taurus Throttle | MFG pedals | TekCreations Hornet UFC, Landing Panel, Right Console | WinWing Hornet Combat Ready Panel | Buddy Fox UFC | Foxx Mount | 3 x TM Cougar MFD | HP Reverb G2 | Wacom Intuos S (with VRK) | Honeycomb Alpha Yoke | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | CH Fighter Stick Pro & Throttle | MS Sidewinder 2 FFB | Track IR 5 | Oculus Rift CV1

善く戦う者は、まず勝つべからざるを為して、以て敵の勝つべきを待つ。

I thought about a problem related to the “laser pointer” feature earlier, but I think I finally found a way to make it work properly for the 1.4.1.

Stay tuned!

Just tried the online debrief and it's exellent! Only thing I'd like to have is a "laser pointer" or similar that's visible to the clients so I can point other things besides objects and "draw". Great work.
tacview-signature-512x128x24.png

What is Tacview?

I was looking to buy this program called Tacview, but I'm not sure it it's something that's easy to setup or not. I know it records your flight, but does it work in single player mode and is it very easy to use and setup? Thanks!

Simple to set up, works in single player and multiplayer.

It is a great way of reviewing your performance in combat. It can track your position and aspect with an opposing fighter, and also shows missile tracks, projectile trajectories, and shows all threat bubbles, enemy units on the ground etc.

If you want to improve your fighting skills, or just see where the missile came from that hit you, Tacview is the answer.

I was looking to buy this program called Tacview, but I'm not sure it it's something that's easy to setup or not. I know it records your flight, but does it work in single player mode and is it very easy to use and setup? Thanks!

Tacview is one of the simplest programs to install, setup and use. I'm astonished how so many other programs manage to make simple things so complicated but Tacview is a pleasant exception.

DCS Finland: Suomalainen DCS yhteisö -- Finnish DCS community

--------------------------------------------------

SF Squadron

Feature request.

May I make a request? Would it be possible in a future version to display fuel information (amount remaining & current fuel flow rate) to the telemetry panels? Having this information would really assist in evaluating mission and aircraft performance.

Thanks for making such a great tool for us all to use! :thumbup:

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

This is definitively one of the information I would like to add in v1.5. As long as the information is available from DCS World export environment, you will be able to see it in Tacview. I have planned to add new charts to automatically analyze fuel efficiency and this kind of things too.

May I make a request? Would it be possible in a future version to display fuel information (amount remaining & current fuel flow rate) to the telemetry panels? Having this information would really assist in evaluating mission and aircraft performance.

Thanks for making such a great tool for us all to use! :thumbup:

This is definitively one of the information I would like to add in v1.5. As long as the information is available from DCS World export environment, you will be able to see it in Tacview. I have planned to add new charts to automatically analyze fuel efficiency and this kind of things too.

Thanks, that's exactly what I've been trying to do, but manually using the remaining fuel gauge. Having the data displayed by Tacview would be a HUGE improvement over the Mk.1 eyeball method. I'll look forwards to seeing what 1.5 brings :thumbup:

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

With the release of 1.4 I took advantage of the current discount to get the PRO version of Tacview for both a friend and me. Looking forward to try the Online Debriefing function we weren't able to connect. Are there any caveats for that? We opened the required ports but it does not seem to want to connect. Are we missing something?

Cheers

Kirin

You both need to have the same acmi file opened for the online debrief to work. Copy the file to the client, then client opens the file and then connects to the host who also has the file open.

Edited by Bushmanni

SF Squadron

Can you share screenshots of error(s) message(s) displayed by Tacview?

What is your exact issue? Are you able to connect to each other? Do you see your friend's name in the list displayed in the 3D view?

If you cannot connect to each other computer, please check the following:

• Make sure the port is properly redirected on your router
  • Make sure the client entered the public address of the host (either IPv4 or IPv6)
  • You can ask google what is your public IP address to be sure you are using the right one
  • If you are using a password, obvsiouly, make sure it is properly copy/pasted (from another program like skype or teamspeak)

With the release of 1.4 I took advantage of the current discount to get the PRO version of Tacview for both a friend and me. Looking forward to try the Online Debriefing function we weren't able to connect. Are there any caveats for that? We opened the required ports but it does not seem to want to connect. Are we missing something?

Cheers

Kirin

I'm install tacview 1.40 ,Local tac play normal , but Online Debriefing report error:

some data is missing ;did you load the right file for this debriefing?

How to solve it ?

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2539273&postcount=89

SF Squadron

Is it just me or is performance of the strategic view very poor? I'm in the free trial on a windows 10 system. Looking at the strategic view if I press play then try to move the world around by mouse dragging I will frequently get pauses during playback. If I remove the terrain it's a little better, but I do still get pauses.

The saved file is on an SSD drive. I'm trying with a saved file, without dcs running, so it's not being written to. Processor idles around 15%. GPU jumps up as far as 75%, which already seems high for such simple graphics. Using latest release of tacview, 1.4.0.

Edit... Best I can tell it spikes a single processor core to 100% then gets really bad frame rates for a short time. Eventually it recovers until you move the view around again. You can see the behavior with no saves loaded, just zooming into and around the earth that is visible with first launch of tacview. When watching the scene play the performance seems to be worse for angles allowing you to see more terrain or with zooming out further.

Edited by ShortBuss

But you have your OS and your page file on SSD?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

I’m sorry to hear about your performance issue ShortBuss. Can you share more details so I can understand what is happening? Please see the list [How to report a bug?] on http://tacview.strasoftware.com/support/reportbug/

For example, can you tell me what is the brand and the driver version you are using for your graphic card? Is this the first version of Tacview you have this issue with? Can you share your dxdiag file please?

Please note that removing the landscape data will just improve loading performances, because a default empty world with the same level of detail will be generated to be displayed. Also, the strategic view should be smoother than the zoomed-in view because there is less detail to display from a satellite point of view.

According to your last remark, I’m suspecting a graphic card performance issue (slow real-time textures/meshes upload to the graphic card memory).

Is it just me or is performance of the strategic view very poor? I'm in the free trial on a windows 10 system. Looking at the strategic view if I press play then try to move the world around by mouse dragging I will frequently get pauses during playback. If I remove the terrain it's a little better, but I do still get pauses.

The saved file is on an SSD drive. I'm trying with a saved file, without dcs running, so it's not being written to. Processor idles around 15%. GPU jumps up as far as 75%, which already seems high for such simple graphics. Using latest release of tacview, 1.4.0.

Edit... Best I can tell it spikes a single processor core to 100% then gets really bad frame rates for a short time. Eventually it recovers until you move the view around again. You can see the behavior with no saves loaded, just zooming into and around the earth that is visible with first launch of tacview. When watching the scene play the performance seems to be worse for angles allowing you to see more terrain or with zooming out further.

Edited by Vyrtuoz

OS and PageFile both on SSD as well as TacView and the TacView save file. For the rest of the questions:

TacView 1.4.0

Happens in both 64bit and 32bit

It's in 21 day demo so full professional I assume.

It's not related to any specific flight recording. I can reproduce with no track playing.

Source is DCS.

I have not used TacView before now so I don't know if there were problem in other version. Video card is AMD 7970. Driver is the most recent full release from AMD (not beta); 15.20.1062.1004

Once it's zoomed in watching the planes fly around and I leave it alone it performs just fine. Problem is only observed when moving the camera around and it seems to be worse the further zoomed out.

Launching tacview, no files opened I see the globe. I can zoom in quickly with mouse wheel. While it's zooming in it will have several brief pauses. If I try scrolling around the landscape the scrolling will pause frequently. Again this is with nothing playing, no files opened, just looking at the terrain.

When it's pausing the GPU seems to stay around 25%. CPU core 3 is 100%. The other 3 CPU cores have low usage. I also tried resizing the window to be tiny. Figured it may run better with less pixels, but there was no change to behavior.

DxDiag_151105.zip

Edited by ShortBuss
Add dxdiag

...<snip>... According to your last remark, I’m suspecting a graphic card performance issue (slow real-time textures/meshes upload to the graphic card memory).

FWIW, I also have a similar issue and assumed what you stated above: slow texture load times. I assumed everyone has the same issue but if that's not the case, then perhaps it is something related to our gfx/systems? But it seems unintuitive to me that 7950/7970 would be slower at texture loading!?

I'm running Win10x64 w/ Radeon 7950HD 3G on the latest (as of this writing) Catalyst drivers (15.201.1151-150821a-188665E) and have everything on a SSD. I've only tested with Tacview evaluation version as well but have signed up for the Pro group buy and will hopefully get to test with that soon.

What I do as a matter of habit now is start Tacview and zoom/rotate until I've "force loaded" the entire (in my case DCS) map. The pausing/stuttering is very bad during this period, but afterwards (until restarting the program) everything is very smooth.

I didn't report it as a bug as I thought of it as an inefficiency rather than bug and assumed it was universal. However, if that's not the case, it would be great if initial performance could be improved.

Here is my dxdiag as well in the hope that it might help spot any common conditions.

DxDiag.zip

3570K w/ 16GB, 1070 w/ 8GB @ 1440p, VKB Gunfighter/MCG-Pro & T-Rudder Mk.IV, CH ProThrottle, TrackIR 5, HTC Vive, UniversRadio, VoiceAttack, TacView Pro, DCS Menu Nav

F/A-18C, F-5E, F-86F, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Ka-50, SA342, P-51D, Spitfire Mk.IX, Bf109, Fw190, FC3, CA, Persian Gulf, NTTR, Normandy, WW2 Assets

Fixing ATI graphic drivers issues

My current 3D engine sends textures to the graphic card driver in a generic format and let the optimization task up to the driver. This is why I think this is a driver issue, not a hardware performance issue. From my point of view ATI is making great hardware. However, they are providing terrible drivers…

I wish we could have ATI graphic cards with the smooth and stable nVidia drivers…

Now, that said, I can try is to optimize manually the textures before sending them to the graphic driver. This may be the right workaround. But this is going to take some work and to be sure I’m going to work on the right solution, would you JLX or ShortBuss help me by testing some special version of Tacview so we can pinpoint the issue accurately?

If you are interested, please email me and I will send you back special versions to test.