Tacview, the ACMI for DCS World – Official Thread

Vyrtuoz

The automatic script installation does not work *yet* because DCS open alpha is using another folder to store its scripts. It will be supported in Tacview 1.4.1.

Meanwhile please follow the provided instructions in Q14 http://tacview.strasoftware.com/documentation/dcs/#q14 to manually install the export scripts.

The target directory should be something like:

%USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\DCS.openalpha

Edited by Vyrtuoz
  • Like 1
tacview-signature-512x128x24.png

• 2 weeks later...

Tacview Home or Professional?

I am looking to purchase tacview, but I'm not sure which on o get Home or professional? I like the look of the strategic view in professional, but that's the only thing I would want over the Home edition. Would I really need the Strategic view when I am flying solo at the moment though? I'm kind of stuck not knowing what this view actually does. I liked seeing all the 3D hills and that when I watched a youtube video recently and I'm wondering if this is what the strategic view does? Or do you get the 3D effect with hills in the home edition?

Joebloggs,

I’m not sure what you are calling 3D effect, because all versions of Tacview are displaying DCS World terrains in 3D and with shadows.

That said, the strategic view in the ability to see as much of the battlefield as you want. Just play with the zoom and you will be notified when you are in the strategic view “mode” or not by a message at the top of the 3D view (in the demo version).

All features are detailed on my website: http://tacview.strasoftware.com/features/

The professional edition may interest you if you want to go deeper in your analysis by drawing charts and looking at some battles from a strategic point of view. This version also enables you to host a debriefing your friends can join and soon you will also be able to analyze a flight while it is taking place.

Tacview 1.4.1 is now available!

Tacview 1.4.1 is now available!

http://www.strasoftware.com/download/tacview

It offers an even better online debriefing experience and a better support for DCS World 2.0.

Now you can use a professional grade 5mW laser pointer to show to your team mates where they must focus their attention! You can also temporarily give control to one of your fellow instructors so they can share their point of view with the audience.

And the performance issue with some Radeon graphic cards has finally been fixed!

Now, I can focus my work on Tacview 2.0 and the next intermediate release 1.5. Which will feature improved telemetry and the long awaited real time flight analysis!

And for those who want to know more about the past and future of Tacview, do not forget to listen the exclusive interview in the last 476th Podcast from Dojo!

674305307028385792.png

https://t.co/DLC8r0ml8N

Enjoy!

Vyrtuoz

665174067784224768.jpg

FEATURES & CHANGES

• The online debriefing host can now temporarily give control to a client
  • A laser pointer is now displayed when holding SHIFT during the online debriefing
  • Screen space visible by all peers is now highlighted during online debriefing
  • Italian translation by Diego Festari
  • The export script is now automatically installed in all DCS.* folders (inluding DCS.openalpha)
  • DTC files stored in \Data\Static Objects\ folders are now automatically loaded (relatively to the last active theater)
  • Added support for BMS 4.33 tilesets in Data-Falcon4Theaters.xml
  • Updated Korea to BMS 4.33 terrain
  • Updated Balkans to BMS 4.33 version
  • Updated Israel to v1.0 for BMS 4.33
  • Updated Aegean to version 1.6
  • Updated Nevada terrain with DCS World open alpha data
  • Integrated ITO Range 602 from Uri Ben-Avraham for BMS 4.33
  • Added an option to open the current flight recording folder in the File Explorer
  • Improved support of csv files with trailing tabs

FIXES

• Fixed performance issues about terrain streaming with some Radeon graphic cards
  • DTC files drag & drop on Tacview window was not working anymore
  • It is now possible to display a 3D mesh for objects not in Tacview database
  • DCS World export script was not working in some rare cases
  • Charts were not properly synchronized during online debriefings using different files
  • It was not possible to open some files by dropping their icon on Tacview icon
  • It was not possible to copy/paste a shortcut when no data was loaded
  • CTRL+C was creating a bookmark while moving the free camera

I've a problem with Tacview. I ordered the Professional License some time ago, now I wanted to register my Tacview 1.4.1, entered the Key, got an Congratulations Window from Tacview back but it stays in Home Mode. I've tried running it as an Administrator but no joy also.

Maybe it has to do with Windows 10? On Windows 7 I had no Problems what so ever but now it seems that I can't register...

:helpsmilie:

Greetings

Kelevra

Modules: Well... all of 'em

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VIII Hero | CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengance LPX DDR4 | GPU: GTX TITAN X (Maxwell) | SSD1: 256GB NVMe SSD System | SSD2: 250GB Games | HDD 4TB WD Red

Great update, thank you Vyrtuoz!

If you don't mind, I've come up with a couple of suggestions:

- allow to zoom the y axis, or make it auto scale depending on the currently displayed max value. It's sometimes difficult to read the chart if the display range is, for example, from 0-50 and values <5 or so.

- if possible, add few more parameters, like fuel consumption and aircraft weight

- allow user to select preferred units (knots, km/h etc.) separately for each category, and save it as preset

- add distance and bearing measuring tool

- add an option to have small icons, to save some room on the screen for map/charts

A few minor issues:

- fast moving the free camera displays the laser cursor because of the shift key

- parachutes are sometimes upside down :)

A lot of cool things are going to be released in Tacview during the upcoming year. Meanwhile here is some good news for this year-end:

The Holiday sale has begun: From Dec 19th to Jan 3th, 30% off on all Tacview licenses including group buy (volume pricing)!

Your squadron misses you during the online debriefings? It’s the occasion for you to join them!

If you want to upgrade from Home to Professional, just send me an email with your product key and I will send you back a special link.

http://www.strasoftware.com/buy/tacview

TacviewHolidaySale.png

Edited by Vyrtuoz

Sorry for the delay, I was quite busy during the past week…

Can you send me by email or pm the detail of your license? (email address, date, full name) I will check what is going on with it. It looks like that you have entered a valid Home license key several times. Maybe your Professional product key is in another email?

FYI you never have to run Tacview as an administrator. Also, Tacview is compatible and developed with the last version of Windows 10 x64.

I've a problem with Tacview. I ordered the Professional License some time ago, now I wanted to register my Tacview 1.4.1, entered the Key, got an Congratulations Window from Tacview back but it stays in Home Mode. I've tried running it as an Administrator but no joy also.

Maybe it has to do with Windows 10? On Windows 7 I had no Problems what so ever but now it seems that I can't register...

:helpsmilie:

Greetings

Kelevra

I have indeed planed improvements for the charts. And you are gong to get more parameters soon like fuel consumption. If the aircraft weight is available in DCS then you will get it too :)

What do you mean by preferred units? You can already choose your favorite unit system from the settings menu. Are you looking for an option to mix metric and imperial system depending on the data? In which case would you need to mix units?

I’m working on the other points. And when you see upside-down parachutes this is probably a "network" issue in DCS. I hope to get more reliable data with the new exporter and DCS 2.0.

Great update, thank you Vyrtuoz!

If you don't mind, I've come up with a couple of suggestions:

- allow to zoom the y axis, or make it auto scale depending on the currently displayed max value. It's sometimes difficult to read the chart if the display range is, for example, from 0-50 and values <5 or so.

- if possible, add few more parameters, like fuel consumption and aircraft weight

- allow user to select preferred units (knots, km/h etc.) separately for each category, and save it as preset

- add distance and bearing measuring tool

- add an option to have small icons, to save some room on the screen for map/charts

A few minor issues:

- fast moving the free camera displays the laser cursor because of the shift key

- parachutes are sometimes upside down :)

Hi Vyrtuoz,

what's with the multiple radar locks? Is the maybe feasible with the new online debriefing function? I would like to see all the radar locks in the debrief.

Keep up the good work!

Kind regards,

Fire

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have indeed planed improvements for the charts. And you are gong to get more parameters soon like fuel consumption. If the aircraft weight is available in DCS then you will get it too :)

Great, looking forward to it! :thumbup:

What do you mean by preferred units? You can already choose your favorite unit system from the settings menu. Are you looking for an option to mix metric and imperial system depending on the data? In which case would you need to mix units?

I'm sure some folks would find the use of mixing metric and imperial, but no, that wasn't my intention :). The reason I asked for the change was that the default preset uses m/min for vertical speed, which I find hard to use. I later found the preset that suits me fine, but it gave me the idea to have the option to chose the unit for each category. More options the better. :D

I’m working on the other points. And when you see upside-down parachutes this is probably a "network" issue in DCS. I hope to get more reliable data with the new exporter and DCS 2.0.

Roger that.

@ VJS161_Fire

RADAR locks information is sparse in DCS World 1.2. If DCS World 2.0 can export more data, then they will be available in Tacview as soon as the new exporter is complete.

@ grunf

I’m glad you found a combination of units which fulfill your needs! By curiosity, which one is it? Were you looking for meters/second vertical speed? For which use? (this is important for me to understand because I want to remove useless options from future releases of Tacview and I don’t want to remove something which can be useful!)

@ grunf

I’m glad you found a combination of units which fulfill your needs! By curiosity, which one is it? Were you looking for meters/second vertical speed? For which use? (this is important for me to understand because I want to remove useless options from future releases of Tacview and I don’t want to remove something which can be useful!)

I found that Metric (Helicopter) perfectly fits my needs.

You're right, I was looking for meters/second vertical speed. I live in the country which uses metric units, and m/s is the unit I'm most confortable with regarding the vertical speed.

Besides, all the Russian/Soviet etc. aircraft use it. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this is known but the IAS readout for WWII birds seems broken:

http://abload.de/img/flyinglegendso9a52.jpg

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill TridentZ | GPU: Palit RTX3080 Ti 12GB | SSDs: 2xSabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 | Samsung Pro 256GB | Samsung EVO 850 500GB | Samsung QVO 1TB 

Peripherals: Warthog HOTAS | TrackIR 5 | MFG Crosswinds | 3xTM Cougar MFDs | HP Reverb G2

Approaching the speed of light!

You are right, my Bf-109K now travels at up to 140,000 km/h IAS. If I remember Einstein's formula right, that increases my mass by about 13%!

I suspect that the problem was introduced by V1.5: I went through some recent ACMI files and found that the ones from the morning of 31-DEC-2015 showed correct IAS, while the ones from the evening of that same day show relativistic speed. And if I remember well, I upgraded from 1.2.16 to 1.5.2 that day.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Hi, developers!

Sorry my english.

I love Tacview! Now i learn some maneuvers, and navigation and i set trail size maximum, but sometimes would better if the trail size will be endless and show my all path. I want to ask can you or would you make an options for endless trail size?

Thanks for the answer.

You are right, I have noticed the same issue with the IAS displayed with non FC3 aircraft. I have double checked my script and cannot find any obvious issue on my side. It may be either a new bug from DCS 1.5 or a change of the cockpit interface.

I have signaled this issue, but didn’t get any answer yet.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=150912

I hope this will be fixed or documented soon…

I think you are going to be happy:

I have just published the 1.4.2 beta 1 which can display trails up to 4 hours of flight!

http://www.strasoftware.com/beta/tacview

Hi, developers!

Sorry my english.

I love Tacview! Now i learn some maneuvers, and navigation and i set trail size maximum, but sometimes would better if the trail size will be endless and show my all path. I want to ask can you or would you make an options for endless trail size?

Thanks for the answer.

Tacview 1.4.2 is available!

While working on 1.5 and its real-time flight recording, I wanted to release this version so you can enjoy the general improvements which were requested by many for a long time:

• Selected objects trails can now be displayed up to 4 hours (up to 10 minutes for other objects)
  • Terrain elevation profile can be displayed in charts

With this version released, I am now free to fully focus on the real-time flight recording. A technical draft is going to be published very soon for interested people. Even if the first usable version will be limited by Tacview 1.5 old school GUI, the full potential of this feature will be unleashed later this year with Tacview 2.0 fully reworked GUI.

As usual all suggestions are welcome!

Happy new year and happy flights!

Vyrtuoz

http://www.strasoftware.com/download/tacview

689211645307031552.jpg

Edited by Vyrtuoz