Tacview, the ACMI for DCS World – Official Thread

Vyrtuoz

15 hours ago, Eihort said:

Well I didn't want to show that I don't have a password, but on the real server config it is blank. Still happens.

Some clients connect no problem. Some connect and receive a warning that tacview isn't installed on the server and imposes a 10 minute delay, which is of course patently false.

OK I see - Ideally I would like to see (1) a log of the server, (2) a log of a client connecting without a delay, and (3) a log of a client connecting with a 10-minute delay. Perhaps you don't have #3 but could you share #1 and #2 to start? (The client in #2 could be yourself connecting to your own server).

Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Logs\

Saved Games\DCS.openbeta_server\Logs\

okay, here's the file. It's a bit long, but at the end of it, starting around 2022-08-06 01:57:15.78 I connect, and it told me that it wasn't installed. I disconnect, manually remotely restart the mission (just a stop-start. I didn't restart DCS dedicated server process, or reboot the server), reconnect, and then it said everything was fine.

If I had to guess, this seems to be connected to long server runtimes.

dcs.log

On 8/5/2022 at 11:05 PM, Eihort said:

okay, here's the file. It's a bit long, but at the end of it, starting around 2022-08-06 01:57:15.78 I connect, and it told me that it wasn't installed. I disconnect, manually remotely restart the mission (just a stop-start. I didn't restart DCS dedicated server process, or reboot the server), reconnect, and then it said everything was fine.

If I had to guess, this seems to be connected to long server runtimes.

Thank you. This might be associated to a known bug where DCS is not calling Tacview DLL when expected under some conditions.

When this happens, if you simply disconnect then reconnect, without restarting the server or anything, does that work at all?

Also can you please share your server settings? I am especially curious to see what your pause settings are. Saved Games\DCS.openbeta_server\Config\serverSettings.lua

10 hours ago, Eihort said:

We set it to pause when it's empty. And just happened again. Other players are fine, but yet I'm on a 10 minute delay.

serverSettings.lua 1.54 kB · 0 downloads

Thank you. And if you simply disconnect then reconnect, does that fix the issue, or do you absolutely have to restart the server?

Can you please share your log as a client of an incident where a 10-minute delay was imposed on you?

8 hours ago, BuzyBee said:

Thank you. And if you simply disconnect then reconnect, does that fix the issue, or do you absolutely have to restart the server?

Can you please share your log as a client of an incident where a 10-minute delay was imposed on you?

Line in question seems to be at 2022-08-11 01:23:21.678 INFO    TACVIEW.DLL: Tacview is not installed on the host.

Reconnecting never seems to fix it for me. Only restarting the server does.

dcs.log

.... I think you're onto something. It looks like if the server is set to be paused when empty, the first person to get on after someone has already been on, registers as Tacview as not being installed. The very first user after DCS mission start or every user after the first that unpauses it won't see the 10 minute delay.

I did your login/out solution with an empty dedicated server, and it wouldn't register as running.

I just logged on again for party time with the boys, and I got the 10 minute delay as I was first. Others popped on. None of them reported the delay. Then I tried your login/out solution with someone staying in the mission, and it worked.

On 8/13/2022 at 11:35 PM, Eihort said:

.... I think you're onto something. It looks like if the server is set to be paused when empty, the first person to get on after someone has already been on, registers as Tacview as not being installed. The very first user after DCS mission start or every user after the first that unpauses it won't see the 10 minute delay.

I did your login/out solution with an empty dedicated server, and it wouldn't register as running.

I just logged on again for party time with the boys, and I got the 10 minute delay as I was first. Others popped on. None of them reported the delay. Then I tried your login/out solution with someone staying in the mission, and it worked.

Thanks for these extremely helpful details!! We are going to work on reproducing this. 

Update: The server being empty might be irrelevant. Perhaps load times, as when I first enter, it takes longer. When I back out and reenter, the terrain is loaded. I'll try the "mission editor map preload" trick before joining religiously and see if it occurs again and report back.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good morning!
I attach images of incorrect information that tacview indicates about the firing of AG missiles (LS-10 in this case).
I had already noticed it with version 1.8.8, for that reason I installed beta version 1.9.3, but the problem persists:

In flight I fired the missile at the point where the unit I want to destroy is located, visually I see that it is correctly directed at that unit which is effectively destroyed.
But, looking at the data, it indicates that it is headed somewhere else. When it is about to reach that wrong unit, the one that was initially chosen is destroyed.

1.png

2.png

Cheers

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10900KF CPU @ 3.70GHz   3.70 GHz ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING
RAM 128 M.2*2 2T total SSD*3 2.5T total
GeForce RTX 3090   Orion2 HOTAS F-16EX  Saitek Pro Rudder

On 9/16/2022 at 10:24 AM, Colmillo said:

Good morning!
I attach images of incorrect information that tacview indicates about the firing of AG missiles (LS-10 in this case).
I had already noticed it with version 1.8.8, for that reason I installed beta version 1.9.3, but the problem persists:

In flight I fired the missile at the point where the unit I want to destroy is located, visually I see that it is correctly directed at that unit which is effectively destroyed.
But, looking at the data, it indicates that it is headed somewhere else. When it is about to reach that wrong unit, the one that was initially chosen is destroyed.

Cheers

Hi, thanks for this report. Can you please share the ACMI file?

On 9/17/2022 at 12:18 PM, Colmillo said:

Thank you. I looked at this carefully and this is definitely a DCS bug. Tacview simply replays coordinates fed to it by DCS. I have seen this kind of DCS bug before, it happens sometimes. Sorry I don't have a better answer.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BuzyBee said:

Thank you. I looked at this carefully and this is definitely a DCS bug. Tacview simply replays coordinates fed to it by DCS. I have seen this kind of DCS bug before, it happens sometimes. Sorry I don't have a better answer.

No problem, one DCS's bug list
Thanks anyway

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10900KF CPU @ 3.70GHz   3.70 GHz ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING
RAM 128 M.2*2 2T total SSD*3 2.5T total
GeForce RTX 3090   Orion2 HOTAS F-16EX  Saitek Pro Rudder

Howdy,

Is there a way do add (attach) a static object to a "tracked" one?
We could use it to:
- mark position of an acft in a formation. If this added object, a box for instance, is attached to the flight leader, we could visually check the position of the acfts maneuvering in formation

- check boundaries - carrier marshal stack

- control cone during BFM

19 hours ago, tityus said:

Howdy,

Is there a way do add (attach) a static object to a "tracked" one?
We could use it to:
- mark position of an acft in a formation. If this added object, a box for instance, is attached to the flight leader, we could visually check the position of the acfts maneuvering in formation

- check boundaries - carrier marshal stack

- control cone during BFM

Hi,

There is already an add-on which displays a control zone. You can see the code here: https://github.com/RaiaSoftwareInc/tacview.add-ons.lua (look for "control-zone").

To use it, go to Add-ons -> Enable/Disable Add-ons and select control-zone. Then go to Add-ons -> Control Zone and select Display Control Zone.

I am attaching two unpublished add-ons which demonstrate how to attach an image or an object to a selected aircraft. You may need the latest beta for them to work.

Un-zip the folder and place it in ProgramData\Tacview\AddOns\ and follow the same steps as above to enable them.

Let me know if you need more info!

3D Avatar.png

Control Zone.png

display-avatar-2d.zip display-avatar-3d.zip

• 4 weeks later...

Hey @Vyrtuoz - long time user here.  I have your 64-bit Advanced version of the software.

I have always wondered what the red dotted line represents in the product.  I don't see a way to turn it off.  Better yet, what's it represent?  Can you shed some light on what this feature is telling us, please?  I have done some significant internet searching in my attempt to answer this before asking here (including the Tacview site and this thread).  Maybe I am missing something obvious - definitely a possibility.

image.png

Most appreciated!

Update:  the dotted line does disappear when I am low (in this mission), so I am wondering if this is a radar tracking me (it makes sense if that's the case).  An official answer would be very welcomed.  Thanks!

Edited by Mistermann

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

1 hour ago, Mistermann said:

Hey @Vyrtuoz - long time user here.  I have your 64-bit Advanced version of the software.

I have always wondered what the red dotted line represents in the product.  I don't see a way to turn it off.  Better yet, what's it represent?  Can you shed some light on what this feature is telling us, please?  I have done some significant internet searching in my attempt to answer this before asking here (including the Tacview site and this thread).  Maybe I am missing something obvious - definitely a possibility.

Most appreciated!

Update:  the dotted line does disappear when I am low (in this mission), so I am wondering if this is a radar tracking me (it makes sense if that's the case).  An official answer would be very welcomed.  Thanks!

Hi,

Based on the screenshot and descriptions I am pretty sure that is a radar lock. (If I had the ACMI file I could tell you 100%). Since it is red, assuming you are the blue aircraft, it should be drawing a line to you from the red object which is tracking you on its radar.

You can toggle radar locks on and off using the button shown in the screenshot attached

image.png

Edited by BuzyBee
Formatting

3 hours ago, BuzyBee said:

Hi,

Based on the screenshot and descriptions I am pretty sure that is a radar lock. (If I had the ACMI file I could tell you 100%). Since it is red, assuming you are the blue aircraft, it should be drawing a line to you from the red object which is tracking you on its radar.

You can toggle radar locks on and off using the button shown in the screenshot attached

image.png

Except that I have it toggled off in my example.  See image above.  Maybe the toggle doesn't work?  It makes sense that its a radar lock.  File PM'd.  Thanks.

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

2 hours ago, Mistermann said:

Except that I have it toggled off in my example.  See image above.  Maybe the toggle doesn't work?  It makes sense that its a radar lock.  File PM'd.  Thanks.

Hi,

Thanks for sending the file. Now I see what that dotted line actually is. When two objects are selected as primary and secondary object (left and right drop-down menus) a green "line of sight" appears between the two. When the line of sight is blocked, by terrain or otherwise, the green line turns into the red dotted line you see in the screenshot, to indicate that the selected aircraft can no longer see each other.

• Like 1

WOW!

Thanks so much!  I never would have guessed. Most appreciated 

• Like 1

System Specs:

Spoiler

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

Hi, wonder if someone can help identify why tacview is not recording? I have checked all settings with squad buddies, checked the export.lua, searched on my pc for possible other locations of the files all as per the FAQ, but to no avail. I have the standard version. 
let me know what information you need to diagnose. It used to work, I did a reinstall and it’s not worked since……

Here is latest log file

dcs.log

Edited by markturner1960
added log file

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit.