I Got Into The US Air Force Academy!

GodsPrototype

Since I have played DCS for years, and have been part of the DCS forums for a couple of years now as well, I wanted to just share this bit of news.

I got into the US Air Force Academy last week! Class of 2019, here I come!

I know no one on the forums knows me, but DCS, ED and this community are very special to me, and have been a great source of inspiration, so thank you for if anyone actually reads this.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Live the dream. Go get em.

Custom Pit 476 Recruiting

i9-12900KF, 32 GB DDR5, Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Master, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti, 1TB Sabrent Roket 4+ 2x750GB RAID-0, TrackIR 5 /w clip, CRG9 49” Curved Ultrawide Flight Display+15" Touchscreen+17" Gauges display, Thrustmaster Warthog+7.5cm, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, Streamdeck, Butt Kicker and pneumatic G-Seat

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20220716.png

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20221002.png

Congratulations, its great to know a Home Pc Pilot reaches the "sky" :)

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

Good luck and please don't be a clueless officer, we have too many of them in right now. I don't know what you plan on doing, but it's a tough road, but stick with it. I'm enlisted and will be retired before you graduate. The air force is changing and I liked it much better 5-10 years ago. If you want to be a pilot....go for it! Might want to look up what they have to go through and start reading up on things like that.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

Good luck and please don't be a clueless officer, we have too many of them in right now. I don't know what you plan on doing, but it's a tough road, but stick with it. I'm enlisted and will be retired before you graduate. The air force is changing and I liked it much better 5-10 years ago. If you want to be a pilot....go for it! Might want to look up what they have to go through and start reading up on things like that.

Thanks. I'll be sure to not be one of those clueless officers. I did lots of research on what it means to be an officer, and one of the things that stuck out for me was that you are always an officer first. I want to be the best possible officer I can be, and have a good & long career in the Air Force.

I was also fortunate enough to have talked to many USAFA graduates, Class of 1980 (knows the superintendent), Class of 2013 and Class of 2014. They have given me lots of advice, and so has my ALO.

Attending USAFA is one thing I really want, although I've heard it's really hard. When I visited USAFA a year ago, I immediately got a good vibe. I really like it there and certainly hope to become a military aviator someday.

I have read about the process of becoming a pilot in the USAF. USAFA graduates can get a pilot slot quite easily, as long as they're medically qualified. Then I need to perform well in UPT, and I know what kind of tests are required.

Thank you for your service & your advice!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Congrats! and all the best! Aim high! :megalol:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Nice one! You keep at it, if you're doing what you want to do. Excited for ya!

Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i7-9700K @ 4.6GHz, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (8GB VRAM) on 34" LG curved monitor @ 3440x1440, 32GB RAM, TrackIR 3 (with Vector Expansion), Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs.

How exactly does one from the netherlands get accepted into the USAFA?

I was born and raised in the Netherlands, and attended Dutch public school for most of my life. Now I attend an International School, and since my mother is American, I have dual nationality.

As a person living abroad, it was hard to get a congressional nomination.

Thanks for all the congrats and tips!

Hey brother you need any advice or what not about Colorado Springs hit me up. Stationed at Fort Carson

Rich

Thanks a lot. I'm coming a week early to get used to altitude, so I might message you closer to that date. Thanks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks. I'll be sure to not be one of those clueless officers. I did lots of research on what it means to be an officer, and one of the things that stuck out for me was that you are always an officer first. I want to be the best possible officer I can be, and have a good & long career in the Air Force.

I was also fortunate enough to have talked to many USAFA graduates, Class of 1980 (knows the superintendent), Class of 2013 and Class of 2014. They have given me lots of advice, and so has my ALO.

Attending USAFA is one thing I really want, although I've heard it's really hard. When I visited USAFA a year ago, I immediately got a good vibe. I really like it there and certainly hope to become a military aviator someday.

I have read about the process of becoming a pilot in the USAF. USAFA graduates can get a pilot slot quite easily, as long as they're medically qualified. Then I need to perform well in UPT, and I know what kind of tests are required.

Thank you for your service & your advice!

UPT is hard and it has to be. My wife told me that I should of tried to be a pilot, but I like flying and having fun. Not saying they don't have fun, but it's not like playing a game. I had a few friends when I was stationed in Alaska one flew the F-16 and the other flew the A-10. I talked to them many times about all sorts of stuff. The guy that flew 16's ended up getting out and flying for the airlines. The A-10 pilot retired a few years later.

It's awesome that you were able to talk to people about the academy and flying. Best of luck to you and I hope you get the aircraft you want in the world's best air force!

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

Definitely a tough road, but any opportunity that special is bound to be challenging.

I offer you some seemingly contradictory advice: keep your eye on the prize (commission), but stay focused on your immediate goals and tasks. What this means is that it will become a grind: stay focused on what you are doing one step at a time, but use your ultimate goals as motivation to stay the course.

Finally, you'll be tempted to take off or loosen the proverbial pack once your goal is in sight, or once you reach a significant milestone (e.g. commission, selection, winging). Truth is that the only time you take off the pack is when you go on leave!

Edited by Home Fries

Definitely a tough road, but any opportunity that special is bound to be challenging.

I offer you some seemingly contradictory advice: keep your eye on the prize (commission), but stay focused on your immediate goals and tasks. What this means is that it will become a grind: stay focused on what you are doing one step at a time, but use your ultimate goals as motivation to stay the course.

Finally, you'll be tempted to take off or loosen the proverbial pack once your goal is in sight, or once you reach a significant milestone (e.g. commission, selection, winging). Truth is that the only time you take off the pack is when you go on leave!

Thank you. This is actually what I've been doing for the past years that I switched schools. Becoming a pilot has been my life long dream, and when joining the Air Force became an option for me, I set my course for that goal.

I've been focused on that ever since, but I've been going at it step by step. That's how I got into the Academy, something I never thought I was able to do. I never look too far into the future, but look what I need to do to achieve my dreams, and so far, that has worked out pretty well.

Thanks for the kind advice, and I certainly agree with what you said towards the end there: "the only time you take off the pack is when you go on leave!"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]