Model Scaling and Visibilty  

528 members have voted

1. 1. Model Scaling and Visibilty

• Extremely Important
    • Important
    • Indifferent
    • Not important
    • Totally unnecessary

ED categorizes Start Procedure (Autostart) for the A-10C a cheat in the options/control menu even though it is available to everyone so I meant it within that context.

IMHO the point isn't about everyone having it or not... but about different monitor spotting capability. Whitout that feature (I'd like to call it like this), when something is smaller than few pixel you simply can't spot it on a monitor.

For example, you can easily imagine how someone using a 4K 40" monitor will have a much better spotting ability to someone with a 2K (fullHD) 28" monitor. I personally felt this when I moved from a 2K 22" monitor to an Ultrawide 34" 1440p monitor... I could literally see much many thing at a longer distance.

This feature provided by ED will level this "technical" cheating of those that have a better monitor/video settings than the other with a classic medium resolution monitor, because when an object drop below a certain pixel dimension it will be replaced with something visible.

Instead, I would like to know how far could be an object so that the icon will be placed on the screen.

ChromiumDis.png

Author of DSMC, mod to enable scenario persistency and save updated miz file

Stable version & site: https://dsmcfordcs.wordpress.com/

Openbeta: https://github.com/Chromium18/DSMC

The thing is, helicopters are different from planes. An airplane by it's nature wants to fly, and if not interfered with too strongly by unusual events or by a deliberately incompetent pilot, it will fly. A helicopter does not want to fly. It is maintained in the air by a variety of forces in opposition to each other, and if there is any disturbance in this delicate balance the helicopter stops flying; immediately and disastrously.

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO the point isn't about everyone having it or not... but about different monitor spotting capability. Whitout that feature (I'd like to call it like this), when something is smaller than few pixel you simply can't spot it on a monitor.

For example, you can easily imagine how someone using a 4K 40" monitor will have a much better spotting ability to someone with a 2K (fullHD) 28" monitor. I personally felt this when I moved from a 2K 22" monitor to an Ultrawide 34" 1440p monitor... I could literally see much many thing at a longer distance.

This feature provided by ED will level this "technical" cheating of those that have a better monitor/video settings than the other with a classic medium resolution monitor, because when an object drop below a certain pixel dimension it will be replaced with something visible.

Instead, I would like to know how far could be an object so that the icon will be placed on the screen.

Depends on how the engine works. Note, for example, that 1946 is the exact opposite of this. Aircraft/objects in 1946 within the 'visible' range of the player will ALWAYS be represented by at least one pixel, so lower resolutions provided increased spotting benefits. Finding a single pixel is much easier at 800x600 than it is at 1200p.

PC - 3900X - Asus Crosshair Hero VIII - NZXT Kraken 63 - 32 GB RAM - 2080ti - SB X-Fi Titanium PCIe - Alienware UW - Windows 10

Sim hardware - Warthog throttle - VKB Gunfighter III - CH Quadrant - Slaw Device Pedals - Obutto R3volution pit - HP Reverb G2 - 2X AuraSound shakers

I agree, but you really would like to fly with a worse resolution only to have an advantage on the enemy? :)

ChromiumDis.png

The thing is, helicopters are different from planes. An airplane by it's nature wants to fly, and if not interfered with too strongly by unusual events or by a deliberately incompetent pilot, it will fly. A helicopter does not want to fly. It is maintained in the air by a variety of forces in opposition to each other, and if there is any disturbance in this delicate balance the helicopter stops flying; immediately and disastrously.

Strange behaviour... but I understand.

ChromiumDis.png

People do it now already.

...but with that argument if I wanted to have a "benefit" in dogfights, I would simply replace ground textures by a single color light green plane and maybe add a large box to the LOD of typical human jets or fighter aircraft... Would look like crap, but make spotting easy. Or why not replace the model of fighter aircraft with a visual model of a C-130 until you get within, say 1nm?

If somebody really feels the need to "cheat" there are other ways than messing up the resolution.

Me personal feeling is, this kind of behavior (or cheating) is pretty rare in this community.

Anyway for Jets the use of radar and maneuvers is as important as spotting "skills".

And for WWII fighters or dogfight in general, if he is close enough to hit you, should be able to spot him.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)