Typhoon Research Trip - Feb 2015 - Update

Ells228

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are considering a future upgraded version but too early to tell what it will be and what operational access we have to the airframe.

We did look at a block 10 on a prior trip but feel to do Typhoon justice we'll start with the 5.

No we didn't get to go up in the twin stick, maybe one day :)

Great to hear that she's moving to DCS :thumbup:. Keep it up.

2D/3D Artist

MILTECH-5 /PD

Lead 3D Artist - TrueGrit Virtual Technologies

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

BO-105 PAH1A1/VBH / HKP-9A / BO-105 CBS-5 KLH

Eurofighter Typhoon

https://www.facebook.com/PolyDynamicsDCS/

Windows 10 (x64)

3x Corsair SSD GT 250 GB

Mainboard: Asus STRIX Z390-F

CPU: Intel Core I9-9900K @ 3.60GHz

RAM: 64 Gb

Graphics: MSI GForce GTX 980 TI 4GB

HOTAS Warthog

Hofmann Simpad Rudders

Oculus Rift / Oculus Touch

Heavy Metal is the law ! :punk:

We are considering a future upgraded version but too early to tell what it will be and what operational access we have to the airframe.

We did look at a block 10 on a prior trip but feel to do Typhoon justice we'll start with the 5.

Well lets hope the MoD and BAE like what you guys come up with enough to secure future access for upgrades! Though I'm not sure of the commercial viability as only the hardcore typhoon nuts are likely to buy additional versions...

Well lets hope the MoD and BAE like what you guys come up with enough to secure future access for upgrades! Though I'm not sure of the commercial viability as only the hardcore typhoon nuts are likely to buy additional versions...

All of that will be examined once the typhoon is out, we can then make a decision as to its technical and financial viability :)

Many bridges to cross before we get there

Pman

I'm not sure of the commercial viability as only the hardcore typhoon nuts are likely to buy additional versions...

Thats me! :pilotfly:

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

I know it's a little bit picky but it's a common misconception even by a lot of professionals to relate blocks to capabilities as far as the EF programme is concerned. ;)

The approach to start with the last T1 built standard is surely a sensible approach and similar to what I have suggested in the past, albeit starting with a T2 SRP 5.1 like which is largely similar to the T1 SRP 4.3 albeit the latter is even more capable as it had time to mature and receive some capability upgrades not found on the SRP 5.1 examples. Argueably one could go even deeper with PSCs but that's too much for those who don't even know what these abbreviations stand for.

I know it's a little bit picky but it's a common misconception even by a lot of professionals to relate blocks to capabilities as far as the EF programme is concerned. ;)

The approach to start with the last T1 built standard is surely a sensible approach and similar to what I have suggested in the past, albeit starting with a T2 SRP 5.1 like which is largely similar to the T1 SRP 4.3 albeit the latter is even more capable as it had time to mature and receive some capability upgrades not found on the SRP 5.1 examples. Argueably one could go even deeper with PSCs but that's too much for those who don't even know what these abbreviations stand for.

We have specific version numbers in mind.

That is all we will confirm about the specifics on this matter

Pman

make love to me please....i always want to use the latest model of every modern fighter in the world(the moment when you said you will use the block 5...i thought you guys will only use that version,not the late model XD) :D

Feel the Rush of Superior Air Power

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

make love to me please....i always want to use the latest model of every modern fighter in the world(the moment when you said you will use the block 5...i thought you guys will only use that version,not the late model XD) :D

Well for the initial release anyway it will be a Block 5, depending on another round of discussions with the MOD after the Block 5 is nearer completion along with other viability checks we can then look at a Block 10, bear in mind that a block 2 would also require a remodel, its not just a case of adding extra weapons…

So no promises other then we will look at it in the medium term.

Pman

Well for the initial release anyway it will be a Block 5, depending on another round of discussions with the MOD after the Block 5 is nearer completion along with other viability checks we can then look at a Block 10, bear in mind that a block 2 would also require a remodel, its not just a case of adding extra weapons…

So no promises other then we will look at it in the medium term.

Pman

Music for my ears. Thanks for the info.

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

Even for simple things, you can count on industry to charge 100£ million to test pod separation and so on.

Btw there's an old quote, goes something like this: "if you're out of Jags, Tonkas and Harriers, having rockets on Typhoons would be the least of your worries."

(Forgot how it originally went. Might have applied to armoured vehicles now that I think about it...)

Edited by emg
All of that will be examined once the typhoon is out, we can then make a decision as to its technical and financial viability :)

Many bridges to cross before we get there

Pman

I'm pretty sure the Euro-fighter will be a financial success, need not worry about it. My day just keeps getting better and better! I'm extremely excited about both the F-14 and the F-18, but now I have another plane to add to the list, the Euro-fighter! Anyways, you guys have me for beta.

The Typhoon was always meant to fulfil a secondary ground attack role, but it was always a number two priority.

For many years I've been wondering which one plane is better, Dassault Rafale or EF-2000. Now I think it was quite stupid because of the fact these planes were created for different targets. However, I think it's worth to say that Rafale was a french answer for EF-2000 after France left Eurofighter program.

Eurofighter Typhoon - just how you wrote Spectre11, A/G attack wasn't the most important thing. They thought about it during creating that plane but it 2nd the most important thing. That's why, Eurofighter can't take the number of bombs or A/G missiles like Rafale can take.

Dassault Rafale - Franch have got their own project which was proposed to other countries which took part in Eurofighter program. France wanted to have the plane which would be better in A/G attacks - it was the most important thing. They also needed to have version which could be operated by navy, that's why they created also Rafale M.

Many people wonder which one is better:

- in A/A fights and dogfights, Eurofighter should win it

- in A/G missions Dassault Rafale is better because of the possibility to take more A/G weapons then EF-2000

However, there's also a few important things:

1. Rafale was created earlier and had more possilibities in A/A and A/G attacks then Eurofighter

2. We can say that Eurofighter caught Rafale up a few years ago in possibilites.

3. THE MOST IMPORTANT :

Eurofighter is still developing, Rafale seems to be completed plane which won't be developed anymore [ but can be of course ]. Eurofighter is still developing, they're still trying to add some new weapons to it, they think about thrust vectoring.

They say there's no way to use thrust vectoring engines in Rafale because it requires changing the plane's construction which may not make sense.

So, in my opinion Rafale was better then EF-2000 since `90 to 2006 ( when Block 5 of Tranche 1 was released ) or 2009 ( when Tranche 2 was released ). Since 2006/2009 that planes are really similar to each other although both planes were designed for different type of missions. It seems that EF-2000 may be better then Rafale in a few years ( more weapons, thust vectoring, better electronics, etc. ) but time will tell. I'm not going to tell that Rafale will be worst or it won't be developing anymore.

I hope you understand what I mean.

Anyway, sorry for my grammar and problems with using tenses.