Snowbound: A search and rescue mission using the ARK-UD

VFR flight is for chumps. In this mission you're going to be using the ARK-9, ARK-UD, and doppler navigation to find your targets in the middle of a snowstorm.

There are 4 targets broadcasting in and around Sochi. Fly 20km from Sochi-Adler airport to the city of Sochi using the aid of the ARK-9 and doppler navigation. Use the ARK-UD, channels 1-4 to find each pickup. When you finish picking up all 4 targets, Return to Sochi-Adler airport.

Visibility is only 800 meters, theres a 15 knot wind, with a small chance of AK-47 fire. :music_whistling:

Questions and comments are welcome.

Please report any bugs so that I can fix them. :helpsmilie:

Xr5fB4C.jpg

lBYWJiP.png

GBQ7F31.jpg

Download Snowbound from Dropbox here!

Download Snowbound from the ED website here!

Edited by Socket7

Practice makes perfect.

Christ.... what an ending! gotta think how I am gonna survive that!!!!

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

This is a great mission with real powerful wind and snow.

Really enjoying it.

I think I forgot to switch on the pitot heating as all hell broke loose on the way back to base from the rig.

A real Spec ops mission.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

• 2 months later...

Wow. What a challenging mission!

So I am part way and have just arrived at/near the first SOR. At least I believe I have as I have flown back and forth from different headings and watched for the needle to jump. I've noticed the needle doesn't completely reverse itself, but usually swings about 90 degrees of the track, first one way and then the other.

So I picked a place to land - but nothing happens. So I am either in the wrong spot, or too far way. But I am not sure what the next steps should be to refine the rescue point.

Anyone have any suggestions along this line?

Wow. What a challenging mission!

So I am part way and have just arrived at/near the first SOR. At least I believe I have as I have flown back and forth from different headings and watched for the needle to jump. I've noticed the needle doesn't completely reverse itself, but usually swings about 90 degrees of the track, first one way and then the other.

The locator beacon on channel 1 is on top of a building with 3 soldiers on top. They fire off a flare when you get close, as well as red smoke. There is a text prompt as well.

The ADF needle will occasionally swing around for a moment or two during normal operation, but when you fly past a beacon it will swing around keep pointing towards it. It can take some slow hunting around to find, but if you keep turning to keep the ADF needle at 12 o clock, you will do a perfect flyover of the beacon. I've spent many minutes puttering around that beacon at 20kph trying to find it, and I placed it. ;)

(It's that building type with the tower that has 3 little blocks on the top corners. I have players land on the same type of building in my precision landing mission.)

Edited by Socket7

Practice makes perfect.

I updated the mission to version 1.2

The only change is enabling the use of labels. It won't help you find much though, units only spawn when you get close enough to trigger smoke / flares. (It's cold out, and they stay in the buildings until they see you. ;) )

Edited by Socket7

Practice makes perfect.

• 1 year later...

It's obvious in hindsight, but I didn't realize until I gave this mission a try that you can end up in a vortex ring state at the same speed as the prevailing wind. :P

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1btSsDsM8I]Full mission video[/ame]

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVStVsA3LA8]How it ended.[/ame]

Edited by Fishbreath

Black Shark, Harrier, and Hornet pilot

Many Words - Serial Fiction | Ka-50 Employment Guide | Ka-50 Avionics Cheat Sheet | Multiplayer Shooting Range Mission

Got it on my second try—although I should point out that the mission, as distributed, has 15 m/s winds, not 15kt winds. 15 m/s is about 30kt, and that's well above my capabilities. I set it to 15kt for my second try, and had a better go at it, although pickup #4 was still a huge pain.

Many Words - Serial Fiction | Ka-50 Employment Guide | Ka-50 Avionics Cheat Sheet | Multiplayer Shooting Range Mission

I did not consider making it multiplayer, and it's been ages since I looked at the code, which is just built on the mission editors logic.

I've no idea if it will work or not as multiplayer. I've no objection to anyone cracking it open in the mission editor and making their own versions. It's really just a bit of fun. :)

Practice makes perfect.

Socket7, that is an AWESOME mission! Thank you for posting it and, of course, making it in the first place. I can't recall having had so much fun being so tense for so long! :joystick:

Everything worked as it was supposed to, I think, except for the second pick up point. I landed next to the four troops but they wouldn't get on. I never saw the smoke they said they were going to pop when they got to the LZ but then I saw where they were standing, and just landed next to them. After a while, I got tired of waiting and headed out for the next group. There were no troops visible on the oil platform but the doors opened and then shut, then someone told me to take off so I did :pilotfly:

What a hoot!! Thanks again! :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Still one of my favorite mission.

The tunes were a nice touch, made me laugh the first time.

Thanks

Edited by TAnker737

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 3930K @ 4.7Ghz | 980ti | 32gb Ram | Windows 10 64 bit | 840 Pro SSD

Thrustmaster Warthog | VKB Gunfighter Pro | Slaw Device RX Viper | Acer Predator X34

Everything worked as it was supposed to, I think, except for the second pick up point. I landed next to the four troops but they wouldn't get on. I never saw the smoke they said they were going to pop when they got to the LZ but then I saw where they were standing, and just landed next to them.

I had the smoke, but the pickup zone is a little tricky. I landed about 5-10m away, outside the town, and had to taxi past them into the town to get them on board.

Now that I know where they are, I will fly it again and see if I can get everybody inside. I do believe that I noticed the helicopter feeling heavier after the last pick up out on the rig. Does the sim model the increase in weight when folks are picked up like this??

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fishbreath is correct. Each landing point has a trigger that adds some weight.

The soldiers aren't even actually loaded into the helicopter. They just get turned off when the trigger conditions are met. :music_whistling:

Practice makes perfect.

• 2 months later...

I really enjoyed this mission tonight with my friends. I did have to change triggers and replace the ARK-UD with CTLD beacons for MP though.

The oil rig was very challenging for me. I bet the troops heard me hover for 30mins before they seen me. IMC at night over water to a newbie helo pilot gave me sweaty palms haha. Tomorrow I am going to throw a gazelle in and do it multi crew!! Should be a blast!

Very nice set up Socket. Thanks for sharing. Do you mind if I post my MP version to share with others?