FreeTrack Real Head Movement

Last year I used FacetrackNoIR, but got tired of fighting the lighting and the thing not picking up my face when I looked left (cheap webcam). So I started digging around and in my country the only trackIR i could get was being sold for 390 bucks (those guys deserve to be in jail for ripping people off like that by triplicating the original price).

So after a bit i decided to build my own custom made head tracking device

And what is still missing for me is a proper movement for the Z axis, I would love to move my head fwd and it having moving in the direction of my yaw, like "TrueView" in the original TrackIR".

Is there a way to achieve this with Freetrack?

Edited by Kimi_uy

open track z axis curve

attachment.php?attachmentid=113580&stc=1&d=1424891823

take care to keep a "neutral" zone

i7-10700KF CPU  3.80GHz - 32 GO Ram - - nVidia RTX 2070 -  SSD Samsung EVO with LG  TV screen 40"  in 3840x2150 -  cockpit scale 1:1

- MS FFB2 Joystick  - COUGAR F16 throttle  - Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

are you sure you want to assign your Z axis to Yaw ? ???? !!!

250px-Yaw_Axis_Corrected.svg.png

How will you get a look on right and left side so ?

I don't anderstand sorry ...

:doh:

You could use the roll axis which is more useless

Oh i see

maybe you want your eye closer to front cockpit when you turn your head You'll have to play with the Z curve to react same closer in both side right or left

tell us if it works like that :

attachment.php?attachmentid=113585&stc=1&d=1424896057

attachment.php?attachmentid=113586&stc=1&d=1424896231

Edited by snowsniper

i7-10700KF CPU  3.80GHz - 32 GO Ram - - nVidia RTX 2070 -  SSD Samsung EVO with LG  TV screen 40"  in 3840x2150 -  cockpit scale 1:1

- MS FFB2 Joystick  - COUGAR F16 throttle  - Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

He means relative to where he's looking. So if he looks left, view looks left but then if he moves his head forward (toward monitor), the view moves towards the left wing and not towards the front of the cockpit.

Edit: TrackIR does this with TrueView (or whatever they call it).

Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i7-9700K @ 4.6GHz, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (8GB VRAM) on 34" LG curved monitor @ 3440x1440, 32GB RAM, TrackIR 3 (with Vector Expansion), Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs.

You can't do that by remapping axis only, it needs some computations.

For example if you turn your head 20° to the left (in game), when moving your head forward 5 cm the algorithm would translate that in game by 5 cm x cos(20°) forward and 5 cm x sin(20°) to the left.

You can do the same for head roll (leaning right would lean left in game when looking behind).

TrackIR does this natively.

If you want the full system I can post it later, it's quit easy to figure out.

EDIT: this feature is a must have, it should definitely be configurable somewhere.

I don't use opentrack, maybe you can post a screenshot of the "options" tab to see what's in there?

Edited by PiedDroit

http://gyazo.com/2f6d89275f7b13f93ef05657b6ff209f

In that image you can see something related to what i mean. gonna test now and report results.

EDIT:

I got a mild effect but it's going the right way :)

Still it's been like 2 hours since I've started setting it up, it seems every axis is interconnecting a lil bit :S

Edited by Kimi_uy

I am using Edtracker, no need for a camera, it is very small and can use the Freetrack interface. Works really well with DCS

Looks interesting. However the question is, does it have the effect I'm talking about? (yaw + z = move your head in the direction you are looking to)

I think Edtracker can only do 2DOF due to the limitations of the sensor used.

Main rig: i5-4670k @4.4Ghz, Asus Z97-A, Scythe Kotetsu HSF, 32GB Kingston Savage 2400Mhz DDR3, 1070ti, Win 10 x64, Samsung Evo 256GB SSD (OS & Data), OCZ 480GB SSD (Games), WD 2TB and WD 3TB HDDs, 1920x1200 Dell U2412M, 1920x1080 Dell P2314T touchscreen

Yeah, that's way out of my reach either way. To get hardware down here in South America is too darn expensive: TM Warthog HOTAS for 900 us dollars, Saitek Pro Pedals 400 bucks, trackIR 400 bucks (I did my own headtracker :p).

So for that matter I'm sticking to freetrack. I tried to fight opentrack but it's impossible to find the correct position of my head, I fought it for hours and became dizzy cause of the struggling. I loved the almost-zero lag it has though.

I have been searching for this as well. Even seen one or two posts on the ftnoir forum about it. In one thread a dev answered and said that it would be in the next release. But that post was made 2013 and the other thread didnt have an answer.

I also tried opentrack but find it lacking, buggy, crashing compared to pointrack with Ftnoir (at least on my 2 pcs)

So if anyone has any solution that would be great.

"Hard to imagine bigger engine. its got a beautiful face and an arse built like sputnik." - Pikey AKA The Poet, on 37 Viggen.

in my country the only trackIR i could get was being sold for 390 bucks (those guys deserve to be in jail for ripping people off like that by triplicating the original price).

I'm going to be "that guy". Supply and demand. If they're the only place to get it they can charge what they want. Immoral? Maybe. Illegal? Not at all. I hate it too when that happens though. I also applaud you for looking for a different alternative and I learned a little from this thread.

So good luck and thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/user/311Gryphon

i7-8700, 32 GB DDR4 3000, GTX 1080 TI 11GB, 240 GB SSD, 2TB HDD, Dual (sometimes Triple) monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, TrackIR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]