Opinion Poll - Projectors VS Monitors/TVs

I have seen hundreds of setups and have used the 3 monitor setup in a small 24" scale and want to go full immersion (bigger).

What is everyone's opinion on monitors or TVs vs projectors? Is the quality hit from the projectors worth it. 3 projectors or 3 large monitors/TVs I see as being relatively the same cost.

Are there any performance concerns with either?

I would say that with projectors you have a blurrier image that can make things harder to spot, but it may look nicer as you won't have any bezels to deal with. And you need a lot of space too...

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

The bluriness is subjective. I prefer the oculus rift followed by my 55 incher in 3d. If you go projector I highly recommend the 3d route. You won't be disappointed and the immersion factor highly out ways small screens with ..... Less blur

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

Sony 55w802a. Was reviewed as one of fastest response time tvs and can be edid hacked so you can run 3dvision at 1080p at 60hz

http://afriendlyfox.com/2013/02/04/massively-improved-nvidia-3d-vision-on-passive-3dtvs-edid-override/

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

Soon everyone will be using virtual reality headsets. Well implemented, they will offer better immersion.

HTC and Valve have announced the creation of a new VR device which will be in competition to the Occulus Rift.

The day I strap a monitor to my face is the day I check myself into the phyco nerd ward. I have no trouble being "immersed", even with crappy computers and peripherals. Fancy hardware does not equal immersion, and I'd go so far as to say that it actually has little effect on it. People get used to whatever they use.

Edited by runny

The day I strap a monitor to my face is the day I check myself into the phyco nerd ward. I have no trouble being "immersed", even with crappy computers and peripherals. Fancy hardware does not equal immersion, and I'd go so far as to say that it actually has little effect on it. People get used to whatever they use.

In 10 years time, when you do strap one to your head, remember this that you have said here.

Edited by panzerd18

I thought the same then I flew in 3d. Then was like vr ya right lame then I got a Dk2 and was like holy s... It's amazing even at these early stages.

• 4 months later...

6 months later I finally decided to go with 3x 46" TVs. I tried out projector and didn't like how the HUD looked and before I purchased above 50" tv's I read a few posts about seeing the pixels sitting that close to the TVs. I am happy with the decision. would be cool to try the VR headsets but then I have the problem of actually seeing the keyboard and controls.

hi, good timing of this thread, i currently consider upgrading from a 24" monitor.

regarding tv:

since i own a 55" tv i hooked it up thinking it would be the logical step. everything was pretty cool except for the input lag i experienced. true, when flying planes in dcs it was noticable but not too bad, since things are moving slowly anyhow, i suppose. still, compared to my monitor a definite step back.

my tv is a samsung ue55 f6170. supposedly input lag is somewhere around 40ms?

so, how do you experience input lag? is it noticable at all? and if you don't notice anything what's the lag of your tv?

many thanks