Test Flight - MiG-15bis Video Series

Bunyap

Thanks Owl I forgot DCS puts those details on the product page. :)

--Maulkin

Windows 10 64-bit - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @ 3.7 GHz - 32 GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 - Asus Crosshair VIII Hero motherboard - Samsung EVO Pro 1 TB SSD - TrackIR 4 Pro - Thrustmaster Warthog - Saitek rudder pedals - Lilliput UM-80/C with TM Cougars

Isolation Valve

Bunyap,

Thanks for taking the time to make this series. You cover these modules in exactly the detail I enjoy watching!

I notice that you're not turning on the "Isolation Valve" on startup, and I'm wondering if you have found anything about it. The only information I've been able to find is this post: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2329421&postcount=7

Based on that, I've been turning it on after engine startup.

Also just found this: http://www.casa.gov.au/ADfiles/over/mig15/mig15.pdf which vaguely mentions it with fuel system testing.

F99th Pb_Magnet #73

Great question. :) This is the relevant part of the russian language manual translated (kind of) into english:

"As mentioned above when changing the airspeed or altitude air pressure upstream of the compressor and also varies to accommodate these changes using barostatichesky controller (5). Aneroid barostat (sensor) located at the inlet to the compressor and is under the full air pressure, and a servo that performs direct control, is included in the fuel line of high pressure. Barostat membrane under the influence of air pressure moves the actuator arm, which ultimately drives the servo piston sealing valve (4). This piston in turn increases or decreases the amount of fuel going to overflow from the high pressure line (15) into the low pressure line. Thus, by automatically controlling the pressure of fuel is carried out constant maintenance of optimum ratio of fuel and air in the combustion chambers. At the same time control the fuel consumption is static, as changing the position of its regulatory body (the swash plate) is associated with a corresponding change in the control parameter (fuel pressure). Flow regulator has a static error control.

In case of malfunction barostaticheskogo controller provides the shutdown of the control system of automatic control. This is accomplished by a solenoid (electromagnet) operating voltage of 27V DC. Disabling barostat the inclusion AZSa switchboard on the left, on the solenoid (disconnect barostat) signals lamp, Figure 3.16."

Until proven otherwise, I take that to mean only throw the switch and isolate the system if you suspect the automatic system is malfunctioning (i.e. incorrect fuel pressure, RPM, EGT for a given altitude). I just tried it out and it causes a very small change in RPM and a little "jump" in fuel pressure when you use it at high altitude. I really wish I knew the exact conditions that would cause a pilot to throw the switch but it might be more clear when the manual is fully translated or more documents show up.

------------------------------

#16 is up and the series is more or less complete. I will re-engage if anything changes but that is it for now. Thanks again to everybody who watched. :)

Bunyap,

Thanks for taking the time to make this series. You cover these modules in exactly the detail I enjoy watching!

I notice that you're not turning on the "Isolation Valve" on startup, and I'm wondering if you have found anything about it. The only information I've been able to find is this post: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2329421&postcount=7

Based on that, I've been turning it on after engine startup.

Also just found this: http://www.casa.gov.au/ADfiles/over/mig15/mig15.pdf which vaguely mentions it with fuel system testing.

I've been wondering what exactly it does too. I turn it on because the engine responds much quicker to throttle changes compared to when it's off.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

• 4 weeks later...