Mayday, mayday... (frustrating radio issues)

Lalbatros

Dear All Mighty Community,

After hours playing DCS without any problem, I find myself unable to send any datalink command. The menu pops up, I can try any combination to check if wingman n°42 is really going to go get me a coffee and drop a few bombs on the way... but everybody stays silent.

Even ATCs don't respond either, dispite threats of blowing their asses off if they don't answer my knock knock jokes.

I really don't know how to fix this, and most missions in campaigns are much less fun to play without a wing.

Here are my failed attempts to fix the issue:

- Browsed the forums to find answers. Nothing seemed to help.

- Tried resetting the campaigns, but as the problem occurs even in training missions, I wasn't surprised it didn't change anything.

- Uninstalled and reinstalled a freshly downloaded version of BS2.

- Played with all the radio buttons I could find.

- Deleted the files in "Saved Games" folder.

- Tried to use a steam version of DCS to see what would happen: exact same problem.

The feature works fine in the S-25T though.

Any one, any clue? Do you think deleting the whole thing and redownloading the game is needed? Are we even sure it would work? (I'm thinking a hidden file remains burried somewhere, with a nasty option line with a nasty incompatibility...)

Lonely flying today :(

After hours playing DCS without any problem, I find myself unable to send any datalink command. The menu pops up, I can try any combination to check if wingman n°42 is really going to go get me a coffee and drop a few bombs on the way... but everybody stays silent.

Even ATCs don't respond either, dispite threats of blowing their asses off if they don't answer my knock knock jokes.

To make sure I understand your question: The problem is not the datalink, the problem is with radio comms, right?

(The Ka-50 does have a dedicated datalink, but what you describe seems to have nothing to do with it.)

So, when you push the radio button (SPU-9 PTT in Options -> Controls -> Ka-50 Sim), the radio menu pops up, you can select entries, you hear your pilot's voice say stuff like "Two, engage targets of opportunity", but you don't receive a response?

Except for the fact that, according to your post, this used to work, I'd say you're simply transmitting on the wrong frequency.

Also, if I recall correctly easy communications are or have been bugged recently, the solution then would be to switch to realistic comms (Options -> Gameplay -> Easy Communication unchecked), make sure you're on the correct frequency and try again.

As always, if this doesn't help, post a track.

Good evening, and thanks for caring!

You're totally right: it's a radio comms problem, I don't know why I said datalink. Although the datalink has been eluding me as well, but that's a problem for another day.

So yes, I press SPU-9 PTT (default key RAlt-\), the menu pops up, I select entries BUT! I cannot hear my pilot's voice. And I do not receive a response either.

Despite using easy comms, I checked I was using the proper frequency (ie. 124.00 according to mission editor, and 127.5 according to some descriptions in tutorials. I tried both, without result).

I'll try switching easy comms off, and come back with the news. I'll post a track if needed.

Just to be sure: the only thing to set in order to use the right radio and frequency is the frequency shown on the left leg panel, and make sure every radio is powered on, correct?

Thanks again!

Just to be sure: the only thing to set in order to use the right radio and frequency is the frequency shown on the left leg panel, and make sure every radio is powered on, correct?

Yup, that sounds right.

You'll find the ATC frequencies in the Mission Editor and in the F10 map; when you click on an airfield, its frequency get displayed (among other things).

With other aircraft, you'll have to check their frequencies in the Mission Editor or maybe they're given in the briefing. I think by default other Ka-50s will be on the same frequency that's preset in the player helo (127.5 IIRC, or was it 124.0?), but might be worth checking out in the ME just to be sure.