[NO BUG / EVALUATING] 1.2.15 slight tendency to roll right

Eldur

As an additional piece of information, I have found that even if the gun is fully loaded, with an otherwise clean jet and zero wind, the jet exhibits a tendency to stabilize at around 1° of left bank.

To test this, establish not more than 1° right bank. The aircraft will very slowly bank to the left, then stabilize at about 1° left bank. This is hardly noticeable unless using time acceleration and flying long straight legs.

Setting the gun to 90% for compensation does not remedy the situation, since with 90% the aircraft will overcompensate the default left roll and stabilize at about 1° right bank.

• 3 months later...

This is definitely a bug and not a wind effect, still present in 1.5 and is affected by the loadout of the aircraft in-game vs a loadout set from the mission editor.

A -21 that is re-loaded in game (from the F8 menu) behaves correctly with no roll tendency.

A -21 that is not re-loaded in game (i.e. you startup and fly with the payload selected in the mission editor) exhibits a roll tendency to the right which changes to some degree with different payloads.

There may be other issues related to this, i.e. it seems that an aircraft not reloaded in game has more tendency to oscillate during takeoff and sometimes the engine stalls out when the RATO cuts off.

I would guess that the weight and balance calculations are performed differently when the aircraft is reloaded vs spawned.

Please check this and report your findings:

Create a mission with a loaded Mig-21 (i.e. 90% fuel, symmetrical load of 500kg and 250kg bombs) and set it as 'takeoff from runway'. Takeoff and note that there is a roll to the right tendency. If you engage the SAU Recovery the aircraft will stabilise in height but with a right bank and will circle slowly to the right. Left stick position is required to prevent roll.

Load the exact same mission but use the in-game payload editor (F8/Rearm) to alter the payload. From what I can see you can change any aspects of the payload - even just pressing OK without making changes - and as long as you receive a 'rearming complete' message the roll problem disappears.

Even creating a mission with no payload seems to exhibit some weird problems, an 'empty' (from the mission editor) seems a lot more inclined to wobble from wheel to wheel on takeoff than an 'empty' (F8/Rearm/empty) aircraft.

Here is a track. In this track I takeoff with a pre-loaded Mig-21 and demonstrate the roll tendency, also engaging the SAU recovery and demonstrating that the aircraft holds right bank and circles slowly. I then drop the payload and the roll tendency disappears. I then land, reload with the same payload as the mission started with (80%, bombs) and takeoff again and there is no roll tendency.

Mig 21.trk

• 2 years later...

I'm bringing this old post back up, but has anybody heard that they will do anything about it?

I have just started using the Mig21 and in the tutorial I experience the exact same problem. And we're more than 2 years after the original post..... :(

That is kinda depressing to see they don't care to fix it :(

So the workaround is just reload the weapons using the ground crew before taking off?

Windows 10-64bits, i7-8700k, GTX 1080Ti, 32 Gb RAM, MSI Monitor 32in 165Hz.

Mirage 2000C, F5-E, Mig21bis, A10-C, FC3, F-18, AV-8B N/A, F-14, F-16, SuperCarrier

If it's an old missions issue it would probably be fixed by opening and resaving the training missions in the editor once.

Ok thanks. So I guess the Mig-21 Tutorial is probably what you refer to as "old missions".

I'll try to do what you suggest. For the tutorial it's not that big of a deal, but I'd still be curious to test if your suggestion works.

Windows 10-64bits, i7-8700k, GTX 1080Ti, 32 Gb RAM, MSI Monitor 32in 165Hz.

Mirage 2000C, F5-E, Mig21bis, A10-C, FC3, F-18, AV-8B N/A, F-14, F-16, SuperCarrier

• 1 year later...