Wingman is concerned and dropping flares, but about what?

Rangoon

So I'm in a hover, scanning, scanning, scanning, and I can hear my wingman popping flares (and see it in the mirrors). He's obviously concerned about something (my dog sometimes gets concerned about harmless statues). I feel relatively safe, since nothing is engaging us, and we've been here for a minute or two. I don't want to tell him to scout ahead, I'm not ready to leave my position, and I'm not about to just turn tail and dive out of paranoia even though sometimes I know that's what I should do. Is there some way I can get my wingman to tell me what he's seeing? Even if he just *thinks* there might be something way off in the distance but he can't quite make it out, I'd love to hear about what he's squinting at. Just a bearing, maybe an estimated range, or a clock position, anything. But he just sits there popping flares and I can't find an appropriate radio command.

What's a flight lead to do?

What's a flight lead to do?

Nothing much you can do about it, except note there're hostile SAM launchers somewhere in the vicinity. The thing is your wingman has Mk.Vbis eyeballs against your Mk.Is, so he'll spot any threats much further out than you. Annoying, but it is what it is :noexpression:

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Just a bearing, maybe an estimated range, or a clock position, anything. But he just sits there popping flares and I can't find an appropriate radio command.

As long as it's about spotting units, AI wingmen do call out this kind of stuff on a regular basis, like "Two, tally SAM, 1 o'clock for 8". These guys do indeed have super-vision.

When they have a RWR, wingies call out stuff like "Two, Mud Spike, 12 o'clock", but I don't think they do that when they get tracked by laser, so the only thing you'll hear is "Two, SAM launch, 1 o'clock! Two, engaged defensive. Two, I'm hit! Two, ejecting". Which, obviously, is a bit too late to avoid the threat. :music_whistling:

Though I'm not entirely sure, I think wingmen will keep popping flares until they're empty, so them illuminating the map doesn't necessarily mean that they keep getting tracked all the time.

DCS AI has always had it's flaws, you just have to learn to cope with it or go online and observe human wingmen do stupid things instead. :D

Off topic: I'll reply to your other thread later on; just need to check some things first and thoroughly read your posts (again) because the topic is pretty big and I haven't found the time yet.

As long as it's about spotting units, AI wingmen do call out this kind of stuff on a regular basis, like "Two, tally SAM, 1 o'clock for 8".

I've heard him call a few things out, true, but it's mostly about actual action events (engagements mostly). I don't recall yet hearing him call out contact reports on enemies merely spotted or suspected. And certainly I haven't heard him call out whatever he's popping flares about in these cases. It's just *flare*.... *flare*...*flare*... for minutes on end. Like he's taunting me. Maybe it's a hazing ritutal for the new flight lead.

And right; I'm not expecting the AI to be logical under all conceivable circumstances (when has AI ever been). This one just throws me because he's obvioulsy reacting to something. Though maybe it's like you say about the AI just continuing a routine because of one fleeting glimpse of a ZU-23 barrel poking through a bush as we crested a rise into the next valley.

I don't want to tell him to scout ahead

Your dog or your wingman? Hehe

I think its an advantage though, because unless you REALLY have good SA, you will most probably run into an unseen threat.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I think its an advantage though, because unless you REALLY have good SA, you will most probably run into an unseen threat.

Essentially I do agree with this. I'm glad he's giving me a hint at least (not to mention engaging in a little self-preservation). But I also worry that he's needlessly broadcasting our position with those flares! Flares are not very camouflaged! And beyond that, I just would really appreciate him letting me in on his little secret. What does he see!?!?

But as you said, at least he sees whatever is out there and is letting me know in his own quirky way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • ED Team

During a mission of mine, a pair of Mi-8's started dispensing flares as they entered the SAM WEZ (Weapon Engagement Zone) of an SA-9 on final approach to the LZ. They stopped dispensing when they landed (obviously), and then resumed dropping precautionary flares until outside the SA-9 WEZ. I believe the default behavior for air units is to do this, but you can change this behavior for individual units in the Advanced Waypoint Actions in the mission editor. You can set it to "Chaff/Flares Only When Missile Is Fired" or something worded like that.

It is of course more advantageous to prevent a SAM unit from getting a firing solution on you for as long as possible. Once weapons are in the air, you're already behind the curve.

(I had the SA-9 AI turned off to test the Mi-8's to make sure they landed where they were supposed to. In reality, if the Player is supposed to clear out the air defenses)

Edited by Raptor9

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head