Oxygen Bug

Kelevra

I encounter one major bug whilst practicing the Mig15.

And it concern the oxygen reserve.

Prior to takeoff I open the air valve and the oxygen valve, I see the blinker confirming that I have correct air supplies.

1. the oxygen gauge goes down really quickly 10 minutes max. after that you pass out of hypoxia.

2. even on the ground with the canopy opened I suffocate when the O2 reserves reach the bottom.

me too. I tried opening the oxygen valve and didn't touch the air valve, it seemed to last longer but I crashed before I could be sure.

Win 10, Gigabyte Aorus Ultra with i5 9600KF @ 4.6GHz, 32G DDR4 3200 RAM, GTX 1070, TrackIR 5, TM Warthog stick on VPC Warbird base, Warthog Throttle for jets & helis, CH Throttle Quadrant for props, CH Pro Pedals, 500GB SSDs for installed sims :gun_smilie:

If You didnt touch air valve You can fly as long as You can ;>.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Happened to me and my squadmate too. Low altitude hypoxya then crashed just before arriving on the target because no time to understand what happened....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel I7 8700K / RTX 3080 / 32Go DDR4 PC21300 G.Skill Ripjaws V / MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold - 1000W / Noctua NH-D14 / Acer XB270HUDbmiprz 27" G-synch 144Hz / SSD Samsung 860EVO 250Go + 1To / Cooler Master HAF X / Warthog+VPC WarBRD / Thrustmaster TPR / Track-IR v5 + Track Clip Pro / Windows 11 64bits.

you weren't turning the emergency valve which is up higher

Indeed. Just noticed this too. If you open the so-called air valve, it force-feeds you oxygen and depletes it in no time at all.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

The oxygen valve opens counter clockwise, were you turning it on or off?

Also, make sure you weren't turning the emergency valve which is up higher. The oxygen valve is the lower one.

It happened to me once, but that was why.

As I see it, there are 3 valves on the left hand side.

1. that read Air valve

2. that read Oxygen Valve

------------------------

3. and also one that read Emergency O2 Valve

(Which is not part of this issue as I mention earlier only valve 1 and 2 are being turned on)

-----------------------

Prior of turning any valves :

The blinker indicator ( situated front panel left) is off.

The Oxygen gauge (situated left of the blinker gauge) show 0 %

If you turn the O2 Valve the blinker stays off,

but O2 gauge shows the remaining of O2 supplies.

While the O2 valve is on, if you turn the air valve the blinker starts blinking, that gives the impression that your are good to go, since air blinkers are visual indications air is being correctly routed to the pilot .

The regulator open position is forward (you can read "3AKP" which means "closed" but in fact there is a little Arrow indicating the way to close... here is the trick !)

40.png

If oxygen valve is open (150 bar indicated on the oxygen gauge left of landing gear lever) and oxygene regulator is open too so everything will work fine.

Bellow 2000m altitude no oxygen is delivered but when you start climbing to higher altitude your flow indicator will start blinking and oxygen quantity will lower.

But ! What seems to be wrong is when oxygen regulator is closed (back position). Flow indicator blink and oxygen quantity decrease even on ground. when oxygen bottle is empty pilot suffer of ingame hypoxya effect then you got a black screen even below 2000m..... :doh:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel I7 8700K / RTX 3080 / 32Go DDR4 PC21300 G.Skill Ripjaws V / MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold - 1000W / Noctua NH-D14 / Acer XB270HUDbmiprz 27" G-synch 144Hz / SSD Samsung 860EVO 250Go + 1To / Cooler Master HAF X / Warthog+VPC WarBRD / Thrustmaster TPR / Track-IR v5 + Track Clip Pro / Windows 11 64bits.

One more thing I noticed. If you open just the oxy valve (NOT the air valve) and take the bird up to 3500m ASL or so, the system begins to feed you oxygen automatically - the blinker starts going all by itself without you having to do anything. So there's apparently a baro switch / valve or 2 somewhere there it seems :)

EDIT: Sniped, Didi noticed this too.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

The regulator open position is forward (you can read "3AKP" which means "closed" but in fact there is a little Arrow indicating the way to close... here is the trick !)

40.png

[...]

Ah ok my bad :) you are absolutely right. I was shutting the air valve :D

I didnt see any bug. 30 minutes at 12.000m. No any problems. Dont touch air valve. Its open as default.

Turn on only Oxygen Valve.

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

I didnt see any bug. 30 minutes at 12.000m. No any problems. Dont touch air valve. Its open as default.

Turn on only Oxygen Valve.

I got stifled just because of my own idiosyncrasies : by trying and turning every knobs around....

Hence there is probably no bugs at all... :pilotfly:

I just turn on the oxygen and don't see any action on the blinker untill i get some altitude.

Right, it starts near 4400m.

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Yes, if you read the quick start guide, it doesn't mention this third valve on the left. The only valve on the left side of the cockpit you need to operate is the pilot oxygen supply valve.

If you do something different, how can you call it a bug? We have a very short concise saying here in the UK, and I am sure, all around the globe. RTFM!! Or in this case RTFQSG!!!

Does no one else when they encounter problems not go back to basics and try and find what they are doing wrong before blaming the developers?

It also makes a great deal of sense to me to run a repair before suspecting the program. But that, of course, is another matter.

Btw. I translated here from RU manual how it works: http://il2forum.pl/index.php/topic,16945.msg320544.html#msg320544 but its in Polish now. Maybe someone will translate it for English, or from direct manual RU to English.

151 to 153 page of manual RU.

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

I think the only bug with oxygen system is here. See this external view:

Nowy-1_zps8ss1x0rn.jpg

Oxygen mask with zoom out...

I hope it will be solved. According manual more than 2000m pilot uses oxygen, so the best option is to do animation for this.

btw. according my tests I see the "respiration" on Индикатор кислорода ИК-14 from 4160m.

Edited by YoYo

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

• 1 month later...

Indeed, I had noticed this to on my first try out of the Mig 15 a few weeks ago, during cockpit familiarization before even starting the engine, and erroneously posted it as a bug. It is in fact right, as far as I can see (see thread).

About the operation of the system itself, my assumption is that it is something akin to the flight crew oxygen systems on commercial aircraft, in function, and on the Mig 15 goes something like this;

1. With Air Valve (mixer unit) open and the two oxygen taps closed, you will breathe the cockpit air.

2. If you close the Air Valve on the mixer unit you will suffocate yourself because the pilot won't take off his mask.

3. With Air Valve open and normal oxygen tap open, you will get diluted oxygen on demand - as you breathe, the mixer progressively providing more oxygen in the mixture proportion the higher you go, until you are eventually getting 100% oxygen on demand.

4. With the normal oxygen tap already open, if you open the Emergency Oxygen tap AND close the Air Valve on the mixer unit, you will get forced, positive pressure 100% oxygen to the mask, regardless of altitude. This would be a temporary case configuration, during a cockpit smoke clearing procedure for example, as it would certainly use up your oxygen very quickly. I believe the cockpit smoke simulation is WIP? Might see more on this when it is done.

5. With Air Valve open and both oxygen taps open, you are just wasting your oxygen.

At least, that is the way I am seeing it. I might well be wrong, sure.

All that said, the detail is fantastic. However, it would be nice if the pilot took off his mask for himself while on the ground, when the aircraft is all shut down, or there was a key command for <Wear / Remove Mask>. :)

Edited by OneFatBird

anyway, if I turn Oxygen on the proper way but flip off my cockpit glass there is no oxygen failure happening...not even at 10k angels.

The Oxygen system should check if the canopy is present or not.

Maybe I am mislead with the way it is handled, but the Pilot does not wear a mask so I assume their is no mask that would help him breath or is the mask just not drawn but only calculated/considered present ?!

Bit

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

it's a -50°C environment too, if he doesnt die for lack of breathable air he will for sure freeze to a concrete block in his seat in less than 90 seconds, given the speed and wind chill...?

Bit

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X