Valve/HTC Vive Discussion

Python

Completely agree, almost everyone dose this anyway in their everyday life to some extent. Typing is one example, HOTAS throttle and stick, another is your car radio, changing channels, volume etc, while never looking at it, you just know where it's at, your car window switches another. Your bedroom light switch in the middle of the night after too much too drink...OK, bad example...

anyway you should get the drift..

By nature, we humans are actually fairly adaptive...

Good points.

You left out the biggest one, our tendency to close our eyes if the room goes dark and navigate said room with them closed without bumping into the walls. Instinctive human trait.

This was a Boutique Builder iBuypower rig. Until I got the tinker bug again i7 920 @3.6Mhz 12Gig Corsair XMS3 ram 1600 Nvidia 760 SLi w/4Gig DDR5 Ram Intel 310 SSD HDD 160 Gb + Western Digital 4Terabyte HDD Creative SB X-Fi HD Audio Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speaker System Dual Acer 32"Monitors. PSU 1200 w Thermaltake Win10 64Bit.

Check out the Playstation VR system too. That looked good at EGX, but was set up in a blacked out room. No technical info was divulged, or release date and price range is also still to be announced.

It looks a real contender, especially as it is being promoted by Nvidia.

You'd have to argue that it's only really a contender if it's PC compatible, surely?

Which is as likely as me getting a Vive next week.

Slip the surly bonds of Earth

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Core i7 2600k@4.5||Z77 Extreme 6||16GB RAM

WIN 10||HTC Vive ||G940||1080Ti

• 3 weeks later...
While we're still waiting...

Fixed.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I hope DCS will support it! All indications I've read so far seem to suggest the Vive is a better overall experience than the Rift.

I am definitely going to pick up a Vive and am only only optionally planning on the Rift. Reports of better motion tracking, reduced eye strain and negligible motion sickness are convincing!

I'd really love an official word from ED about support plans. We are all going to need to make VR purchase decisions before too long and of course DCS is at the top of my most desired VR games!

ED, can we please get some Vive support intentions... please? Thanks!

3570K w/ 16GB, 1070 w/ 8GB @ 1440p, VKB Gunfighter/MCG-Pro & T-Rudder Mk.IV, CH ProThrottle, TrackIR 5, HTC Vive, UniversRadio, VoiceAttack, TacView Pro, DCS Menu Nav

F/A-18C, F-5E, F-86F, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Ka-50, SA342, P-51D, Spitfire Mk.IX, Bf109, Fw190, FC3, CA, Persian Gulf, NTTR, Normandy, WW2 Assets

I hope DCS will support it! All indications I've read so far seem to suggest the Vive is a better overall experience than the Rift.

I am definitely going to pick up a Vive and am only only optionally planning on the Rift. Reports of better motion tracking, reduced eye strain and negligible motion sickness are convincing!

I'd really love an official word from ED about support plans. We are all going to need to make VR purchase decisions before too long and of course DCS is at the top of my most desired VR games!

Your best bet is to keep a look on this thread and the official news section. If there are any news, it will be posted there.

At the moment, this is all we know:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2417071&postcount=89

Merging Threads

Early reports from DCS suggest that Vive support is doable, but no word if they have the time to do it.

We have to very careful when a reviewer suggests that one unit is better than the other. Not one review compares the consumer versions of these headsets. There are no consumer versions out yet to compare. All the reviews are just comparing prototypes, some even comparing one companies latest prototype to another companies early prototype. There is a lot of misinformation out there, so I would take most reviews with a grain of salt. We should have much better info in late Oct/Nov if in-fact Vive is still going to release some consumer units this year. You can bet that Oculus will release their final specs the moment Vive does. Then we can make a far more informed decision on which hardware would best suit our needs. Both companies have kept their final specs/content/price very close to their chest.

Oculus is just now reviewing the consumer versions coming off their assembly lines to see if any tweaks have to be done before full scale production starts. No word yet from HTC Vive, but they must have consumer version coming off their assembly lines aswell if they hope to release some units this year. I think Vive will have a major announcement around Oct 20th. Good times ahead.

Both companies use different tracking methods, and one might be slightly more precise than the other, but most users haven't noticed any difference in latencies. Oculus has suggested they tried all solution, and went with the camera option because it was easier to track full body movement, and facial expressions. Personally I will be using VR primarily in flight sim situations, where tracking has few if any occlusion situations. It also should be much cheaper than the Vive as I will only need to buy the Rift version with one camera and no inputs. That said I will probably buy the Vive and all versions of the Rift.

I have the DK2, but its not a very good experience because its impossible to setup my particular IPD, and it effects all aspects of the overall headset. Consequently any review I would give would be skewed. Thankfully both companies will have physical IPD adjustments on their consumer version

Edited by Chivas

Thanks to all for the info (and links to it).

I guess we'll just have to be patient but I do hope we get a bit more concrete news before we early adopters need to make a decision and plunk down some cash for a HMD.

I'd be surprised if they weren't able (or don't want) to support both the Vive and Rift. Likely it's more a matter of "when" than "if".

Regardless, I hope that each platform will get developer attention based on their merits rather than exclusivity/favoritism tied to monetary incentives. A terrible practice which is already far to prevalent IMHO.

Bring on the VR!

3570K w/ 16GB, 1070 w/ 8GB @ 1440p, VKB Gunfighter/MCG-Pro & T-Rudder Mk.IV, CH ProThrottle, TrackIR 5, HTC Vive, UniversRadio, VoiceAttack, TacView Pro, DCS Menu Nav

F/A-18C, F-5E, F-86F, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Ka-50, SA342, P-51D, Spitfire Mk.IX, Bf109, Fw190, FC3, CA, Persian Gulf, NTTR, Normandy, WW2 Assets

imagine standing in a DCS fully detailed control center of a U-Boat
I wouldn't be surprised if ED has playable ship modules somewhere on the to do list, and I would definitely want the ability to walk around the bridge of my ship. I don't have enough floor space to do that with a Vive in anything larger than a response boat, but it would still be cool.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I could easily think of a hundred differing ways, but, one of my first thoughts was Combined Arms ... Imagine a Tactical Operation Center (TOC) that is 5 x 5 meters, with a 3 x 3 meter map table in the middle of it.

A great DCS focused report. :thumbup:

I agree that VR gives CA so much more potential. This was even my thought when using the Rift. I have always had my Rift Camera on a tripod instead of sitting on my monitor so I have always been trying to make work in roomscale even though ... it's not very suited to that.

I am working on some DCS mods for CA that should make for good VR experiences. One thing holding me back at the moment is working out how to make the CA HUD system do what I want it to do. I haven't gotten a Kneeboard or Cargo Cam type surface working yet and those are things that need to work to make the VR experience happen with CA.

If anyone has gotten these things to work .. PM me.

I don't have enough floor space to do that with a Vive in anything larger than a response boat, ...

Perhaps not, but you might be all set for a good submarine simulation. :D

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

OK, I got to try out the HTC Vive demo.

So, is the hype for real? Oh yes!

Is the Vive a game changer? Absolutely!

Is it perfect? Well, no..

Rather than describe the HTC Vive demo's which has already been done better than I ever could by many others, I'd like to give my personal opinions and views of the Vive as I saw it, geared toward DCS World, as this is the DCS forums.

First, I'd like to expound on three of the tough and controversial topics which I've read about on these forums and other places, which are, 1) the Rift vs. the Vive, 2) resolution, and 3) cost.

Rift vs Vive, there's just no way to sugar coat this, as far as we know the Rift and Vive are two similar products except for one major philosophical difference, and that's the seated or constrained tracking vs room scale tracking experience. Simply put, after this demo, virtual reality in NOT meant to be a seated or constrained experience, virtual reality is meant to be dynamic, fluid, and in full motion, and that's with your whole body. Sorry OR, but you got this one wrong, major wrong.

Some have wrote, that 3 x 3 meters is maybe too much space, but during the demo, in the back of my mind, I kept thinking, wow, need more space, must have more space!!

My living room is 14 x 20 feet (4.3 x 6.1 meters) and it would make an absolutely perfect VR room, but as my Misses isn't gonna let me re-decor the living room with nothing in it but a couple of disco lasers in the ceiling corners (I tried, even said it'd make an wonderful dance floor), I'm going to throw an air-conditioner into the garage, 19 x 20 feet (5.8 x 6.1 meters) and I would love to use every cubic inch of it!

But, what would room scale ever do for DCS World? Read on a little farther...

Resolution, is everything in a high fidelity air combat simulation such as DCS world for many, and the best I can say from the demo's experience is, it's adequate.

Problem with the demo is, it went too fast, so just didn't have time to really study the "text". "I think" we should be able to read the small print on the HUD's, placards, and instrument panels with no problems, but, as for the P/N and S/N on the back of your P-51's altimeter, not gonna happen.

And as far as target tracking goes, all the young super pilots that can spot that camouflaged VW Beetle hidden in the tree lines from 20 miles out, ain't gonna happen, but, the good news is for us more mature, wiser pilots who have some difficulty finding the Hindenburg from 10 miles out, well, it level's the playing field somewhat.

And then there's the Cost and Hardware. In my opinion, the Vive is going to be a premium product, at a premium price, and will require premium hardware. I'm talking the kind of hardware that dims your neighborhood's streetlights when you boot it up. It's one thing to go through a Aperture Science demo with a robot with a few moving parts, and quite another thing in a couple years from now when your stepping onto Omaha Beach the morning of June 6th, 1944. If your hardware's not up to it, you'll be just as green on the inside and outside as those G.I.'s really were. If whatever you build for the Vive today is adequate, in 24 months from now, it's not going to be. You will really need to think this one through. For those on a really tight budget, but really want good VR, then the Rift maybe the best choice. But for those who can work a little extra (OK, a lot) of overtime, I'd go with the Vive.

So, how could room scale ever fit in with DCS world?

I could easily think of a hundred differing ways, but, one of my first thoughts was Combined Arms, and I'd be surprised if Mr. Wagner or Chizh hasn't already thought of this, and hoping I'm not letting a cat out of the bag.

Imagine a Tactical Operation Center (TOC) that is 5 x 5 meters, with a 3 x 3 meter map table in the middle of it. On the map table is displayed a 3Dimensional map, it could be displayed as a topographical map view, satellite map view, tactical view or any combination. You could touch an object or unit to bring up information on it, or a view of it, grab and move this information to one of the TOC perimeter walls. Or you could touch a spot on the map, and in an instant be standing in that place with binoculars in hand, and the TOC could be placed anywhere on the map we choose, in a tent, or in a building.

In essence, only our imagination (and budget) is the limit.

Another concept for example, should ED ever think it wise, is imagine standing in a DCS fully detailed control center of a U-Boat while being depth charged, or imagine the experience of watching a beautiful sunrise on the deck of the U.S.S. Arizona the morning of December 7th, 1941.

Truly only our imagination is going to be the limit to this technology.

I think Oculus got it right. I will be able to buy a Rift much cheaper, as I won't need the Wands, or two Tracking units for flight/racing sims etc. If I want to have full room movement I can buy the Touch units, and extra Tracking unit later.

Not sure why people keep suggesting that the Rift is only a seated experience. I found it funny that Vive also has the same problem having to continually stress at shows, that they can do sitting as well as standing. Oculus has been showing standing and movement long before we even new Vive was going to sell an HMD. They weren't stressing that option because there was the obvious safety issues moving around blind, few people would have the room, and the fact there was little software being created for that kind of movement at the time.

OK, I got to try out the HTC Vive demo.

So, is the hype for real? Oh yes!

Thanks for the report DE! Nice to hear a DCS-centric opinion that confirms what many others have reported around the interwebs.

This reinforces my decision to definitely grab the Vive and only more optionally consider the Rift. Here's hoping DCS will have support for both ready by their respective launches.

• 2 weeks later...

As much as I am interested in all the possibilities of VR I am a bit fixated on DCS interoperability.

If I was going to be shown a demo I would really want it to be DCS related. I hope Vive outreach is making it all the way to Russia and that Vive support is being baked into DCS 2.0 with lots of love.

DCS World is now working in Vive and we are currently testing the VR game controllers for cockpit interaction.

FANTASTIC!

DCS World is now working in Vive and we are currently testing the VR game controllers for cockpit interaction.

Its awesome that DCS appears to be effectively implementing the HTC Vive headset. I may be able to fly DCS this year with a consumer version headset, but there are still a lot of unanswered questions about final specs of either unit Even if the specs are comparable it may be difficult to procure the Vive even if they manage the proposed "limited" release this year. Now that DCS is working with HTC, and Oculus, it would sure help to find out which unit the developers preferred but its unlikely they will suggest one way or the other anytime soon. sad.gif We don't even know it they have access to later prototypes than the DK2

MASSIVE NEWS - I've decided to be a Day Zero Vive Owner.

There could be few other people who have decided the same. :(

And that will make it difficult/unlikely to get one from the first batch.

Win10, i5 3570K@4GHz, OCZ Vertex 4 256GB SSD, 16GB RAM, Gigabyte GTX 980, TM HOTAS Warthog, TM Cougar MFD, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder, TrackIR5

There could be few other people who have decided the same. :(

And that will make it difficult/unlikely to get one from the first batch.

I'm surprised at how many people in this and other forums have decided to buy one over the other, when nobody knows the final specs, content, and price of either one yet.

I'm surprised at how many people in this and other forums have decided to buy one over the other, when nobody knows the final specs, content, and price of either one yet.

Indeed. Ignorant consumer practises and hype can really drive sales in this day and age, and don't even get me started on pre-orders, where people throw money at things that don't yet exists. How hard is it to just wait until the product is finished and then read some unbiased reviews before making a properly informed decision?

Most of the specs are known at this point. Price is still TBD, but I'm guessing people have a range that's acceptable to them. And "saying" one will buy doesn't mean that they will. And some folks just want it sooner rather than later. The same folks who wait in line at 10PM for a phone release in the morning. To each his own - doesn't bother me in the least, if I'm honest.

hsb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Most of the specs are known at this point.

We know the resolution of the displays, the approximate field of view and roughly how the head tracking systems work for both the Vive and the Rift. This is not nearly enough for me. I understand that when it comes to VR there will be a lot more than just tech specs that goes into making a decision. Tech specs can't tell you how comfortable a certain headset is. It can't tell you how durable it is. Opinions from people who review several headsets will be able to tell you however. We will see a lot of such reviews when both the Vive and Rift has hit the market.

By the way, price of the Rift will be 350-400USD if you didn't know. That includes an xbone-controller with a wireless adapter which I find kinda silly because many people already have one. I would rather not have that, and pay slightly less instead.

Edited by Brisse