Valve/HTC Vive Discussion

Python

I still think HoloLens may be the best option for full pit builders. *IF* it can deliver half the things shown in the demos at resolution with proper FPS. Not like I'm asking much, am I?

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

http://oculusrift-blog.com/allthingsd-speaks-palmer-nate-d11/1616/

" If something’s even $600, it doesn’t matter how good it is, how great of an experience it is — if they just can’t afford it, then it really might as well not exist. We’re going for the mainstream, but time will tell what the market is. "

-Palmer Luckey June 2013

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

| Mi-8MTV2 | MiG-21 | M-2000C | F-86F | P-51D | BS2 | UH-1H | FC3 | CA 1.5 | A-10C |

i7 2700k --EVGA GTX970 --16Gb RAM --Seiki 39" 4K --Saitek X-55 Rhino --Saitek Pro Flight Pedals --TrackIR 5 --Win10 x64

HTC Vive review (hands-on): HTC’s headset is still the king of virtual reality

http://www.alphr.com/htc/1001486/htc-vive-review-hands-on-htc-s-headset-is-still-the-king-of-virtual-reality

Just another review comparing the latest Vive HMD prototype to an old DK2 Oculus prototypes.

I suggest you wait for reviews comparing the CV1, and HTC PRE, even that wouldn't be relevant review, as the HTC PRE is still a prototype without audio, and the CV1 without Touch.

HOTAS is totally different, you have no switches off the HOTAS. I understand now why you don't get it. And no modern fighter pilots are not "easily" trained to find all the switches without seeing them. There are hundreds. That is why they have flashlights. IMO Vive is a better option for pits. Too bad Oculus didn't think of it. Those who have tried the new Vive say it is brilliant and no immersion killer.

There are switches and rotaries on my Stick, Throttle, and another Triple throttle setup with switches. My right hand usually stays on the stick, and move my left hand to the three different switch banks on the three inputs. In a cockpit you just have more banks of inputs, each could easily have a landmark lever/rotary, to make the switch you want easier to find.

In your case you would probably move your left hand to all switches and lever/rotary banks on the front/left of the cockpit, and your right hand to all the switch, levers on the front/right of the cockpit.

If your cockpit is built correctly, I doubt very much that all your switches are located in one spot, where it might be difficult to differentiate one from the other. The switches are usually dispersed in the levers, and dials, where you know the switch you want is two over from that particular dial, lever. It would be relatively easy to learn to move your hand to a landmark in each bank of switches/levers/rotaries and find the correct one, quicker than

moving your hand up to your HMD to engage the see through camera.

There are still questions on the quality of the see thru camera. So far its been suggested that people and chairs are just shadowy images, and you can read your watch if you bring it up close to your face. So that would suggest you'd have to aggressively lean into the cockpit to actually see the switch, and read the gauge. Also how accurate is the relationship between where you see the switch in the camera and to where it actually is. You'd still probably have to use some muscle memory, and feel. Still a lot of unanswered questions. Hopefully the camera will be clearer for you, than what it appears to be in initial reports.

"We want to stay in that $200-$400 price range," -Palmer Luckey

Luckey says a lot of things. Some not true.

As the Rift development progressed Luckey later said the Rift would be more than 399, which is true. Certainly not as much as I thought, but still true. But we can also count on you to quote old news if it suits your agenda.

As the Rift development progressed Luckey later said the Rift would be more than 399, which is true.

That certainly IS true.

Thus why no one in their right mind will be buying one. :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

| Mi-8MTV2 | MiG-21 | M-2000C | F-86F | P-51D | BS2 | UH-1H | FC3 | CA 1.5 | A-10C |

i7 2700k --EVGA GTX970 --16Gb RAM --Seiki 39" 4K --Saitek X-55 Rhino --Saitek Pro Flight Pedals --TrackIR 5 --Win10 x64

Good lord, are we starting this up *again*?

And how can a product that doesn't even exist overtake a product that hasn't shipped yet? Let's just say that both have a market, happy for the competition and leave it at that. Why do people get so religious about a piece of gaming gear??

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

As a complete newcomer to this thread but have long had a interest in the VR application to flight sims I have to say I was encouraged by the news of the front facing camera.

From my perspective I've struggled with the thought of using a VR and my HOTAS, series of switches and keyboard. Yes, HOTAS isn't a issue as it's a memory thing, but the keyboard and switches are a different story. I don't want or intend to have a home cockpit so having the option to see my other input controls is good news.

Now without actually seeing how it works (or the options around it operation) it's difficult to know how it will work IRL. However, what I'm hoping for is: a button to switch this on or off as well as variable opacity control so that control it to the level I personally need.

Laughed my cotton socks off just now, when I visited the BBC 'Tech' news section.

Not a single word on the Rift - instead, their main story is a load of hype about the Playstation VR and how it has attracted the big publishing names and will have over 100 VR games on release!

Just about sums them up. Tomorrow they will probably announce the release of the Steam Controller... :doh:

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Both products will offer great things, so far they seem pretty similar with everything I can find about them but time will tell. I bought on the pre-order of the OR, shipping in March. I'll do an honest review of it.

We are all pioneers in this and things will start happening fast. Technology has always been on an exponential growth curve and hate to say it because I love mine and spend a good chunk of money in it, but sim pits will be a moot point in 5 years. Developers and consumers will not stop at VR goggles and great immersion. The next thing is already in the books with the touch. That will translate into hand tracking in game where you move your real hand which moves your in game hand to whatever button or switch you need and allows you to press, push, whatever. After that they will implement feedback sensors and then you will actually feel the button, switch, whatever.

Who knows how far VR will be in 2020 and 2025, we went from Nokia cell phones playing snake in 2003 to smartphones billions of times more powerful than the Apollo command modules in 10 years.

Early tech is always $$ and will eventually trickle down, just look at the prices of 4k TVs when they first came out to now.

Great video on Vive pre from Tested.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

Doesn't look like the huge breakthrough is all that great. The camera gives incorrect depth cues which won't be good for augmented reality use. Perhaps the release version will improve on it.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

Front-facing cam? Maybe great for DCS. So, you will be able to glance at keybards and cockpit switches. Wow, can't wait for first usability reports in regards to DCS. :punk::crash:

Windows 10, I7 8700k@5,15GHz, 32GB Ram, GTX1080, HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift CV1, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] ЯБоГ32_Принз

Front-facing cam? Maybe great for DCS. So, you will be able to glance at keybards and cockpit switches. Wow, can't wait for first usability reports in regards to DCS. :punk::crash:

I doubt it will work well for that. The camera is unable to give you any depth perception, so even if you see your keyboard, you will have trouble hitting the intended keys.

I doubt it will work well for that. The camera is unable to give you any depth perception, so even if you see your keyboard, you will have trouble hitting the intended keys.

People will get used to it. It's not like you're trying to hit a 100MPH fast ball with the camera. When we wore NVGs in the Army, it lacked depth perception as well. So people could easily mistake a 1M drop with a 10CM drop. But you get used to it and your brain will know what to do.

I myself like peaking out of the bottom of my goggles. But who knows, maybe I'll prefer the small screen/camera. I'll keep an open mind.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Great post on Lighthouse tech for those unfamiliar :

1 lighthouse stations are passive

2 The lighthouse boxes send out (for humans invisible infrared) light signals which then the vive's IR-diodes can see.

Is my understanding of passive.......wrong?

1 lighthouse stations are passive

2 The lighthouse boxes send out (for humans invisible infrared) light signals which then the vive's IR-diodes can see.

They are active in the sense they emit stuff and do not receive anything within the the process (and the headset is the passive part, that receives light).

They would better be qualified as "dumb" rather than "passive" in the sense that they don't compute or exchange data with the PC.

That's a wrong choice of word IMO.

Edited by PiedDroit

They would better be qualified as "dumb" rather than "passive" in the sense that they don't compute or exchange data with the PC.

That's a wrong choice of word IMO.

You're right, that is a much better way of putting it.

I kinda glanced over that point when I read it.

You guys don't miss a beat! :D

Slip the surly bonds of Earth

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Core i7 2600k@4.5||Z77 Extreme 6||16GB RAM

WIN 10||HTC Vive ||G940||1080Ti

Stuff like this makes me want to build a portable rig. Even for sims, having the ability to strap your pc, say to the back of your chair, would do wondrous things to remove the cable issue.

How you keep your componentry (thinking desktop-level gear) safe tough...

Slip the surly bonds of Earth

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Core i7 2600k@4.5||Z77 Extreme 6||16GB RAM

WIN 10||HTC Vive ||G940||1080Ti

• ED Team

HTC Vive pre-orders to start on February 29

Pre-orders for HTC's virtual reality headset Vive will open on February 29, boss Cher Wang confirms

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/12092607/HTC-Vive-pre-orders-to-start-on-February-29.html

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2