Valve/HTC Vive Discussion

Python

Ah, thanks. I'll order that as well. And keep the one I like better for DCS.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

With Vives current cash flow problems, and smartphone sale problems, they say they are going to concentrate more on VR. It also appears that Vive could be bought out in the near future by companies like ASUS. This could be very good for the Vive headset.

Vive is still saying they will begin preorders in February, and ship in April, but there are a lot of alarm bells. Even features like Audio haven't been added yet to any prototypes. I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting for the Vive to ship. That said people ordering the Rift now have to wait until June, but I wouldn't be surprised if Vive slips past that.

Foveated rendering + eye tracking!

Gen2, I guess.

My goodness... They need to incorporate this SOON.

I bet Oculus and HTC/Valve are going to be fighting over SMI soon. Who ever gets them first will very likely win this "console war".

That is unless either company can reverse-engineer their own system.

[ame]

[/ame]
Edited by spacenavy90

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

| Mi-8MTV2 | MiG-21 | M-2000C | F-86F | P-51D | BS2 | UH-1H | FC3 | CA 1.5 | A-10C |

i7 2700k --EVGA GTX970 --16Gb RAM --Seiki 39" 4K --Saitek X-55 Rhino --Saitek Pro Flight Pedals --TrackIR 5 --Win10 x64

Things are certainly looking up! *IF* they can keep up with the speed of the human eye for the HD zone, it would be awesome for cockpit use of VR!!

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Things are certainly looking up! *IF* they can keep up with the speed of the human eye for the HD zone, it would be awesome for cockpit use of VR!!

Unfortunately this will only really benefit frames per second. For flight sims, it's thebpixel density that will bone you, and that's a pure hardware problem.

The tracking would need to be stupidly low latency too as you've alluded to.

Slip the surly bonds of Earth

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Core i7 2600k@4.5||Z77 Extreme 6||16GB RAM

WIN 10||HTC Vive ||G940||1080Ti

Unfortunately this will only really benefit frames per second. For flight sims, it's thebpixel density that will bone you, and that's a pure hardware problem.

The tracking would need to be stupidly low latency too as you've alluded to.

Well, with the benefit of lower average FPS on games, means they can increase the screen size. Someone mentioned that 4k each eye would be doable on high-end cards in the next few years with foveated rendering.

But agreed on the eye-tracking latency. But I don't doubt they would get it working eventually.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

| Mi-8MTV2 | MiG-21 | M-2000C | F-86F | P-51D | BS2 | UH-1H | FC3 | CA 1.5 | A-10C |

i7 2700k --EVGA GTX970 --16Gb RAM --Seiki 39" 4K --Saitek X-55 Rhino --Saitek Pro Flight Pedals --TrackIR 5 --Win10 x64

I can foresee many VR headsets that people will buy/upgrade in the future, and probably I will too. Ah well...

The price we pay for being at the cutting-edge.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I really don't mind waiting a coupla-three years. I've only recently splashed out on 3 new monitors, so I'm quite happy for now - there's just no way I wouldn't lose a ton of cash if I sold them and bought a VR headset instead.

My only worry is my age and the fact that my illness will only get worse, so I hope I can afford it before I am unable to use it :)

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

I'm not one bit surprised by that news. I predicted $1200 for the Vive months ago and that was before the $600 rift price tag.

Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k delid @ 5.1gHz | 32Gb 3466mhz TridentZ memory | Asus ROG Apex motherboard | Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti overclocked

Komodosim Cyclic | C-tek anti torque pedals and collective | Warthog stick and throttle | Oculus Rift CV1 | KW-908 Jetseat | Buttkicker with Simshaker for Aviators

RiftFlyer VR G-Seat project: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2733051#post2733051

Valve will really shoot themselves in the foot if they pull an Oculus and double their price for about the same product.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wow..$1500! I was shooting for $1000 to $1200. Geesh. this one may require CFO approval.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Sounds like clickbait. If we knew the price of the Vive, we wouldn't stop hearing about it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Rumour has it that that article was click-bait. Or maybe that's just my denial talking.

Looks likely, a few factual errors make it look like it was written in a hurry. eg. "The Oculus Rift, which has investment from Google, has started pre-order sales with a price tag of US$599."

PC:

6600K @ 4.5 GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 970, 32" 2K monitor.

Click bait indeed. Afaik the only official word there has beenabout the Vive pricing is from Ryan Hoopingarner, director of VR product marketing at HTC that said “We feel like [customers will] be happy with the investment they’ve made in the Vive.” when asked about the just announced USD600 price tag.

It could mean anything of course, but that's all there is thus far. I think there's a rather huge and easy marketing move from HTC/Vive and that is to sell their VR system around the same price as the OR.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I hadn't seen this one before - but I say the more the merrier!

Might have been posted - if so, apologies - as I said, I hadn't seen this one before, though I do vaguely remember reading of Razer in connection with VR.

I don't care if they are behind the Vive or Rift at the moment - if they keep going, at some point they or the competition will be close enough for the mainstream.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

The Oculus was speculated to be $350 so maybe we should hold off on speculation until they actually announce it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The next event in the impatiently frustrating wait :furious: for the HTC Vive is the "Steam VR Content Showcase" on January 28th. Off course, HTC and Valve are keeping it locked up as to what all we may see for the HTC Vive's content.

But, I'm putting my 2 cent bet on the notion that one of the 3rd party application which will be announced and shown off at the Steam VR showcase will be DCS World.

Mr. Wagner has previously stated the Eagle Dynamics team has DCS world working with the HTC vive, but of course this function is not available to us yet, but then again, neither is the Vive.

Another similar application that I've got a sneaking gut suspicion we just might see announced at the Steam VR Content Showcase is the new IL-2 Sturmovik. At the least it wouldn't surprise me.

What are your thought?

It would be good to hear something from ED regarding the Vive at some point (yeah, hopefully at the showcase). It's been a long while since much info has been delivered regarding its integration.

I guess it's fair to say that no news is not necessarily bad news, and things are just moving along fine.

Edited by S3NTRY11

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It would be good to hear something from ED regarding the Vive at some point (yeah, hopefully at the showcase). It's been a long while since much info has been delivered regarding its integration.

I guess it's fair to say that no news is not necessarily bad news, and things are just moving along fine.

I just don't think there is really anything to report. I mean no one can use it except devs right now so there would be little point to it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I just don't think there is really anything to report. I mean no one can use it except devs right now so there would be little point to it.

Things they could report:

1.Progress on integration

2.Integration of Vive controllers, if at all

3.Fidelity of objects and gauges (though this may be a little too subjective, it would be good to get some indication)

4.General performance

There are things they could report, the one big thing preventing it would be NDA, but that shouldn't prevent all of those things being reported.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]