Valve/HTC Vive Discussion

Python

For $800 I will take my free Rift instead and wait to see what the gen 2 units are like. :)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

i did not pre-order.. but i cant wait to see all the youtube videos of vive + DCS!!!!!

It's quite easy to check the feeling on your own. Buy cheap Google Cardboard 2.0 and watch a vid like this on the youtube, full screen on the phone:

[ame]

[/ame]

I was pretty convinced already but vids like these made me preorder.

It's outrageous - and I want one! If I had the money I would order the Vive right now.

I even just started going through the mountains of old kit I have and listing it for sale on ebay! :)

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Not going to bother with the rift or vive until they has some sort of diopter adjustment for those of us that wear glasses.

Camera viewfinders have had this "tech" available for over 30 years so it can't be that hard or expensive to implement surely.

So diopter adjustment and 120 deg fov then I'll part with my money. 2nd or 3rd gen maybe :(

---------------

MSI GD65 Gaming | i7 4770k Haswell @ 4.7ghz, | H110 water cooler | 32Gb ddr3 | Sound Blaster Zx | MSI GTX 1080Ti | 1x 250Gb SSD's + 2x 500Gb SSD |

Acer Predator 34" (3440x1440) | TrackiR 5 + UTC Light | Win 10 Pro 64bit | 2x Thrustmaster MFD's | MFG Crosswinds (ordered) | Thrustmaster Warthog :smartass:

--------------------

Not going to bother with the rift or vive until they has some sort of diopter adjustment for those of us that wear glasses.

Camera viewfinders have had this "tech" available for over 30 years so it can't be that hard or expensive to implement surely.

So diopter adjustment and 120 deg fov then I'll part with my money. 2nd or 3rd gen maybe :(

I know the pain, I've been wearing glasses for almost all my life, but few years ago I've switched to the contact lenses, and haven't looked back.

I know the pain, I've been wearing glasses for almost all my life, but few years ago I've switched to the contact lenses, and haven't looked back.

You're lucky - some of us can't wear contact lenses :(

If I could, I'd have switched years ago.

Just got my new varifocals on Saturday and guess what - they cost as much as a Rift! So guess what I've been in a sour mood about since.... :cry:

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

You're lucky - some of us can't wear contact lenses :(

If I could, I'd have switched years ago.

Just got my new varifocals on Saturday and guess what - they cost as much as a Rift! So guess what I've been in a sour mood about since.... :cry:

:(

980ti works great for me in surround pushing 6.2 million pixels. All my settings are pretty well maxed with 50-100fps depending on location. Heart of Vegas never drops below 50fps for me. I don't think the rift will come anywhere close to that many pixels so it should run great.

Not in Rift, you won't. Again some may not feel the judder when the FPS dips below 75 (x2, one per eye) but most notice immediately. So what's perfectly fine for monitors simply will not do in VR.

Also, ED has to do the optimization work for VR, so it's not just all raw specs.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

According to a post on the r/SteamVR Valve has added SLI VR support in an update to their test app.

As far as I know this is the very first app to actually support VR SLI of any kind.

Anyone with a SLI rig wanna try the updated test? You need to run with --multigpu

Links - Reddit thread | Test Screenshots

fXbkAOy.png

LtgqfNL.png

Edited by vicx

Not in Rift, you won't. Again some may not feel the judder when the FPS dips below 75 (x2, one per eye) but most notice immediately. So what's perfectly fine for monitors simply will not do in VR.

Also, ED has to do the optimization work for VR, so it's not just all raw specs.

Well my point was if I get 50fps now in the heaviest part of Vegas with mostly max settings and the rift has less than HALF the pixel requirements that my surround setup has then it stands to reason that 50fps should easily be 75fps with the rift. Throw in timewarp optimizations and I have very high hopes that a 980ti will easily power through anything a Rift will ask of it. A 970 and I would have some concerns but a 980ti will chew through a Rift assuming the devs do a remotely adequate job of supporting it. The only variable there is imo is with nvidia's lousy driver support...

ROTORCRAFT RULE

GB Aorus Ultra Z390| 8700K @ 4.9GHz | 32 GB DDR4 3000 | MSI GTX 1080ti | Corsair 1000HX | Silverstone FT02-WRI | Nvidia 3D Vision Surround | Windows 10 Professional X64

Volair Sim Cockpit, Rift S, Saitek X-55 HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Microsoft FF2, OE-XAM Bell 206 Collective, C-Tek anti-torque pedals

UH-1, SA342, Mi-8, KA50, AV8B, P-51D, A-10C, L39, F86, Yak, NS-430, Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf

You would think so, but it's not the case. We have similar computers and I cannot get *close* to 75FPS in DCS 2.0. Again, probably not because of hardware limitation but because Rift is not fully optimized. There's no timewarp for example.

1.5 is the only version that's even close to staying at 75FPS and even that dips below from time to time. And CV1 has higher resolution that DK2. So here's to hoping that ED's optimization for VR happens quickly!

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I have very high hopes that a 980ti will easily power through anything a Rift will ask of it.

Dude ... Everyone thinks they got a pimp rig until they try playing DCS in VR.

Does anyone with a DK2 and a pimp rig disagree with that statement? :)

---

In all SRSNS maybe it isn't the rig ... VR will require a lot of optimisation and it is likely that ED have a long way to go with that task.

Edited by vicx

ships in the night...vicx! ships in the night! We posted the same thing at the same time! LOL

I *do* have a tricked out rig...I can't buy a faster processor nor faster video card. And it still sucks with DCS 2.0 Let's hope its the optimization (lack of) rather than the HW itself.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

It's quite easy to check the feeling on your own. Buy cheap Google Cardboard 2.0 and watch a vid like this on the youtube, full screen on the phone:

I was pretty convinced already but vids like these made me preorder.

i have seen tons of oculus dk2 and DCS videos.

WHAT I LIKE TO SEE ARE CV1 or VIVE and DCS videos... and the impressions.

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

My 'pimp' rig, basic specs, 980ti, cpu @4.5, 32gb ram, only SSD. Nope, doest run DCS well enough.

Timewarp will help . It certainly helps with flyinside but there is one difference between FSX and DCS which I havent tried in FSX with timewarp. That is the additional situational awareness required in DCS, the more constant and fast head movements that may not make timewarp as ideal in DCS as it is in FSX, due to the nature of how timewarp works.

Speculation though, it might not make any difference.

i have seen tons of oculus dk2 and DCS videos.

WHAT I LIKE TO SEE ARE CV1 or VIVE and DCS videos... and the impressions.

Unfortunately YouTube videos don't show what the HMD viewer is actually seeing. For instance DK2 videos showed far better resolution than people were actually seeing in the Rift. We also have to take everyone's opinion, including my own with a grain of salt. VR is something that has to be seen with the actual hardware to make a valid decision on its quality. You will have access to atleast the Rift at your local Bestbuys relatively soon to make your own opinion.

You will have access to atleast the Rift at your local Bestbuys relatively soon to make your own opinion.

I can't picture my local Best Buy even stocking them, in store, much less having one hooked up, unless it will work with a console. I don't think they care much about the PC Gamer marketplace anymore.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I can't picture my local Best Buy even stocking them, in store, much less having one hooked up, unless it will work with a console. I don't think they care much about the PC Gamer marketplace anymore.

Maybe your local Bestbuy won't, but it was announced quite sometime ago that the Rift will be shown a local Bestbuys. I even mentioned it too a Bestbuy employee, and he confirmed it was going to happen, but wouldn't state the actual date.

Maybe your local Bestbuy won't, but it was announced quite sometime ago that the Rift will be shown a local Bestbuys. I even mentioned it too a Bestbuy employee, and he confirmed it was going to happen, but wouldn't state the actual date.

I would love to see it, along with the specs for the machine they are running it with. :)

I would love to see it, along with the specs for the machine they are running it with. :)

You'd have to think the hardware and software demos would all be setup by Oculus. There is no way they would have the Rift demoed with less than optimal hardware/software.

NOT SIM RELATED

A "regular user" using the vive

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcAK83sRgbc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcAK83sRgbc[/ame]

---------------

MSI GD65 Gaming | i7 4770k Haswell @ 4.7ghz, | H110 water cooler | 32Gb ddr3 | Sound Blaster Zx | MSI GTX 1080Ti | 1x 250Gb SSD's + 2x 500Gb SSD |

Acer Predator 34" (3440x1440) | TrackiR 5 + UTC Light | Win 10 Pro 64bit | 2x Thrustmaster MFD's | MFG Crosswinds (ordered) | Thrustmaster Warthog :smartass:

--------------------