Valve/HTC Vive Discussion

Python

Nope, it's like my eyes have to focus in RL - which is realistic I guess. If I am looking at the instrument panel 40cm away I focused near - if I am looking at a target 400m away I am focused to infinity (like the HUD, target reticle). Most prominent in the WW2 fighters and the early jets. If look through the reticle near focused it will be doubled. I guess that's realistic.

Hi Guys,

my question is, does Vive work with the non-Steam version of DCS? I have the non steam version of the game with many modules and in a few days I'm going to try the Vive. But Im not sure I can launch the game without Steam.

What do you think?

I7 9700k, 1080ti, HP Reverb

Hi Guys,

my question is, does Vive work with the non-Steam version of DCS? I have the non steam version of the game with many modules and in a few days I'm going to try the Vive. But Im not sure I can launch the game without Steam.

What do you think?

You're going to want to use Steam anyway if you have a Vive, since 99% of the games for it are on Steam.

Yes, it works with the non-steam version of DCS. I'm not sure if you need steam running to use it though.

I'm considering placing an order on the HTC Vive, despite it's strength over the OR residing in its room scale experience I'll mostly use it seated for simming, and most of it being DCS. Is it as good in DCS as the OR?

Despite the same resolution I read the OR offered a tad better experience at reading text, thus better at reading HUDs and instruments. I know the resolution is far from enough yet for a perfect experience but is it useable to a point where you can spot targets, do missions effectively?

Edited by Vivoune

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It worked....my mistake was using the beta version...it works almost at 90 fps with the 1.5.3 version (not beta).

one question...on the a10, I activated the labels to better see the targets...but the red boxes does not allign with the targets...move around the screen but away from targets...any one knows why?

It worked....my mistake was using the beta version...it works almost at 90 fps with the 1.5.3 version (not beta).

one question...on the a10, I activated the labels to better see the targets...but the red boxes does not allign with the targets...move around the screen but away from targets...any one knows why?

Hang on, are you saying it works with the 1.5 but not with 2.0?

I thought 2.0's engine is superior.

I need to try this.

PC HW: i5 3770k@4.6GHz | Asus 1080Ti | 16GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO | MSI MPower Z77 Input: MS FFB2 w/ F-16 FLCS grip | CH Pro Throttle | MFG Crosswind | HTC Vive DCS modules: F-14, FW-190, P-51, Bf109, UH1, Mi-8, FC3, CE2

Well, I tried the stable release and it seems to be a little bit better.

It still feels like a very early, alpha support for VR.

The menu is tilted, you can't read the edges of the briefing and menus, and worst of all, there is an ugly, random stuttering when I look around the cockpit. I don't think it's performance related as 2 seconds later everything is smooth in the same spot.

I don't know... why is ED not talking about Vive support more?

PC HW: i5 3770k@4.6GHz | Asus 1080Ti | 16GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO | MSI MPower Z77 Input: MS FFB2 w/ F-16 FLCS grip | CH Pro Throttle | MFG Crosswind | HTC Vive DCS modules: F-14, FW-190, P-51, Bf109, UH1, Mi-8, FC3, CE2

That's interesting. I get a much more fluid experience in the 2.0 Alpha. The hickups (judders) are much less frequent. Whereas in 1.5.3 I get them every few seconds. (both a low settings).

Specs: i76700k, GTX970

That's interesting. I get a much more fluid experience in the 2.0 Alpha. The hickups (judders) are much less frequent. Whereas in 1.5.3 I get them every few seconds. (both a low settings).

Specs: i76700k, GTX970

I have both installed. Will do some further testing.

Is there an easy way to copy over control settings from one to the other? I only have the stable configured for now.

Update: I can't get 2.0 to go beyond 30fps (which is more like 22fps most of the time). I pretty much have everything turned to low, no MSAA, no nothing. Same settings give me the (reprojected) 45fps in the stable 99% of the time (if I look straight down at the runway, I might get 90fps).

Tried with and without SteamVR running, both beta and stable branches. No joy.

The whole thing is a joke, btw - in both cases, my CPU and GPU never go above 50% and 30% respectively.

Will proper VR support (or hardware optimization for that matter) ever be in focus?

EDIT: Forgot my specs: i5 3570k @ 4.2GHz OC, GTX 980Ti @ 1450MHz boost OC, 16GB RAM, SSD. Nothing else running in the background.

Update: I can't get 2.0 to go beyond 30fps (which is more like 22fps most of the time). I pretty much have everything turned to low, no MSAA, no nothing. Same settings give me the (reprojected) 45fps in the stable 99% of the time (if I look straight down at the runway, I might get 90fps).

Tried with and without SteamVR running, both beta and stable branches. No joy.

The whole thing is a joke, btw - in both cases, my CPU and GPU never go above 50% and 30% respectively.

Will proper VR support (or hardware optimization for that matter) ever be in focus?

EDIT: Forgot my specs: i5 3570k @ 4.2GHz OC, GTX 980Ti @ 1450MHz boost OC, 16GB RAM, SSD. Nothing else running in the background.

That's what I'm saying! And Mr. Wagner told us a month ago that we are going to have a great time with it. Should have added great time with slide show and nausea.:joystick:

Knowing ED for years now I think it's going to take them ages before they deliver a really smooth and enjoyable gameplay on at least medium setting. Sometime next year when Oculus release CV2.

I noticed yesterday that my GPU on DCS with surround was only at about 60% utilized on mostly high settings. I'm positive in regular surround that it was pegged at 99% before these last updates. I'll have to try 3D surround which I know will be pegged at 99%. My fps has dropped a lot with these latest updates too. My old 2600k has been offline for a few months and hasn't gotten any of these updates. I am going to fire it up this week and check gpu utilization. I'm starting to think that maybe these latest patches have decreased cpu and gpu utilization causing performance issues for people with higher end setups. Anyone else seeing this?

ROTORCRAFT RULE

GB Aorus Ultra Z390| 8700K @ 4.9GHz | 32 GB DDR4 3000 | MSI GTX 1080ti | Corsair 1000HX | Silverstone FT02-WRI | Nvidia 3D Vision Surround | Windows 10 Professional X64

Volair Sim Cockpit, Rift S, Saitek X-55 HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Microsoft FF2, OE-XAM Bell 206 Collective, C-Tek anti-torque pedals

UH-1, SA342, Mi-8, KA50, AV8B, P-51D, A-10C, L39, F86, Yak, NS-430, Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Hi,

I had some issues with Vive.

it works well out of the box, but:

1) some menus are clipped at the edge, it is not that its hard to see left and right, they just are too large to render on the vive display (I can' read the full sever names for mp)

2) does anyone know which graphics settings effect the vive? my display settings are still set for my 4k minotr but i know the vive is less resolution, so I think it is ignoring that one.

3) the hands for the controllers are oriented wrong [if the controller is pointed forward, then the hand is pointed in some other direction]. anyone know how to fix this?

thanks

I had the chance to borrow a work colleagues DK2 this past weekend.

Whilst very impressive, depth of field and immersion is amazing, the nuances were chromatic aberrations, focal point and resolution.

What's seemed like less than half a mile? Was very soft on resolution.

I'm thinking about ordering a Vive, and was curious with the resolution increase, how much better it is?

Current Flight Rig

i7 4960X @ 4.6Ghz

ASUS Rampage IV Formula

G.SKILL TridentX 2400Mhz 32GB DDR3

Crucial 1TB MX300 SSD

MSI Gaming X 1080Ti

Samsung 55" JS8000 SUHD 4K

Windows 10 x64

TrackIR 5, Warthog HOTAS

Saitek Pro Flight Combat Pedals

Custom Akers-Barnes, MkI eyeball.

QuickTip for Vive:

I was very disappointed by the image while using the Vive over the last day since I first set it up. Only the very center was clear. I had to turn my head and look directly at anything to see it at all clearly. I had the thicker padding on and I removed it and used only a thin piece of cloth I cut out in its place and it's a MILLION times better!!! I can't even explain how much better it is. The full screen is CLEAR! I can't even notice any blurring off center anymore! IT's absolutely amazing how much better it is. You have to try it and let me know what you think.

Also: remove as in the Video and wear the Vive, like a HMD 2nd gen i think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lUcshsGSaohttp://

Edited by montify

You can also adjust the Vive in or out (close or far) with the side locks (as I call them) You pull the lock out and you can move the Vive assemble horizontally on the head mounting assembly. This is helpful to adjust for corrective lenses if you wear them with the Vive.

Also a clean screen make a huge difference. Any little bit of smudge on the lenses can really blur the image.

Caution: Clean the lenses as per the directions. Read the blessed manual before you clean, or you can permanently damage the lenses easily!!

Thanks for the tip Montify. It seem HTC really did a poor job in term of setting it up, which I believe is the main reason there are many report of it being blurrier than it should be. Hopefully 3rd party straps and foam will be available at some point to make it easier and more consistent for those having issues, everyone's anatomy is unique.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You can also adjust the Vive in or out (close or far) with the side locks (as I call them) You pull the lock out and you can move the Vive assemble horizontally on the head mounting assembly. This is helpful to adjust for corrective lenses if you wear them with the Vive.

Also a clean screen make a huge difference. Any little bit of smudge on the lenses can really blur the image.

Caution: Clean the lenses as per the directions. Read the blessed manual before you clean, or you can permanently damage the lenses easily!!

Thats true, but without the padding you get more closer to the lens!

try it out ;)

Does anyone have any tips for text readability in the Vive? Or is this something that'll have to wait for the next generation of HMDs. I can't even read the HUD in the A10 or the ABRIS in the Black Shark.

Also, has anyone figured out what settings affect performance the most in VR. I've found mirrors are unfortunately very costly once again.

They have the vive demo at the Sydney Microsoft Store (for those that are in Sydney) - you get 10min of a couple of demo apps so got in early to have a go at it.

I've got nothing to compare it to as I haven't used a VR device before so it was very novel first experience (standing in a window whilst shoppers walk past watching be wave my hands around…). First up was theblu which I was impressed by and then there was the chance to use the controls in more depth with Space Pirate Trainer VR.

It was with this short game that I noticed some of the limitations such as – when looking down to the controls (the digital representation in game) they were very out of focus as I was looking down with my eyes, not my head. This can be considered a good result in terms of how immersed I felt, but next time I would need to remember move my head more so I am getting the centre area of focus on the subject I want to focus on. Putting this into perspective, I am a trackIR user and I am well trained in moving my head but keeping my eyes locked onto the screen (which is unnatural).

So I felt that there appears to be a ‘limited’ central focus area that was subject to much change with even a little up or down positioning of the vive on my head. Of course the limited time I had didn’t allow me to really get the setup the way I would have liked so I am sure there is room for improvement. I didn’t notice any particular lag when moving or using the controllers which was good, though doubt there was any real hard pressed processing going on with the demos I was using that would cause fps drop and any sense of jerkiness.

Overall I really enjoyed the immersive experience, though without having a highly detailed DCS cockpit in front of me I’m still left with unanswered questions on the experience. Still sitting on the fence at this point in time.

LOL. My Vive is coming this Tuesday. So much for the Rift pre-order! Rift was delayed to late May. As I said, I'll review both, then sell off the one I don't like. Can't wait! As a DK1 and DK2 user, I'm pretty used to VR by now, so I think I can be critical w/o being overly wowed by the initial VR experience. Having sold my DK2 on Ebay (took all of 5 minutes to sell!) I'm going through VR withdrawl! :)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

A question for the Aussie who has ordered and received a Vive. Did you have to pay Fedx import duties? Did you receive paperwork?

Did receive paperwork, some time after it arrived. Did not have to make any extra payment over the original cost.

Slip the surly bonds of Earth

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Core i7 2600k@4.5||Z77 Extreme 6||16GB RAM

WIN 10||HTC Vive ||G940||1080Ti

A question for the Aussie who has ordered and received a Vive. Did you have to pay Fedx import duties? Did you receive paperwork?

Received paperwork. Didn't have to pay anything.