Valve/HTC Vive Discussion

Python

Isn't "visibility range = high" killing you - especially near big(ger) cities?

Edited by funkyfranky

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

And shouldn't Flat Terrain shadows be set to ON?

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

So after fiddling around for some time here are my "optimal" settings (i.e. going as high as possible and getting (nearly) no stutters). Any suggestions for improvement more than welcome!

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

In Nvidia control panel-these setting

AFAIK, control panel settings are pretty much ignored by SteamVR.

I might be wrong.

PC HW: i5 3770k@4.6GHz | Asus 1080Ti | 16GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO | MSI MPower Z77 Input: MS FFB2 w/ F-16 FLCS grip | CH Pro Throttle | MFG Crosswind | HTC Vive DCS modules: F-14, FW-190, P-51, Bf109, UH1, Mi-8, FC3, CE2

Isn't "visibility range = high" killing you - especially near big(ger) cities?

Not really, I only back it down if it's unplayable.

AFAIK, control panel settings are pretty much ignored by SteamVR.

I might be wrong.

I don't know if it matters but I don't have SteamVr on. Just Auto detect enabled in game.

And shouldn't Flat Terrain shadows be set to ON?

Idk, I thought that caused a lot of fps loss. I have Shadows Flat only.

I have noticed that the control panel settings make the fences and power lines better. Not great but a big step up from my previous.

Thermaltake Core P90 Tempered Glass//Thermaltake iRGB Plus 1200W//GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER LGA 1151//i9-9900K//Thermaltake CL420 Copper Radiator//Thermaltake W4 Plus//Thermaltake 140mm Radiator Fan Triple Pack//Samsung 1TB 970 EVO NVMe M2//SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 500GB //CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB 3200//GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 TI//Logitech G940//Virpil MT50 Throttle//MFG Crosswind rudder pedals//Geko GSeat//Gametrix Jetseat//Htc Vive//Pimax 5k+//Viril VFX//Razer Nari Ultimate

So after fiddling around for some time here are my "optimal" settings (i.e. going as high as possible and getting (nearly) no stutters). Any suggestions for improvement more than welcome!

Did you try to up the resolution of cockpit displays? I think it helps a lot.

Thermaltake Core P90 Tempered Glass//Thermaltake iRGB Plus 1200W//GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER LGA 1151//i9-9900K//Thermaltake CL420 Copper Radiator//Thermaltake W4 Plus//Thermaltake 140mm Radiator Fan Triple Pack//Samsung 1TB 970 EVO NVMe M2//SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 500GB //CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB 3200//GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 TI//Logitech G940//Virpil MT50 Throttle//MFG Crosswind rudder pedals//Geko GSeat//Gametrix Jetseat//Htc Vive//Pimax 5k+//Viril VFX//Razer Nari Ultimate

I'm having so many stutters in multiplayer.. and I now lowered everything i can set to low/off.

When moving my head in the cockpit, it's like having duplicate frames, making it a pain to fly.

I tried with both VSYNCH OFF and ON (now it's OFF), by disabling SteamVR, reprojection is ON... does anyone has anything else to suggest?

Again, i'm on a 980Ti and 4.3ghz 6cores. Does anyone here are experiencing similar issues with multiplayer?

Did you try to up the resolution of cockpit displays? I think it helps a lot.

You mean in terms of performance or readability? It only affects planes with an MFD (like the A-10) right?

But I'll give it a try. Thanks!

So the issue looks to be about the objects in view.. I enabled the detailed FPS screen and I have noticed that in a random situation (while sitting in hangar), while looking at right, the screen reported 1900 objects loaded and I were doing 18-20 fps, and when looking at my left the objects were 900 and I was doing 52 fps.

There must be something really wrong with the ambient occlusion because both the views were similar (no visible objects...).

My sets are also all to low (including the view distance)... and again I own a 980Ti .. i don't believe that I would do 18 fps in DCS with all the sets to LOW, while in every other games I do four times that FPS with mid-high settings in VR (in example in Project CARS).

Yes, that's the main driver of a fall in FPS, along with shadows (which follows, as a lot of objects casting shadows is doubly bad. To make it even worse turn on the cockpit mirrors for extra pain!).

This is particularly evident in MP as mission designers often scatter all kinds of extra bits and pieces around the spawn area. Once you take off it abates a lot, but if you fly near a town or a lot of trees you will probably get it again. Seems that asynchronous time warp allows you to fake your way out of a bad FPS, but this only works well on the Rift. Reprojection on the Vive still needs a minimum of 45fps to work well, or you get the stutters.

Oculus CV1, i7 4790k @ stock, gtx 1080ti @ stock, 32gb PC3-19200 @ 2.4ghz, warthog & saitek pedals, razer tartarus chroma.

im getting my Vive tomorrow and DCS is one of the first sims i want to test out.

I know there is an option in the DCS World settings to detect the Occulus Rift, but for the Vive how to i set it to use the Vive (not using the Steam version of DCS World).

is it something i do in the Steam VR software or does it show up as a different display int he DCS:W settings

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5 8600K OC @ 5.0GHz w/ Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler| MSI GTX 1080 OC Edition | 32GB DDR4 3600 | EVO 960 NVMe SSD | WD Black NVMe SSD

Win10 X64 | TrackIR 5 | HTC Vive | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and Cougar MFDs | Saitek Combat Pedals

Just check the Oculus Rift option, it works with the Vive as well. I guess they'll have to rename that option in the future. :)

Specs:

i9 10900K @ 5.1 GHz, EVGA GTX 1080Ti, MSI Z490 MEG Godlike, 32GB DDR4 @ 3600, Win 10, Samsung S34E790C, Vive, TIR5, 10cm extended Warthog on WarBRD, Crosswinds

great, so its really a "detect VR device" options.

well hopefully by this time tomorrow i will know for sure :-)

cant wait!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5 8600K OC @ 5.0GHz w/ Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler| MSI GTX 1080 OC Edition | 32GB DDR4 3600 | EVO 960 NVMe SSD | WD Black NVMe SSD

Win10 X64 | TrackIR 5 | HTC Vive | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and Cougar MFDs | Saitek Combat Pedals

Be aware that the game won't turn ON your device if it's OFF (set to turn OFF from the SteamVR options: turn off when quit...).

So you have to have SteamVR running, or disable the option to turn it off when exiting SteamVR.

So the issue looks to be about the objects in view.. I enabled the detailed FPS screen and I have noticed that in a random situation (while sitting in hangar), while looking at right, the screen reported 1900 objects loaded and I were doing 18-20 fps, and when looking at my left the objects were 900 and I was doing 52 fps.

There must be something really wrong with the ambient occlusion because both the views were similar (no visible objects...).

My sets are also all to low (including the view distance)... and again I own a 980Ti .. i don't believe that I would do 18 fps in DCS with all the sets to LOW, while in every other games I do four times that FPS with mid-high settings in VR (in example in Project CARS).

I really advise you to try this:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?...7&postcount=36

These are the 1.5.2 old visibility values posted by Mustang. (third time I'm suggesting this... :noexpression:)

Another option is trying the 1.5.2 directly. You can downgrade using this command:

dcs_updater update 1.5.2

(Optionally copy your whole current DCS folder to avoid having to upgrade later via network)

And yes, that version already supported the Vive.

What I don't understand is why with 5 visibility levels to choose from on the options none, even the lowest, gives any substantial performance gain.

I really advise you to try this:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?...7&postcount=36

These are the 1.5.2 old visibility values posted by Mustang. (third time I'm suggesting this... :noexpression:)

Another option is trying the 1.5.2 directly. You can downgrade using this command:

dcs_updater update 1.5.2

(Optionally copy your whole current DCS folder to avoid having to upgrade later via network)

And yes, that version already supported the Vive.

What I don't understand is why with 5 visibility levels to choose from on the options none, even the lowest, gives any substantial performance gain.

I already tried it.. I also lowered the numbers of the LOW option.. it didn't made any difference (or anything noticeable).

The fact is that if i run the game without the VIVE, it does something like 130fps ..I know the resolution is different and it has to double render.. but from 130 to a low of 18fps seems a way too much. I can't downgrade (I play online).

I think the stereoscopic rendering in DCS is heavily bugged...

npole, you get this performance loss also in single player mode or is it a multiplayer issue?

Maybe you can record a track in single player and we compare our frame rates. I have the same graphics card.

npole, you get this performance loss also in single player mode or is it a multiplayer issue?

Maybe you can record a track in single player and we compare our frame rates. I have the same graphics card.

Multiplayer (as I specified in the other post) ...SP performance is much better, but SP for me has no value, since I only play online.

Btw I'm surprised that I'm the only one who have noticed it? Everyone who own a HMD is playing SP.... or what?

Multiplayer (as I specified in the other post) ...SP performance is much better, but SP for me has no value, since I only play online.

Btw I'm surprised that I'm the only one who have noticed it? Everyone who own a HMD is playing SP.... or what?

I play the majoirty of my time online, and usually have no issues.

If the weather is bad, rain etc my frames will drop. The other issue are cities, i try to avoid them.

But usually these issues aside, it works great online.

@DigitalEngine nice!

@tkairshows

Is there a way to turn off the mirror on the monitor so the card is not rendering 3 images?

From what I've read elsewehere I understood that the desktop view is just a replica of the Left (or Right) eye render, i.e. not a separate render.

I could be wrong though. If it helps to increase fps I'd be happy to get rid of it.

There is no spoon.

Avatar_old_80x80.gif.0c105925ce4b9f5b87697ea37cbde317.gif

VAICOM PRO plugin for DCS World

www.vaicompro.com

Tbilisi River Run in DCS World with the HTC Vive, at mostly 90fps.

Reprojection (equivalent to O/R ATW) kicks in at 45fps drops.

Two passes down the Tbilisi river walk and a pass down the central rail line with a landing and shut down. Showcasing the smoothness of gameplay. Emersion is incredible, resolution, well.., petition HTC and Valve to sell us 4K HMD's is all I can say :)

Now try to do the same in multiplayer ... and lemme know. :)

Ah.. what you see you on the screen (the one you recorded) is different from the experience you have in the HMD, because of synched frames: at low fps when the synchronization is lost you will see major stutters, while the mirror on the screen remains fluid because it's a single view port.

Tbilisi River Run in DCS World with the HTC Vive, at mostly 90fps.

Not that I don't believe you but it'd be nice to see where it drops to 45fps. The numbers are too small to see even in 1080p.

PC HW: i5 3770k@4.6GHz | Asus 1080Ti | 16GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO | MSI MPower Z77 Input: MS FFB2 w/ F-16 FLCS grip | CH Pro Throttle | MFG Crosswind | HTC Vive DCS modules: F-14, FW-190, P-51, Bf109, UH1, Mi-8, FC3, CE2

Performance Issues...

Here is a repost plus addition info which may help others.

If your Using the HTC Vive read this page,

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=139912&page=107

Basically it seems the Steam app, and also a background services presumably having to do with HTC's e-shop, and/or Steam VR do not seem play well with DCS World (go figure, as DCS is available on Steam...)

I just turn them all off when activating DCS World. Also I basically disable every unnecessary app running in the task bar.

Until I (and Holleywood_315 about the same time) figured this out. The stuttering was not sever, but noticeably annoying. Reading the below quote, this stutter was in the 2D monitor version also, it just was not as noticeable as it is in VR, in other words the stutter issue I was having did not have anything to do with fps (running at 180fps!!).

Yes, there is a very slight stutter I'm experiencing also, approximately every 1.0 to 1.5 seconds that is sometimes especially noticeable in Virtual Reality. Even when getting 90fps I can see this slight stutter. After trying differing graphical settings (low to medium), I went to 2D mode, and yes, it's there, but in 2D you really have to look for it. In Virtual Reality it's much more noticeable because everything is full and life size.

The HTC Vive's equivalent to OR's ATW is "Allow Reprojection", and it works very well. It basically kick's in when the fps drops to 45fps.

Another thing I've noticed, is cockpit shadows have a very hard hit on fps, as it keeps the fps in the Reprojection (or ATW) range most of the time, which is a shame as I really love the cockpit shadows. If you'd like a to see a good example of how the "Allow Reprojection" works, fly the "Flight Over Tbilisi" mission with the cockpit shadows on.

These are my DCS option setting, and below that is my system hardware description, which I've got overclocked, both the CPU and GPU.

Textures = Medium

Terrain Textures = Low

Civ. Traffic = Low (although I haven't seen any yet)

Water = Low

Heat Blur = OFF

Shadows = OFF

*N/A

*N/A

*N/A

Res. of Cockpit Displays = 256

MSAA = 8x

HDR = ON (don't know is it really does anything in VR)

Depth of Field = OFF

Lens Effects = NONE

Clutter/Grass = 0 (haven't really played with it yet)

Tress Visibility = 1500 (haven't really played with it yet)

Preload Radius = 150 (played with it, but not quite understanding how it really works and effects DCS World in VR yet)

Anisotropic Filtering = 4x

Flat Terrain Shadows = OFF

Disable Aero Interface = Checked

My system is fairly up to date, and I personally consider it really the minimal for a good DCS World / HTC Vive experience. It just takes some beefy hardware for this VR thing.

My system basics are,

i7-6700 CPU,

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO ALPHA motherboard,

G.SKILL F4-3400C16Q-64GVK 64GB memory (maybe this is what's forcing me through issues others are having?)

Zotac GeForce® GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme GPU

Windows10

SSD Harddrive

Ah.. what you see you on the screen (the one you recorded) is different from the experience you have in the HMD, because of synched frames: at low fps when the synchronization is lost you will see major stutters, while the mirror on the screen remains fluid because it's a single view port.

What I'm seeing in the HMD is mostly 90fps (about 92%-98% guess). While it's not possible for me to monitor the monitor while wearing the HMD to compare both, I do see and I am able to read the fps indication in the HMD very well as it's displayed a little lower in the HMD, closer the Vives sweet spot than the comms messages.

I do get the occasional drop down to 45fps, but (and this is only just an observed subjective speculation) it seems to be certain object textures and at only certain altitudes or distances from the offending object, whatever it might be, I don't know.

But I have the suspicion the ED team is already aware of the culprit(s) and it(they) are on a to do list for termination.

And I haven't got to doing multiplayer yet, just not enough time :noexpression:.

This is the best help I can give for those using the Vive, hope it helps some of those struggling with the stutter issues.

Again, keep in mind all this is new, DCS World wasn't built from the keyboard up for VR, so it's gonna take some time and a lot of work by the Eagle Dynamics Team and the dedicated DCS World fans to get to where we'd all like DCS + VR to be.

Edited by DigitalEngine

CPU = Intel i7-6700K

Motherboard = ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero Alpha, w/ the Intel Z170 Chipset,

RAM = 64 Gigs of Ripjaws V F4-3400C16Q.

GPU = Zotac GTX980ti Amp Extreme

Hard-drive = Samsung V-NAD SSD 950 PRO M.2