Valve/HTC Vive Discussion

Python

When watching the extended fps counter in-game during VR testing with the Vive I have the following observations, appreciate if you can confirm and share your thoughts

1) 'Surf' (presumably water) eats quite a lot of render time (1.5+) even though my Water setting is LOW and there is hardly any water surface in sight when looking around.

2) The 'Camera Angles' counter spontaneously resets to 90.00000 0.000000 every two seconds. This is regardless of whether Allow Reprojection has been set to ON or OFF.

This could be innocent but I do find it suspicious i.e. could point to erroneous addressing of the VR driver. I have not seen this behaviour before with TrackIR in 2D but perhaps others have?

Would be nice to hear if others can replicate and if this counter resetting is the same with the OR.

There is no spoon.

Avatar_old_80x80.gif.0c105925ce4b9f5b87697ea37cbde317.gif

VAICOM PRO plugin for DCS World

www.vaicompro.com

Thanks for your settings, DigitalEngine!

One question: Does "Flat Terrain Shadows = OFF" have a positive or negative impact on the frame rate?

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

Simple tip @all: If like me you have no particular need for rendered tree objects in VR you can set the Trees slider below 1500 by editing the options.lua file. I set it to zero myself.

["treesVisibility"] = 0

@averagepilot

I really advise you to try this:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?...7&postcount=36

These are the 1.5.2 old visibility values posted by Mustang.

Thanks for this. I'm using Mustangs High settings now and these seem to give me better overall results than the regular Low visibility range.

There is no spoon.

Avatar_old_80x80.gif.0c105925ce4b9f5b87697ea37cbde317.gif

VAICOM PRO plugin for DCS World

www.vaicompro.com

OK, did some tweaking and got DCS Vive back to a playable state, im using a gtx980. Firstly, I disabled the background services as per Hollywood's post on this page:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=139912&page=107

*) service ViveFSM Service: change startup mode from Automatic to Manual

*) service Viveport Services: change startup mode from Automatic to Manual

*) service HTC Account Service: change startup mode from Automatic to Manual

*) using msconfig (look this up on internet if you're not familiar with it) I disabled startup for HTCVRMarketplaceUserContextHelper

(I'm on win10 so used the Services thing in the start menu/computer management. MSconfig startup doesn't seem to be in win8, you can at least kill the processes in task manager).

Next up I tweaked the graphics settings using the F15-C instant action mission (intercept), diving down to the urban area to check how it went. I can mostly sit with the FPS clamped at 45, so reprojection is doing it's thing. Stuttering is noticeable when it drops below that. When the bombers drop their loads it goes to hell, especially with explosion effects, but this is fine unless you are playing bombing missions I suppose.

At any rate, I like trees, and I like shadows. But shadows and trees are a recipe for disaster. Indeed shadows with any urban environment kills it pretty quick. Below are the settings I chose to achieve a 90% hit rate on 45fps, after disabling those services:

AAvX4D5.png

(Antialiasing is jacked up as I'm trying to make the cockpit gauges clearer). I then tested this in the Phoenix server and it is indeed playable, ROCK ON :joystick:

(we need a VR emoji)

Edited by Shabi
accuracy

Oculus CV1, i7 4790k @ stock, gtx 1080ti @ stock, 32gb PC3-19200 @ 2.4ghz, warthog & saitek pedals, razer tartarus chroma.

Yes, these settings are pretty much the same I use now. (Execpt that I also use visib range = low and water medium.)

I also like shadows, but they are a real killer. Turing them off completely allows you to go for much higher settings in the other options without nearly any stuttering. I did my tests flying over Batumi with the F-86F.

Did you notice any improvement in reading gauges when setting MSAA 16xQ compared to let's say 8x?

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

OK, did some tweaking and got DCS Vive back to a playable state. Firstly, I disabled the background services as per Hollywood's post on this page:

Loads of useful info snipped

It is really impossible for anyone to make any worthwhile comparison, if you don't at least give us some idea of your basic spec. Better still put the lot into your Signature, like most people have done. Then we can see how we compare. :thumbup: Thanks

i9 9900x at 5.1 Ghz // ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula EK Bloc // 64Gb Corsair Vengence 3600Mhz DDR4 Ram // Gigabyte Aorus 3090 Watercooled block//Samsung SM951 M2 x4 SSD // Windows 10 64 Bit //48inch LG48 @ 3840x2160 120Hz//Asus ROG Swift PG35VQ 3440 x 14440 144Hz // TM Warthog HOTAS (Ser. No. 00836) //MFG Crosswind Pedals // TrackIR 5 //Varjo Aero

An old pilot is one who remembers when flying was dangerous and sex was safe.

Oops, my bad, I thought I had put my GFX card in there. I'm using a gtx980, and my other specs are relatively standard for a gaming i7. Motherboards, cpu specifics and memory clocks make for comparatively meager performance increases compared to the card (providing one doesn't use abnormally terrible hardware). Although I understand flight sims would be a bit more CPU heavy potentially (I have an i7-4790k).

Yes shadows really add to the sense of space and presence, mainly I want shadows in the cockpit panning across instruments as I turn, it's another signifier as to which way things are pointing. The dirt/grime effect on the glass is also great for this, and I WISH we had a setting for cockpit shadows vs environment shadows, but I understand this might be difficult if it's lit with the same engine.

As for AA, I'm not really sure what MSAA 16xQ means (gone are the days of simple AA names), but anecdotal evidence is that regular AA @ 16x left a lot more "shimmer" on the instruments kind of like a moire pattern. This seems lessened with 16xQ.

Playing on an openconflict map tonight is revealing that I'm dipping below 45fps a lot which is a worry. Even at 12,000 ft and looking straight ahead, I imagine the map is packed with units. I may have to get a gtx1080... (searching for excuses to do this..)

Oculus CV1, i7 4790k @ stock, gtx 1080ti @ stock, 32gb PC3-19200 @ 2.4ghz, warthog & saitek pedals, razer tartarus chroma.

lots of good info in this thread, i haven't read all of it, but i have been though a number of pages. as noted in my posts a page or so back, i ordered the Vive. I have had it now for a few days and have tested it on a number of games. I know my GPU is at the min spec so i dont expect great performance, but so far pretty much all of the games i have played via steam, including Elite Dangerous have all been surprisingly smooth.

As for DCS, my frames are low, to be expected i suppose, i have adjusted to the lower settings referenced in the later few pages here and run DCS with steam and SteamVR closed, but i do not have any Vive or HTC related services to set to manual (strange?)

the main problem im having with DCS is that its very jittery when i move my head. if i keep my head still the frames and everything else are ok, not great but playable through level flight, dives, rolls and hard G turns.. it all looks decent. When i move the frame counter doesn't inicate a drop, but the movement is very jumpy/jittery and that makes it near impossible to use. frames are in the 50s or so. this jitter is only in the cockpit but happens on the ground or air.. doesnt seem to be jittery in ME or other menus before entering the sim. i havent checked if its the same in sim using external cameras

Has this been discussed/fixed and i missed it or are there any thoughts on this?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5 8600K OC @ 5.0GHz w/ Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler| MSI GTX 1080 OC Edition | 32GB DDR4 3600 | EVO 960 NVMe SSD | WD Black NVMe SSD

Win10 X64 | TrackIR 5 | HTC Vive | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and Cougar MFDs | Saitek Combat Pedals

the main problem im having with DCS is that its very jittery when i move my head. if i keep my head still the frames and everything else are ok, not great but playable through level flight, dives, rolls and hard G turns.. it all looks decent. When i move the frame counter doesn't inicate a drop, but the movement is very jumpy/jittery and that makes it near impossible to use. frames are in the 50s or so. this jitter is only in the cockpit but happens on the ground or air.. doesnt seem to be jittery in ME or other menus before entering the sim. i havent checked if its the same in sim using external cameras

Has this been discussed/fixed and i missed it or are there any thoughts on this?

This is due to instant fps dropping because of poor game performance. You won't notice it with a monitor, neither you will notice it in VR while keeping your head still, but as soon you move you have the "ghosting" effect.

If you enabled the fps counter (CTRL+PAUSE key) you will notice that your frame rate will go lower than 45fps, and this is enough to cause the ghosting you are experiencing: every instant your fps will pass the 45fps limit, you will experience the jitters, even if it's just a matter of 1 second.

Don't worry it's not because of your low-end gfx board, well not completely.. I own a 980Ti and I do 18 fps sometime in multiplayer with everything set to LOW (everything .. literally).

We can only hope the game will be optimized in the future, because as of today, you cannot have a smooth experience in VR, neither by owning the fastest card on the market (the nVidia 1080, that is 30% faster than my gpu).

There's just something about that new Rift smell...

Hi all,

It arrived today, and it was a nice surprise. Since we pretty much know a good bit about it, I won't write too much. However, there are some initial thoughts I have coming from a DK2 user for almost two years.

I had an opportunity to demo both the CV1 and the Vive recently, and I liked what the CV1 offered over the other device. I outlined my thoughts in two separate threads here. Since I have had more time with the CV1 today, here are some of my other observations:

1 - FOV - Less than the DK2. It was a disappointment when running FSX with FlyInside

2 - SDE - Minimal. I'd expect SDE not to be an issue in a CV2 in the future, but you can see it

3 - "God Rays" - I didn't get a chance to see its effects in the demo. Mine has it to a degree, but it's not so bad as to make it a deal breaker, but it is there

4 - Comfort - more comfortable than the Vive (personal taste) but not as comfy as the DK2

5 - Initial Setup - I've been running the DK2 and OH 1.4 program, so setup was simple enough. I get a warning telling me to update my USB3 drivers, but the Oculus system compatibility test tells me all is green...strange, but I'm ignoring it.

6 - Sound - I have good Plantronics muffs, so I just removed the Oculus ones and disabled the sound/recording device in the Device manager

7 - The "Puck" thing - I like it and it doesn't cost a USB port...just talks to the HMD. I didn't think I'd like it, but I do

"BoxxMann's Thoughts"

I'm pleased that the thing worked, and from reading the Oculus forums one would expect a pig in a poke when the box arrives. Mine installed without trouble, and I specifically built a new PC to accommodate the CV1 and made sure everything passed every test there was. Shaking it down with the DK2 for three months helped the transition. Everything was simple in my case.

Unfortunately, I am not as enthusiastic about it as I'd like to be, but I didn't have unrealistic expectations. The diminished FOV, somewhat ergonomic discomfort and "god rays" are evident negatives. But it is a step up from the Dk2 by way of image clarity, especially at a distance. That part has improved a good bit. To be fair, I need to get more time with this thing before I really have a feeling for it.

I'm expecting that my observations in other sims like PCars, DCS and FSX/P3d-FI with respect to image clarity to be improved in iracing when they (hopefully) release the update.

Here in DCS the cockpits are much more crisp. The F15 hud easily readable when in a normal seated position. Small labias and gauges need you to lean a bit to see clearly. I have not done any A/A yet.

Anyhow, those are my observations. Hopefully when the CV2 arrives in whenever, there will be abundant FOV, no SDE, much better lenses and much better comfort. Note that if you are not using VR, you must!

Host PC: i7-5930 at 4.2 | GTX980ti | 1tb Evo SSD | and some other stuff

Pics:

IMG_1962.jpg

IMG_1964.jpg

DK2 Retirement - Goodbye ole buddy! (going to a new life on the DSD Demo chassis as the DSD Center)

IMG_1965.jpg

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

Derek,

The one thing on comfort. The DK2 had a chance to break in and mold to your head. I think you'll find that CV1 does the same. At first, I was like "dang..this is tight" But after I re-loosened the straps - side and top, and had a chance to play with it, it seemed to get better.

If you put that DK2 on EBAY, you may find that you can almost fund a CV1! Crazy, I know, but true as of last month.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Derek,

The one thing on comfort. The DK2 had a chance to break in and mold to your head. I think you'll find that CV1 does the same. At first, I was like "dang..this is tight" But after I re-loosened the straps - side and top, and had a chance to play with it, it seemed to get better.

If you put that DK2 on EBAY, you may find that you can almost fund a CV1! Crazy, I know, but true as of last month.

That's an interesting idea about selling it, but I want to keep it. And yes, they are paying 500+ for a DK2...wth?!?!

I am thinking of getting some replacement goggle foam and a VR cover to get some more padding in this thing. I've adjusted it all it will go. It'll eventually be ok :joystick:

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

This is due to instant fps dropping because of poor game performance. You won't notice it with a monitor, neither you will notice it in VR while keeping your head still, but as soon you move you have the "ghosting" effect.

If you enabled the fps counter (CTRL+PAUSE key) you will notice that your frame rate will go lower than 45fps, and this is enough to cause the ghosting you are experiencing: every instant your fps will pass the 45fps limit, you will experience the jitters, even if it's just a matter of 1 second.

Don't worry it's not because of your low-end gfx board, well not completely.. I own a 980Ti and I do 18 fps sometime in multiplayer with everything set to LOW (everything .. literally).

We can only hope the game will be optimized in the future, because as of today, you cannot have a smooth experience in VR, neither by owning the fastest card on the market (the nVidia 1080, that is 30% faster than my gpu).

thanks, i know it has to be at least in part due to my GPU, but yea hopefully further optimizations of the DCS:W Engine. I know a large number of people are able to play in VR without issues.. im waiting on my GPU upgrade for another couple months to see everything released from AMD and NVidia.

At this point do we know if the Rift is performing better than the Vive due to any specific optimizations?

Also, i haven't done any tuning to my GPU, is there anything i should have set on my AMD GPU to try and improve the performance of DCS:W?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5 8600K OC @ 5.0GHz w/ Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler| MSI GTX 1080 OC Edition | 32GB DDR4 3600 | EVO 960 NVMe SSD | WD Black NVMe SSD

Win10 X64 | TrackIR 5 | HTC Vive | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and Cougar MFDs | Saitek Combat Pedals

Lolwhut? :D

Freudian slip i suspect... lol!!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Tbilisi River Run in DCS World with the HTC Vive, at mostly 90fps.

Reprojection (equivalent to O/R ATW) kicks in at 45fps drops.

Two passes down the Tbilisi river walk and a pass down the central rail line with a landing and shut down. Showcasing the smoothness of gameplay. Emersion is incredible, resolution, well.., petition HTC and Valve to sell us 4K HMD's is all I can say :)

Trying to fly the P-51 on ACG server was almost impossible until I flipped the mirror up. It made a huge difference for me.

Thermaltake Core P90 Tempered Glass//Thermaltake iRGB Plus 1200W//GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER LGA 1151//i9-9900K//Thermaltake CL420 Copper Radiator//Thermaltake W4 Plus//Thermaltake 140mm Radiator Fan Triple Pack//Samsung 1TB 970 EVO NVMe M2//SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 500GB //CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB 3200//GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 TI//Logitech G940//Virpil MT50 Throttle//MFG Crosswind rudder pedals//Geko GSeat//Gametrix Jetseat//Htc Vive//Pimax 5k+//Viril VFX//Razer Nari Ultimate

Trying to fly the P-51 on ACG server was almost impossible until I flipped the mirror up. It made a huge difference for me.

Turn mirror reflections off altogether, it makes the card draw more frame buffers, and then all the objects behind you (which is a huge issue in urban environments or in a forest).

Originally Posted by DerekSpeare viewpost.gif

Small labias

Now that's funny!!! I'm going out on a limb and say that's the the first time those words were uttered on these forums. You have to wonder what kind of typo dictionary Derek has amassed. :D:D

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

That's an interesting idea about selling it, but I want to keep it. And yes, they are paying 500+ for a DK2...wth?!?!

I am thinking of getting some replacement goggle foam and a VR cover to get some more padding in this thing. I've adjusted it all it will go. It'll eventually be ok :joystick:

Unlike labias (LOL) the foam thingy pops right out.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Unfortunately, I am not as enthusiastic about it as I'd like to be, but I didn't have unrealistic expectations. The diminished FOV, somewhat ergonomic discomfort and "god rays" are evident negatives. But it is a step up from the Dk2 by way of image clarity, especially at a distance. That part has improved a good bit. To be fair, I need to get more time with this thing before I really have a feeling for it.

Thanks for your (yet another!) first impressions Derek. We're definitely all early adopters. I think both Vive and the Rift will really only shine if they can manage to substantially improve on pretty much all front (comfort, fov, lense artifacts, SDE, resolution & weight).

Hopefully the second iteration of both HMDs will be top notch and in the mean time by then most sims and drivers will be mature and optimized to offer smooth performances on the latest builds.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The chances of a substantial increase in quality of second generation VR headsets is starting to look very good. Samsung is now creating 4K VR displays, Nvidia/AMD are putting VR optimising hardware/software into their GPUs, Microsoft/others are creating in ear hardware/software to minimize motion sickness, Oculus/others are working on eyetracking, universities are creating new very slim optic lenses, etc etc. The future looks very good.

I was not using Vive and I certainly did not say that about Fallon.

Erm... I looked at the last 3 pages but I couldn't figure out what this was in response to...

Could you elaborate?

PC HW: i5 3770k@4.6GHz | Asus 1080Ti | 16GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO | MSI MPower Z77 Input: MS FFB2 w/ F-16 FLCS grip | CH Pro Throttle | MFG Crosswind | HTC Vive DCS modules: F-14, FW-190, P-51, Bf109, UH1, Mi-8, FC3, CE2

same here.. i have no clue.. maybe he replied to the wrong thread

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]