Valve/HTC Vive Discussion

Python

A colleague brought in his HTC Vive and we hooked it up to my machine... running a 980Ti graphics card. Having flown DCS for years now... using 3x1 24" screens with Track IR 5 enabled.... Wow... While I do concur with others comments that some of the dials are a bit hard to read... there are optimizations to take place.. but being in the cockpit of the SU-25T and the Gazzelle..... seeing it in 3d and having the sense of spacial orientation in those aircraft... Wow.

You can change the cockpit resolution in options yes?

DCS in VR is essential for me. I won't go back to non-VR.

You can change the cockpit resolution in options yes?

DCS in VR is essential for me. I won't go back to non-VR.

I have to ask what settings are you running to get reasonable frames, I am running the vive with lowest settings on a GTX-1080 and an i5 4690k and I still struggle to get even 45 fps in some areas, and on mulitplayer I never get 90 fps.

Edit:

All settings on low bar texture settings on medium.

Just tested on the p51 v 190 instant action. With the vive I get 45 fps with 1.0 pixel density and on a 1920x1080 I get 200+ fps with the same settings what is going on? There must be some optimizing that needs doing?

Edited by JNelson

Guys,

all of a sudden, and might be due to the latest patch, I am sitting too far back in the cockpit.

Is there a way to move forward the seating position?

I tried the old method of leaning back, but I can only go so far before my neck breaks.

Cheers,e

Kaby Lake @ 4.6Ghz - Gigabyte Z170-D3H - 16Gb DDR4 - Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 OC - Samsung EVO 250Gb SSD - Seagate 1 Tb HDD - HTC Vive - Rift CV1

I have to ask what settings are you running to get reasonable frames, I am running the vive with lowest settings on a GTX-1080 and an i5 4690k and I still struggle to get even 45 fps in some areas, and on mulitplayer I never get 90 fps.

Edit:

Just tested on the p51 v 190 instant action. With the vive I get 45 fps with 1.0 pixel density and on a 1920x1080 I get 200+ fps with the same settings what is going on? There must be some optimizing that needs doing?

I'm trying to say it by weeks already.. no matter what GPU and CPU you have, nor you will never have 90 fps in VR on a crowded multiplayer server, but you will never have solid 45fps either = you will experience severe ghosting in many circumstances because you will be in the lower 45fps and the reprojection will stop working.

Who's claiming "rock solid" fps, is playing in single player or on empty (few players or basic campaign with just few objects) multiplayer server. If you try to ask those people to provide a video where they have solid 90fps while playing on a server like the 104th (one of the most crowded servers) they will just disappear. :)

At the moment the performance in VR (especially in multiplayer) is very poor and I don't know what's being done or if anything can be done at all with the current engine.

It's an unfortunate situation, because in VR the game is very cool.. until everything turns in a stutters festival. :(

I'm trying to say it by weeks already.. no matter what GPU and CPU you have, nor you will never have 90 fps in VR on a crowded multiplayer server, but you will never have solid 45fps either = you will experience severe ghosting in many circumstances because you will be in the lower 45fps and the reprojection will stop working.

Who's claiming "rock solid" fps, is playing in single player or on empty (few players or basic campaign with just few objects) multiplayer server. If you try to ask those people to provide a video where they have solid 90fps while playing on a server like the 104th (one of the most crowded servers) they will just disappear. :)

At the moment the performance in VR (especially in multiplayer) is very poor and I don't know what's being done or if anything can be done at all with the current engine.

It's an unfortunate situation, because in VR the game is very cool.. until everything turns in a stutters festival. :(

Same thing in Nvidia 3dvision, something needs to be done to utilize gpu even more and lessen the burden on the single thread on cpu.

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

Is there a way to get the tutorial pointers running whilst in VR with the Vive? (i.e. those highlighted arrows which point you at the right control along with the training text). I've been trying to learn how to fly the Gazelle and it's frustrating being told to turn on some French labeled switch in English whilst not being able to refer to the manual.

I can see them when running in normal monitor mode, .. just not in the Vive.

i7-6900K, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, G1 GTX 1080, Samsung 950 PRO 512GB, SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2TB, Corsair H115i, Saitek X55, MFG Crosswind pedals, X34 Predator, & a Vive

WOW, Just did Vegas with the Rift. Awesome out of the box, have to adjust seating position as per Boxman's thread, when my son and I swap out.

Expensive but worth it.

Glad I pulled the trigger!

i7-6700 / 32GB DDR4 / 500GB SSD / GT 108 Founders /Oculus S/ Warthog /TRP/Obutto Ozone

Edit:

Shadows OFF. Shadows in DCS is a perf eater. You can even put some of the other things like textures back up to HIGH ... but Shadows just tanks the VR FPS.

Latest drivers 368.81 for the 1080 seemed to have improved performance a fair bit. I haven't quantified it by comparing frame rates yet but anyone else notice the same thing?

i7-6900K, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, G1 GTX 1080, Samsung 950 PRO 512GB, SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2TB, Corsair H115i, Saitek X55, MFG Crosswind pedals, X34 Predator, & a Vive

Sorry if I've missed it somewhere else, but quick question here .. does anyone know if the new pixel density slider now overrides the manual edits in the ‘steamvr.vrsettings’ file? I'm just not sure how DCS handles the conflict if there is one.

Sorry if I've missed it somewhere else, but quick question here .. does anyone know if the new pixel density slider now overrides the manual edits in the ‘steamvr.vrsettings’ file? I'm just not sure how DCS handles the conflict if there is one.

That slider only works for Rift users.

Gotcha.. thanks.

Yes thanks for this. I have been using a "renderTargetMultiplier" : 2, in my Steam\config\steamvr.vrsettings and with the in game multiplier in Elite Dangerous set to .65 it gave a much improved FR and AA. I had assumed that the slider in DCS did the same (ie: to offset the 2.0 in vrsettings with .5 on the slider) but after seeing your post, did a test and with 2 in the vrsettings I sure enough get much better AA and clear text but it kills the FR as the .5 in the game settings does not offset it.

Come on AMD, want to see what your 490x is going to be like. (time for an upgrade)

:noexpression:

i9 9900x at 5.1 Ghz // ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula EK Bloc // 64Gb Corsair Vengence 3600Mhz DDR4 Ram // Gigabyte Aorus 3090 Watercooled block//Samsung SM951 M2 x4 SSD // Windows 10 64 Bit //48inch LG48 @ 3840x2160 120Hz//Asus ROG Swift PG35VQ 3440 x 14440 144Hz // TM Warthog HOTAS (Ser. No. 00836) //MFG Crosswind Pedals // TrackIR 5 //Varjo Aero

An old pilot is one who remembers when flying was dangerous and sex was safe.

I set up a real basic "SAM gauntlet" map because I thought it would work well with the Vive. You blast through there low lvl, head on a swivel trying to detect and react fast enough to live vs. the manpads. Visually - fkn awesome :thumbup:

Can you share it? Sounds like a blast.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Need some help please.

So I have DCS installed stand alone. I cannot get my vive to be switched on by DCS, ticked the VR box in settings etc. Tried it with Steam VR running, not running, steam on it's own.

So I then downloaded DCS via steam into another drive, and it started straight away with the play in VR button.

The issue is that I have quite a few modules in my stand alone that I don't have in steam, that I want to fly and I can't add them to steam anymore.

Tried the theatre option under properties when it wasn't installed via steam and it was greyed out.

Any ideas to get it running outside steam?

thanks

“Any pilot should be flying the spitfire, at least once.” – John S. Blyth

Odd... I don't run the steam version at all and it works great. I know that doesn't help solve the problem but should give you hope that it can work :).

Did you do the room setup routine with the vive software?

Any other titles work with the vive? (ones that are supposed to)

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

Got it to work earlier on today.

Added my stand alone install as a non-steam game, and straight away it popped up as play in VR.

Uninstalled my steam copy and everything is still the same. Works perfectly, now just to get it set up properly for the vive and my nvidia 1070.

Thx for the response.

“Any pilot should be flying the spitfire, at least once.” – John S. Blyth

Vive Gloved Hands in DCS World 1.5.4.

Vive Controller "Gloved" Hands

Gents, went back into DCS to look more at the gloved hands that show up when you have the Vive controllers turned on and within view of the Lighthouse Stations when in DCS World 1.5.4.55169 tonight.

The gloved hands seem sized relevant to the cockpit as you can see in my attached images.

1253697857_HandonLeverGazzelle_160725.thumb.jpg.c582e1aa79b50fb67b8e1d0d469946ad.jpg

679509406_HandOnCollective_160725.thumb.jpg.aa45df49b2fe478a46b5409737635953.jpg

I see that if only one controller is on (or only one in view of the lighthouses it shows as your left hand. If both are in view then right and left show up... but I had to hold my right controller hand upside down to get it to orient correctly.

I confirmed the left hand only by moving the controller appearing as my left hand out of view of lighthouses and the right hand disappeared and reappeared as my left hand. This makes sense (to me) as most pilots will be keeping their right hand on the stick/cyclic a majority of a flight and would use their left hand to manipulate the switches etc.

The hands don't do anything but float in space right now (apparently... fingers don't move..."touching" a control doesn't manipulate it) and if you jump to the Copilot seat in Gazzelle the hands stay in the pilot's seat area (unless you move your controller left the physical distance in your room to get them in the copilot's seat area. (I tried NUMPAD 5 to recenter view... recenter my view in copilot's seat but hands still stayed in the pilot's seat area when held right in front of my body at the computer)

Anybody know anything about the functionality planned for this and/or any speculated timelines (I know the timeline thing is always "subject to change" here..) ?

Semper Fi

AldoUSMC

Semper Fi

AldoUSMC

Intel i7-6700 CPU @ 4 GHz, 32 GB Ram, GeForce GTX 980 Ti, Windows 10 Pro -64 Bit

I've seen the glove as well and wondered what they were planning. They might yet implement some kind of interaction between the glove and the cockpits. There was something similar done in FSX by the makers of FlyInside in combination with an Orion/Leap Motion sensor.

shot-hand-heli.jpg

I feel that even if the controller would work by simulating an interactive gloved hand, I'm not sure I'd use the Vive controllers. Swapping between hand controller and a HOTAS sounds awkward. Something like the leap motion solution should feel a lot more realistic if it can track your hand movement accurately.

Somehow I wouldn't be surprised if we see a Vive compatible VR glove come out within the next 12 months.

One thing to keep in mind. Accuracy of Vive controller to Leap is like comparing a Volkswagen to Porsche. Vive is several orders of magnitude better in tracking.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1