Valve/HTC Vive Discussion

Python

Yeah ghosting is a matter of fact in busy online servers. But I'm fortunate enough that it doesn't bother me at all. It's great to get into a knife fight with your buddy online and shift and swivel in your chair to keep them in sight. I've built my missions to have few ground units or only spawn at specific trigger points to reduce any FPS drops. It's always a compromise with this first Gen VR but I can't fly without it now. I flew over 3 hours last night on the Vive without any ill effects. With time and patience you can dial in your rig for a worth while experience.

Considering the Vive

For me, this is a huge investment. Not only do I have to buy the Vive, but I must also up grade my computer or get a new one with higher specks. Before I invest, I would like to try DCS on the Vive. Is there ANYONE in the Denver Metro Area that has a Vive setup and is willing to let me try it, I would greatly appreciate it?

For me, this is a huge investment. Not only do I have to buy the Vive, but I must also up grade my computer or get a new one with higher specks. Before I invest, I would like to try DCS on the Vive. Is there ANYONE in the Denver Metro Area that has a Vive setup and is willing to let me try it, I would greatly appreciate it?

Are you interested in other games, or is VR in DCS the primary objective? I ask because as of *now* Rift support is much better in DCS than Vive. I'm sure that will change over time, but I'm not sure what timeline you're working with.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Yeah I'm silly enough to have done it. I bought the Titan X Pascal. I'll be the first to admit it is total OVERKILL for DCS World. BUT, I wanted to be able to play with super sampling at or above 2.0. AND it delivers although with my graphics settings I'm at a steady 45 FPS reprojection.

IDK, man - a lot of times you went down into the 30's with FPS, that's not exactly steady reprojection. And you were flying straight, doing nothing but looking at another F5. I can't imagine what this looks like over a city.

PC HW: i5 3770k@4.6GHz | Asus 1080Ti | 16GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO | MSI MPower Z77 Input: MS FFB2 w/ F-16 FLCS grip | CH Pro Throttle | MFG Crosswind | HTC Vive DCS modules: F-14, FW-190, P-51, Bf109, UH1, Mi-8, FC3, CE2

SteamVR Update

Gents with Vives,

There was a SteamVR update in the last 24 hours it appears. My SteamVr loads then crashes when trying to start DCS World 1.54 Open Beta (I have non-steam version). DCS World continues to load to the screen non-VR.

I found that the only way it stays stable and works is if I launch and have running run both Steam and Steam VR.. before I launch DCS World 1.54 OB (stand alone/non-steam)

I know, to date, I've been making sure Steam and Steam VR were not loaded when launching DCS World 1.54 OB based upon performance enhancement recommendations from others here... and that has been working.. until today.

Anybody else seeing this ? Asking so I can track back to see if it is specific to my system or others are experiencing also.

Semper Fi

AldoUSMC

Semper Fi

AldoUSMC

Intel i7-6700 CPU @ 4 GHz, 32 GB Ram, GeForce GTX 980 Ti, Windows 10 Pro -64 Bit

Gents with Vives,

There was a SteamVR update in the last 24 hours it appears. My SteamVr loads then crashes when trying to start DCS World 1.54 Open Beta (I have non-steam version). DCS World continues to load to the screen non-VR.

I found that the only way it stays stable and works is if I launch and have running run both Steam and Steam VR.. before I launch DCS World 1.54 OB (stand alone/non-steam)

I know, to date, I've been making sure Steam and Steam VR were not loaded when launching DCS World 1.54 OB based upon performance enhancement recommendations from others here... and that has been working.. until today.

Anybody else seeing this ? Asking so I can track back to see if it is specific to my system or others are experiencing also.

Semper Fi

AldoUSMC

Mine just started normally, like I didn't have the VR checked even though it is. I closed it and opened virtual desktop and that started steam. Then opening Dcs and it was in Vr.

Thermaltake Core P90 Tempered Glass//Thermaltake iRGB Plus 1200W//GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER LGA 1151//i9-9900K//Thermaltake CL420 Copper Radiator//Thermaltake W4 Plus//Thermaltake 140mm Radiator Fan Triple Pack//Samsung 1TB 970 EVO NVMe M2//SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 500GB //CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB 3200//GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 TI//Logitech G940//Virpil MT50 Throttle//MFG Crosswind rudder pedals//Geko GSeat//Gametrix Jetseat//Htc Vive//Pimax 5k+//Viril VFX//Razer Nari Ultimate

Windy - I really appreciate the effort you put into this. Could you take a similar footage while flying low and rolling while looking over your wing? I would really like to to see objects moving fast.

Took a quick video of my HTC VIVE using my iPhone over the right eye piece. Flying over Kobuleti area with 2.0 pixel density. Solid 45 FPS reprojection with my tweaked DCS graphic settings.

Windy - I really appreciate the effort you put into this. Could you take a similar footage while flying low and rolling while looking over your wing? I would really like to to see objects moving fast.

No problem it's hard to record with a phone and you lose so much detail but here is another clip I recorded.

Okay... so I upgraded to a single GTX 1070 from two 970s in SLI (which had issues because SLI)..... and now my performance is worse than ever with DCS. Constant hitching on relatively empty maps in (both latest updates) 1.5x and in 2.0x. The F-5 instant action in 2.0 on Nevada is nearly unplayable.

Outside of VR it's pretty smooth, but still some hitching. We get a bad patch? It's been a few weeks since I tried it when I realized the 970s weren't cutting it.

You'll have to post your cpu/memory, hard disk type etc. All of it matters.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Sorry to ask but what's the point of this?

Recording a 90Hz low-persistence screen with a smartphone camera...? Will give you no idea how it looks in real life.

PC HW: i5 3770k@4.6GHz | Asus 1080Ti | 16GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO | MSI MPower Z77 Input: MS FFB2 w/ F-16 FLCS grip | CH Pro Throttle | MFG Crosswind | HTC Vive DCS modules: F-14, FW-190, P-51, Bf109, UH1, Mi-8, FC3, CE2

I know what the Vive looks like in RL because I have one. I am very well aware of the limitation of that type of recording. I am looking for that awful ghosting I get with reprojection and that should be noticable on the phone camera too. As far as I can judge Windys footage he doesn't get the judders and ghosting as bad as I do - so I have to investigate my setup further because there must be something going wrong.

Sorry to ask but what's the point of this?

Recording a 90Hz low-persistence screen with a smartphone camera...? Will give you no idea how it looks in real life.

The ghosting happens based on what is seen through both eyes... Recording only one won't reproduce it.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

No problem it's hard to record with a phone and you lose so much detail but here is another clip I recorded.

I know that this might be too much to ask you but I would really appreciate it if you can make a similar video from your phone showing the F15 gauges such HSI and the radar screen. Im mainly getting the VR for the F15 and I just want to see how the gauges look .

Thank you very much in advance.

OK there's a file called "steamvr.vrsettings" in the \Steam\config location (wherever you installed Steam).

You'll have these first two lines here at the end of your "steamvr" section in that file. Add the last line. Note that there is NOT a comma at the end of the last line in each section.

"playAreaColor" : "#0092FF00",

"powerOffOnExit" : true,

"renderTargetMultiplier" : 1.5

The target multiplier is the pixel density. It's VERY expensive performance wise... VERY.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

Some of the SteamVR releases were apparently rounding the renderTargetMultiplier; so if you had it below 1.5 it reverted to 1 and above it went to 2). I can't confirm, but read about it happening for a while. It may be fixed now. Would be great if they could just make the darn thing an easily user configurable thing.

[EDIT]

it's fixed in the beta

http://steamcommunity.com/games/250820/announcements/detail/597112859862346176

Edited by DBO

i7-6900K, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, G1 GTX 1080, Samsung 950 PRO 512GB, SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2TB, Corsair H115i, Saitek X55, MFG Crosswind pedals, X34 Predator, & a Vive

OK there's a file called "steamvr.vrsettings" in the \Steam\config location (wherever you installed Steam).

You'll have these first two lines here at the end of your "steamvr" section in that file. Add the last line. Note that there is NOT a comma at the end of the last line in each section.

"playAreaColor" : "#0092FF00",

"powerOffOnExit" : true,

"renderTargetMultiplier" : 1.5

The target multiplier is the pixel density. It's VERY expensive performance wise... VERY.

Thank you. I need to give it a try.

DCS Finland | SF squadron

Okay, my steamvr -section says the following:

"steamvr" : {

"allowReprojection" : false,

"background" : "E:\\Program files\\Steam\\steamapps\\workshop\\content\\250820\\651285679\\fallout.png",

"showStage" : true

},

There is no playaracolor or poweroffonexit... but I assume the "renderTargetMultiplier" : 1.5 should just be added on the line before the bracet, correct?

Let's give this a shot...

DCS Finland | SF squadron