Valve/HTC Vive Discussion

Python

You'd be better running 1.0-1.2 PD on only one and then running as much anti-aliasing as possible.

Turning the PD up makes the distant aircraft smaller on the up-scaled image. then it gets scaled back down to fit in the pixels of the VR display making the targets harder to spot.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

Hello,

SteamVR beta for my OSVR HDK2 is reporting in setting/ developer / supersampling a resolution of 2060x1200 per eye instead of global display. See attached picture. I want to know if it is a problem with steamVR or with the OSVR software suite. Can anyone give the value he had for his Vive ?

Capture.JPG.498d9664fb4bfb421bbbf8c17378f651.JPG

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

• 1 month later...

Yeah it does seem that performance took a bit of a hit with the latest patches. I'm sure they're working on it though.

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

1.6 in Steam VR is the same as 1.3 on the DCS slider so that makes sense.

Also... It's better to use less PD and more MSAA. Even to the point of going as low as say 1.2 in the Steam VR slider and 4x or 8x in MSAA.

The reasoning behind that is when considering spotting...

PD renders the scene very large, then scales it down to the size needed... Very small details get wiped out.

MSAA blows the image up, softens it, them scales it back down. Small details are "blurred" but not lost. You'll notice a HUGE spotting difference between say 1.2PD and 4xMSAA vs 1.6PD and 2xMSAA. They'll look about the same... but the one with less PD will allow you to spot targets easier.

Try setting two friendly WWII planes to close on each other at those two setting configs (start at say 60Km apart at say 15K'), turn on labels as soon as you can spot he other plane and report back :).

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone upgraded from the standard vive head strap to the new deluxe audio head strap ?

As I tried a friends oculus rift and quite liked the way the rift strap worked with the ear phones and the way the strap felt more comfortable.

Does the deluxe audio head strap make the vive feel more comfortable generally and less heavy on the front?

Many thanks.

Has anyone upgraded from the standard vive head strap to the new deluxe audio head strap ?

As I tried a friends oculus rift and quite liked the way the rift strap worked with the ear phones and the way the strap felt more comfortable.

Does the deluxe audio head strap make the vive feel more comfortable generally and less heavy on the front?

Many thanks.

I have it, I do think it's a lot more comfortable. Its also crazy easy to adjust since you're just turning a knob. If you liked the way the Rift felt, you'll probably like this better. (had a Rift briefly and returned it)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new to VR and considering the HTV Vive or Oculus.

Did the price just come down on the Vive? Showing $599 at Amazon.

Also. My specs are a Win 7 Pro, GTX-970, 16 gb of RAM, 4690K O/C'd.

Would SLI of my GTX 970 help? Upgrade to more memory?

ASUS Z87-PRO, I5-4690K OC to 4.5, 16gb G-Skill, ASUS GTX-970, 3x32" Samsung 1080p TVs, TrackIR 5, Cougar MFD, Logitech Extreme 3D, 250Gb Samsung SSD, 2 TB WD Black

I'm new to VR and considering the HTV Vive or Oculus.

Did the price just come down on the Vive? Showing $599 at Amazon.

Also. My specs are a Win 7 Pro, GTX-970, 16 gb of RAM, 4690K O/C'd.

Would SLI of my GTX 970 help? Upgrade to more memory?

Yes the Vive had a recent price drop due to the Oculus pricing, currently the Rift bundle is app 100.00 USD cheaper.

SLI will not do anything currently for VR.

Your rig will run it, be aware Normandy currently is very demanding even on the best systems out there. Probably best upgrade you could do would be to go to a 1080 or better yet 1080 Ti GPU. Unless of course you wanted to do a complete new build.

Also I would upgrade to Windows 10, better for VR IMHO. Especially for ASW purposes.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Thanks. Do you think the community has a leaning one way or the other on Rift vs Vive for DCS?

ASUS Z87-PRO, I5-4690K OC to 4.5, 16gb G-Skill, ASUS GTX-970, 3x32" Samsung 1080p TVs, TrackIR 5, Cougar MFD, Logitech Extreme 3D, 250Gb Samsung SSD, 2 TB WD Black

Thanks. Do you think the community has a leaning one way or the other on Rift vs Vive for DCS?

From all I have read over the last several months, I think there is a slight tip toward the Rift. The Vive does do larger room scale better, but also appears to have a little more pronounced SDE ( Screen Door Effect ).

Having said that, you won't go wrong with either one. One thing also about the Rift, it requires some good USB 3.0 ports for it's sensors, whereas I believe the Vive sensors only require 2.0 ports.

I added an Innatek USB 3.0 powered card to my rig just for the Rift, and I have never had issue with it. You can run the Oculus Compatibility Tool to see how your system stacks up for running a Rift.

https://support.oculus.com/1357437467617798

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• 3 weeks later...

just stumbled upon this thread and since i got recently my HTC Vive VR headset (and a new pc config for it) , overall my VR experience is good (mostly over NEVADA) and there is one thing i wanted to add, the worst aircarft ever currently to fly in DCS with the VR is the Mirage 2000C by Razbam! and that is very disappointing.

My custom made aircraft skins and other content for DCS World!

WIN 10  / 64Gb RAM DDR4 @ 4000mhz / i9-10900KF @ 5.3ghz / NVIDIA GeForce 3090 RTX / SSD Samsung EVO 970 / VIRPIL / MFG Crosswind / Pimax 5k+ 

just stumbled upon this thread and since i got recently my HTC Vive VR headset (and a new pc config for it) , overall my VR experience is good (mostly over NEVADA) and there is one thing i wanted to add, the worst aircarft ever currently to fly in DCS with the VR is the Mirage 2000C by Razbam! and that is very disappointing.

im likinging your apache profile pic... i only hope DCS will make a AH64 module

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

Back in the Saddle, again

Hey, DCS people! It's been awhile; I hung up the flight stick for over a year due to moving across country, new job, new house, renovations, etc.

But I'm back - and this time 'geared up' with an HTC Vive. I chose it over the Rift primarily because of the gaming other family members wanted to do ( more wide field of view room scale experiences ), even though I think the Rift might have had a slight edge over the Vive when considering DCS solely.

Couple of things I've needed to re/un-learn so far:

• Labels are not a "gamey" gimmick

It turns out that the current state of the art VR gear makes it damned hard to spot even main battle tanks parked in the middle of a wheat field, only a couple of kilometers out. You
    need
    labels.

I've "hacked" my labels.lua to give everything a dark grey centered dot, within a given range ( too close = no dot, too far = no dot, with distances depending on unit type). That's all I'm willing to concede ;) No faction colors, no text data, etc; is
    something
    there, or not - only.

• Combat aircraft cockpits are damn small!

They looked roomy enough on a 2D monitor with TrackIR - but damn, I feel like I'm slipping on the F-5 or the SU-25 like a pair of pants ( although the L-39C has some room ) which leads me to ...

• The Immersion is awesome!

This feels 80% as real as flying a C-172 - not bad for a video game!

I don't have kinesthetic cues like I do in a real plane, but all the visual cues and checks - quick glances at wingtips to judge pitch & bank, keeping part of my attention of the forward 'sight picture' to see if the nose is side-slipping ( and thus my yaw correction is off ) or my pitch is good, etc. - this is not only possibly in VR, but instinctive. I'd say that my in game piloting ability has gone way up because of the VR immersion.

Couple that with the "I'm wearing the damn plane, not sitting in it" scale of combat aircraft cockpits, and it feels less like the "I'm driving an air minivan" feeling I get from a Cessna, to an "
    I'm
    flying, I'm just wearing this plane to make that possible" feeling.

It was unexpectedly viscerally "rollar coaster real" the first time I "rolled in" on a ground target with the Frogfoot :D And putting a P-51D into a spin and pulling her back out is
    awesome
    in VR!

Landing is also much, much easier.

• Bigger is NOT better for graphics settings in VR

This is still a work in progress, but I'm trimming down my graphics resolution & simplifying rendered details which would get lost in the headset displays anyway, in order to drive up FPS.

Advice / Suggestions on this front would be
    very
    welcome.

• I can't read the numbers, but I can see the needles

Surprisingly, the aircraft instrumentation is usable,
    with
    a little experience and practice. I might need to lean in to identify an instrument I'm not familiar with, or read the scale, but with instruments I know, I can tell
    solely
    from the needle position what an instrument is reading.

One tricky exception: a Soviet-era HSI with its fine needles is a bit more of a challenge, although the flight-director needles on the ADI are easy to follow, so if you're got your RSBN programmed correctly, you're OK.

•  

• Bind functions to your HOTAS buttons, use the clickable cockpit, or use Voice Attack!

Pushing up your headset a bit to peek down at the keyboard is possible, but a real pain-in-the-ass.

• The Vive Headset, and a pint glass of beer are hard to reconcile

What is the world coming to, when a combat pilot can't drink beer on a mission?! :mad:

Maybe I need to get some glass straws ....

All in all - Flight Sims are ( for me ) the killer VR app :D

I really am looking forward to the next few generations of VR gear for speed and resolution improvements - but even at the current state, I'd take this over 2D.

• Like 1

I have a Vive ( and Rift) as well. Love flying the Warthog in VR!

I decided the best way for me to learn is on the flat screen. Then, when Ive memorized all the HOTAS commands by heart I put on the VR HMD and fly into the sunset...

LOVE IT!

Win 10 I7 6700K @ 4.0 GHZ. 16 gig memory GTX 1070 SSD

Something else I've noticed: I need to be able to move my physical HOTAS controls around in 3D space.

It's disorienting when the throttle assembly I can see and the throttle assembly I can feel are in different places in space; I need to be able to move the latter to match the former.

Edited by Vedexent

Was about ready to pull the trigger since the price on Rift is down again. But noticed in the Amazon page it says: "NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti/AMD Radeon RX 470 or greater Graphics Card Required"

I have a GTX-970. I thought it would run it! and the app test they says says it's GTG. What's up?

Was about ready to pull the trigger since the price on Rift is down again. But noticed in the Amazon page it says: "NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti/AMD Radeon RX 470 or greater Graphics Card Required"

I have a GTX-970. I thought it would run it! and the app test they says says it's GTG. What's up?

A 970 will run it, a 1070 or 1080 would certainly run it better. A 1050 is not that great a card really.

Keep in mind DCS is pretty demanding though, especially say Normandy, so your mileage may vary.

Don B

Thanks again. is the current version for sale the CV1?

Yes.

Don B

Well the price seems good on the Rift. But I'm concerned about the resolution and my GTX-970. I can't afford the Rift and a 1080ti right now.

I fly the A-10C and the targets are hard enough to find in the Mavericks as it is now w/ my set up. Any assessment on how they are in the RIft?

And for some reason the lettering on the panels (like the ILS or avionics panel or lighting panel) is really fuzzy using my rig.

Edited by pwrmx24

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi, I am looking for some VR advice.

I am only interested in VR for DCS or other flight sims, I am not interested in room scale stuff.

I am interested in the Vive Pro but it comes with the headset and the Link Box - that's it.

Do I need to buy two base stations for the head tracking or is there some other way to do it?

What else do I need to buy ?

Can I use the Vive with DCS without Steam (I don't have Steam or any DCS Steam modules)?

Anything else I need to consider ?

Thanks.

Edited by speedbird5