Valve/HTC Vive Discussion

Python

2448x2448 per eye sure is sick, and it has a better FOV than most headsets, only with the Index and Pimax being better. Could potentially be the new top notch thing for flying. Except for one thing:

fps left the chat.

And with controllers (they still sell the stone age clubs with the thing, so get the Index knuckles instead) and base stations you're up to 1500 bucks with the thing unless you had something Lighthouse system before. At least I wouldn't get one without controllers. DCS cockpit things in VR with just the mouse is a major pain in the plot.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

I'm in the "Want a headset to replace my CV1" boat.

But classic "Pick 2 of 3" conundrum.

Affordable

Resolution

FOV

Somewhat leaning towards Index, just because of the FOV and then I'll have the base stations and Controllers for a future headset upgrade...but the resolution over the CV1 is minimal from all accounts, which makes me sad.

1 hour ago, A2597 said:

I'm in the "Want a headset to replace my CV1" boat.

But classic "Pick 2 of 3" conundrum.

Affordable

Resolution

FOV

Somewhat leaning towards Index, just because of the FOV and then I'll have the base stations and Controllers for a future headset upgrade...but the resolution over the CV1 is minimal from all accounts, which makes me sad.

If I were you, I'd wait for the reviews of the Vive Pro 2, rather than spending on the Index right now. 

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390

32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB CAS 14

EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Ultra XC2

256gb Samsung 869 Pro (Boot Drive)

1TB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus

Seasoninc 1000w Titanium Ultra PSU

34" ASUS PG348

With the Vive Pro 2, the extra $400 really throws me, plus...bad controllers at that price point. If I could just spend the $800 on the headset, sure...but I need two base stations, new controllers (since I do some roomscale) and the headset. So $999 gets me into the Steam VR ecosystem with the Index, and I can later update just the headset. (Possibly with whatever the *next* gen is).

Right now there is no other option besides Pimax you if want a dual 2.5K screen SteamVR Headset.  The Index 2 will probably happen but likely not anytime soon since version 1 is still selling relatively well.  I don’t like the HTC tax (they typically price their headset $200 above the norm), but they do make some of the most accommodating headsets that I’ve tried (widest IPD range, support wide frame eyeglasses, excellent comfort adjustment, etc.).  The Index isn’t comfortable if I wear my glasses forcing me to wear contacts or use prescription lens adapter.  You can also save some money by buying basestation 1.0 instead which is a lot cheaper.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

7 hours ago, A2597 said:

With the Vive Pro 2, the extra $400 really throws me, plus...bad controllers at that price point. If I could just spend the $800 on the headset, sure...but I need two base stations, new controllers (since I do some roomscale) and the headset. So $999 gets me into the Steam VR ecosystem with the Index, and I can later update just the headset. (Possibly with whatever the *next* gen is).

Ah ok, I thought you were just referring to VR for DCS. 

I'm actually still really happy with my Rift S. lol

Edited by JG27_Arklight

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390

32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB CAS 14

EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Ultra XC2

256gb Samsung 869 Pro (Boot Drive)

1TB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus

Seasoninc 1000w Titanium Ultra PSU

34" ASUS PG348

actually just realized Vive lets you a-la-carte purchase...

So I could get the Vive Pro 2 with a single base station for around 1k, and then buy Knuckles and a second base station later.

Now *that* is tempting...

On 5/14/2021 at 10:30 AM, A2597 said:

actually just realized Vive lets you a-la-carte purchase...

So I could get the Vive Pro 2 with a single base station for around 1k, and then buy Knuckles and a second base station later.

Now *that* is tempting...

Yes and if you subscribe to their newsletter you can preorder it for $749...there's no way I would go Index with the Vive 2 being superior in every way on the headset side...

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

54 minutes ago, Greekbull said:

Yes and if you subscribe to their newsletter you can preorder it for $749...there's no way I would go Index with the Vive 2 being superior in every way on the headset side...

Yeah I got an Index like a week before the announcement came out for the Vive Pro 2.

I use it for my made for VR games that utilize controllers, and the Reverb G2 for flight sim. 

Well at least I already have the Lighthouse tracking system, so have pre-ordered the Vive Pro 2 headset.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

It looks like some of the YouTubers already have Vive Pro 2 in their hands. Expect to see some initial impressions within next few days. 

Edit:

Per Sebastian Ang’s own testing, 114 deg horizontal FOV (vs Index’s 108, and Reverb’s 98)

Edited by Supmua
  • Like 1

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Checking the reviews of Vive Pro 2, I get disappointed. Their pricing is much higher than that for Valve, but the only thing where there is improvement is colors and resolution. That FOV improvement over Index is marginal, basically the panels are rotated 90 degrees 🤭. For any serious FOV increase there is only Pimax and the expensive industry grade gear. Simultaneously, the audio side on Pro 2 appears to be very poor, sweet spot remains small, and lens glare is significant just like in Index. Very difficult to justify the price bump, I would say. 

Dburne, please may we have a comparison from you written here on Index vs Pro 2 when you get it? 

Edited by RedX

Intel Core i7 9700K@4.6GHz|ASUS Strix Z390-H|G.Skill DDR4 32GB@3200MHz|MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti|2xSSD 500GB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 RAID0|SSD Samsung 850 EVO|Corsair HX 750W|Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout|UWQHD 34"|Valve Index|Logitech G9|MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000|VPC WarBRD Base+MongoosT-50CM2 Grip|VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle|VKB T-Rudder|Beyerdynamic DT770|Boom mic|Windows 10 Home

On 5/30/2021 at 12:07 PM, A2597 said:

I'm getting one too. Coming from cv1. 🙂

👍

That should certainly be a very nice upgrade.

On 5/30/2021 at 6:19 AM, RedX said:

Checking the reviews of Vive Pro 2, I get disappointed. Their pricing is much higher than that for Valve, but the only thing where there is improvement is colors and resolution. That FOV improvement over Index is marginal, basically the panels are rotated 90 degrees 🤭. For any serious FOV increase there is only Pimax and the expensive industry grade gear. Simultaneously, the audio side on Pro 2 appears to be very poor, sweet spot remains small, and lens glare is significant just like in Index. Very difficult to justify the price bump, I would say. 

Dburne, please may we have a comparison from you written here on Index vs Pro 2 when you get it? 

Sure thing.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Alright, got a Vive Pro 2. Glare is as bad as on the Index, resolution is great, it is just not as needle sharp as the G2 in the center. Audio is okay (Index/G2 being the cream of the crop here), tracking is flawless as expected. Overall it is a good jack of all trades but if flightsimming is all you do, the G2 is still probably the better option here. I play other VR stuff too, so for me the VP2 is a welcome upgrade (had Index and G2 before). Still, I wish somebody would make a headset like that with proper aspheric lenses, stacked fresnels can't make these great display panels shine like they'd deserve.

I wish there was a company where you could purchase better lenses and probably modify your distortion profile to make it all work, similar to the people who put GearVR lenses on their OG vives.

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

7 hours ago, mhe said:

Alright, got a Vive Pro 2. Glare is as bad as on the Index, resolution is great, it is just not as needle sharp as the G2 in the center. Audio is okay (Index/G2 being the cream of the crop here), tracking is flawless as expected. Overall it is a good jack of all trades but if flightsimming is all you do, the G2 is still probably the better option here. I play other VR stuff too, so for me the VP2 is a welcome upgrade (had Index and G2 before). Still, I wish somebody would make a headset like that with proper aspheric lenses, stacked fresnels can't make these great display panels shine like they'd deserve.

I wish there was a company where you could purchase better lenses and probably modify your distortion profile to make it all work, similar to the people who put GearVR lenses on their OG vives.

Good to hear as I am coming from having an Index and Reverb G2 as well. I use them both because I like the Index controllers and tracking for VR games, and Reverb G2 for flight sims.

Hoping I can get back to using just one headset with the Vive Pro 2.

• Like 1

Don B

The Vive software still needs work and the glare is like the Index—but screen res, horizontal FOV, edge to edge clarity are very nice.

Edited by Supmua
  • Like 1

even if everything else is better on the valve index, the screen of the vive pro 2 is incomparable 🤩

i will never come back to my ex so loved index 😱

Edited by Bvv.Fr

this game is incredible 🤘

45 minutes ago, Bvv.Fr said:

even is everything else is better on the valve index, the screen of the vive pro 2 is incomparable 🤩

i will never come back to my ex so loved index 😱

Sounding good! Hope mine arrives next week.

Don B