Valve/HTC Vive Discussion

Python

Yes. if this thing didn't have the Index glare, it would be damn near perfect. Just the microphone is awful (fixable) and some of the ergonomics need customizing to the user, depending on your particular needs. So far I replaced all the stock foam with vrcover addons and put a cross-strap on it made by Studioform Creative. Balance is much improved and I stay in the sweet spot at all times. Now I need some thicker padding on the cheekbones  specifically to take the weight off my nose. I have removed the rubber flaps below the lenses already, they were pressing against my lower eyelid since I am so close to the lens now. 

This thing is growing on me. Also, people who have used the G2 before, delete or your steamvr.vrsettings file in steam/config file, I had some weird phenomenons with leftover config data from WMR from my G2 in there. 

Playing other stuff than DCS on the headset has shown me what it is capable of, damn shame that reprojection does take its toll on clarity quite a bit and that DCS is nowhere near running at a constant 90fps yet (and on my current hardware, it probably never will, even if Vulkan and Multithreading turn out to be silver bullets). 

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

I bought index controllers and two v1 base stations. Everything works great. 🙂

Love the headset thus far.

HTC has made it very clear that you should turn off the link box when headset is not in use. It does not seem to enter a good sleep state when closing steamVR. 

39 minutes ago, A2597 said:

I bought index controllers and two v1 base stations. Everything works great. 🙂

Love the headset thus far.

HTC has made it very clear that you should turn off the link box when headset is not in use. It does not seem to enter a good sleep state when closing steamVR. 

Yeah I always turn that Link box off when not in use.

Safe practice.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

"This thing is growing on me. Also, people who have used the G2 before, delete or your steamvr.vrsettings file in steam/config file, I had some weird phenomenons with leftover config data from WMR from my G2 in there. "

Yes mhe, I had the same thing. Gave me terrible distortion in my image. Deleting everything manually and reinstalling Vive console fixed it all up. The Vive Pro 2 has been great after that.

7700K@5Ghz, 32GB 3600 CL16, 3080.

On 6/20/2021 at 3:49 AM, SneakyBastd said:

"This thing is growing on me. Also, people who have used the G2 before, delete or your steamvr.vrsettings file in steam/config file, I had some weird phenomenons with leftover config data from WMR from my G2 in there. "

Yes mhe, I had the same thing. Gave me terrible distortion in my image. Deleting everything manually and reinstalling Vive console fixed it all up. The Vive Pro 2 has been great after that.

Awesome thanks for the tip, my headset is so much clearer now. Felt cross-eyed before. Must of also had som leftover stuff from my G2

Completely agree, finally have it dialed in now with DCS & WOW. 

Now if they could give us native steam vr motion reprojection. I will be one happy bunny 

On 6/19/2021 at 8:49 PM, SneakyBastd said:

When I got my new Vive Pro 2 I made sure and uninstalled Steam VR and deleted everything in the appdata folders, for a fresh install with the Vive Pro 2. Probably why I started out on a good foot with it and have had a great experience with it so far.

I have logged many hours in with it now.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

2 hours ago, dburne said:

When I got my new Vive Pro 2 I made sure and uninstalled Steam VR and deleted everything in the appdata folders, for a fresh install with the Vive Pro 2. Probably why I started out on a good foot with it and have had a great experience with it so far.

I have logged many hours in with it now.

I agree, I notice less eye strain with the Vive Pro 2 after deleting all these files followed by a fresh SteamVR install.  There must be some leftover configs from our old headsets that could cause issues.

• Like 1

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

• 3 weeks later...

There's a SteamVR slider for manual brightness control for the VP2 now, but you have to disable auto-brightness control.

(Steam\steamapps\common\VIVEDriver\App\Vive\VRRuntime\ViveVR\ViveVRServer\config\default.vrsettings)

EDIT this line to look like this "EnableBrightnessControl" : false,

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

1 hour ago, Supmua said:

There's a SteamVR slider for manual brightness control for the VP2 now, but you have to disable auto-brightness control.

(Steam\steamapps\common\VIVEDriver\App\Vive\VRRuntime\ViveVR\ViveVRServer\config\default.vrsettings)

EDIT this line to look like this "EnableBrightnessControl" : false,

That is interesting may have to check that out, thanks for pointing it out.

Don B

14 hours ago, dburne said:

That is interesting may have to check that out, thanks for pointing it out.

The implementation is still rudimentary with just a slider to play with. So unless you need to manually change the brightness, just leave it on auto and wait for the full implementation. At least this is a positive sign regarding better integration with SteamVR. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Supmua said:

The implementation is still rudimentary with just a slider to play with. So unless you need to manually change the brightness, just leave it on auto and wait for the full implementation. At least this is a positive sign regarding better integration with SteamVR. 

Sounds good I will hold off a bit thanks.

Don B

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, btaft said:

Hi,

My Vive Pro died yesterday.  Ordered the Vive Pro 2.  I am wondering with the high native resolution per eye, is anti-aliasing even really needed anymore?   Running at 2080Ti

I run mine with DCS and no anti aliasing, very happy with it.

Be aware though you likely won't be able to run DCS at full resolution. But still no anti aliasing is not a problem for me.

Don B

10 hours ago, dburne said:

I run mine with DCS and no anti aliasing, very happy with it.

Be aware though you likely won't be able to run DCS at full resolution. But still no anti aliasing is not a problem for me.

Hi Don, you mean no MSAA? Dont you get bad shimmers? I have to use MSAA x2 to avoid this.....

• Like 1

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Virpil CM3 base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

6 hours ago, markturner1960 said:

Hi Don, you mean no MSAA? Dont you get bad shimmers? I have to use MSAA x2 to avoid this.....

Not really, at least not so bad it bothers me I should say.

Don B

• 2 weeks later...

Received my Vive Pro 2 late last week and I have to say I am pretty happy with it.  Ended up using ultra settings (full pixels/90 hz) in Vive Console.  DCS I pulled back some sliders and use 0.8 PD but get 45 FPS for most everything.  Only using a 2080ti.  It was an internal battle being so pleased with the extra pixels compared to the original Vive Pro looked so good but ultimately 45 fps was better than 30 fps for a combat sim and 0.8 is almost as crisp as 1.0 PD.  Overall it seems smoother than the original Vive Pro.  MSAA doesn't seem to do much for me in my view point.  In MSFS I get a very smooth experience and in iracing I easily get 90 fps.  P3D 5.2 I can't seem to get to work with it, but I have plenty else to keep me busy 🙂  

2 hours ago, btaft said:

Received my Vive Pro 2 late last week and I have to say I am pretty happy with it.  Ended up using ultra settings (full pixels/90 hz) in Vive Console.  DCS I pulled back some sliders and use 0.8 PD but get 45 FPS for most everything.  Only using a 2080ti.  It was an internal battle being so pleased with the extra pixels compared to the original Vive Pro looked so good but ultimately 45 fps was better than 30 fps for a combat sim and 0.8 is almost as crisp as 1.0 PD.  Overall it seems smoother than the original Vive Pro.  MSAA doesn't seem to do much for me in my view point.  In MSFS I get a very smooth experience and in iracing I easily get 90 fps.  P3D 5.2 I can't seem to get to work with it, but I have plenty else to keep me busy 🙂  

:thumbup:

I have been running my Vive Pro 2 since mid June and still quite pleased with it.

Don B

some years back I used the rift s but the performance of my pc was to low to run it smoothly. Now I’m looking to get back in vr.

I’m thinking to buy vive pro 2 but do I need the base station to run it? I use the standalone dcs version.
I’m only going to use it for dcs and some times il2. Other advice is welcome except oculus I don’t want a Facebook account. 

Edited by flyingdutchy

1TB Samsung evo 860 ssd MSI Z490

Intel® Core I9-10900F

32GB RAM MSI Geforce GTX 970

13 hours ago, flyingdutchy said:

some years back I used the rift s but the performance of my pc was to low to run it smoothly. Now I’m looking to get back in vr.

I’m thinking to buy vive pro 2 but do I need the base station to run it? I use the standalone dcs version.
I’m only going to use it for dcs and some times il2. Other advice is welcome except oculus I don’t want a Facebook account. 

Yes you would need at least one, two is ideal mainly if you play other VR games that use controllers.

Reverb G2 would be more economical with very similar image quality.

Don B

On 9/22/2021 at 1:11 PM, dburne said:

Yes you would need at least one, two is ideal mainly if you play other VR games that use controllers.

Reverb G2 would be more economical with very similar image quality.

Hi! The Vive Pro 2 is not an interesting upgrade from the G2 if playing DCS only?

My main concerns about the G2:
 - Eye strain, despite careful debug tool calibration, isn't as great as an occulus quest for instance

- Head tracking is still wobbly, not much when I look forward, but a lot when  looking at side panels.

Expecially, what about FOV?

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Kercheiz said:

Hi! The Vive Pro 2 is not an interesting upgrade from the G2 if playing DCS only?

My main concerns about the G2:
 - Eye strain, despite careful debug tool calibration, isn't as great as an occulus quest for instance

- Head tracking is still wobbly, not much when I look forward, but a lot when  looking at side panels.

Expecially, what about FOV?

Thanks!

IMHO for DCS alone the Vive Pro 2 is not much an upgrade over Reverb G2.

Yes slightly better FOV, but just slightly. Certainly not worth the higher cost.

The reason I got it and am glad I did - was to get back to one headset for all the gaming I do. Vive Pro 2 is great with my Index tracking and controllers (which I already had) for those other made for VR games, and is certainly as good in flight sims as Reverb G2 image quality. 

Remember yes Vive Pro 2 has higher native resolution, but won't be able to run it at that high a resolution in DCS.

So previously I was using Reverb G2 for flight sims and Index for other VR games. Now I am back to one with the Vive Pro 2 with Index tracking an controllers.

Edit:  I will also add regarding FOV I am somewhat handicapped there, I only have half FOV I used to have, am blind in the right half so those with full vision may see more the FOV improvement than I do. I only see it on left side.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Don B

6 hours ago, Kercheiz said:

Thanks! What about sweet spot ?

Well that can be very subjective , to me it seems maybe slightly larger than the Reverb G2 - not by much though.

Don B